DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Kinda building off something I posted in the MITB thread but I consider myself a pretty modern wrestling fan. However, and not to come off all James E-esque, but, by and large, I think that heels should always cheat in a match, and, more importantly, babyfaces should NEVER tap. 

Is this insanely retrograde on my part? Am I JR yelling at a cloud right now?  With the heels, yeah...maybe your monsters like Vader don't need to pull tights or whatever, but a heel should always have a weakness that comes out when confronted by the hero, whether it's cowardice, lack of heart etc. I think this is why Pete Dunne's PROGRESS run is my favorite title run in a long time. He's an ugly, surly ass-kicker but he'll use the low-blow, have his boys interfere or just break someone's joints to get that advantage.

The babyface tapping thing is a bigger issue for me. With few exceptions, they should never tap. Heroes don't give up in a fight. They die on their shield. I'd rather see ref stoppages or guys pass out then a good guy tapping wildly. Anyone with me?

Alright, now let me tell ya my thoughts on the DDT and comedy wrestling...kidding.

• Like 5

But where do you stand on babyfaces telling poopy jokes?  Or does it depend on if the joke is funny....

I'm with you on babyfaces not tapping.  I'd probably say "very rarely" instead of never, but... yeah.  Unless there's some storyline reason to tap (end the match to save your girlfriend from the dastardly heels or somesuch), it's hard to think of when I want to see a babyface tapping.  Definitely not in random tv matches.  Probably not in a PPV match during a feud.

I don't think every heel needs to cheat every time, but, yeah, most heels should be booked as chickenshits who take shortcuts either out of desperation or simply because they can.  Watch Flair and Tully in JCP.  Think they won about three non-squash matches cleanly.  Combined.

• Like 2

I had heard the plan was to bring Shelton in and make a stable of amateur guys with he, Swagger, and AA.  Repackaging AA as heels who go around wrecking people because they're angry at being overlooked or whatever is something they could pull off in-ring, though the two of them have such natural face charisma I think it might be tough.  Next to Bayley I think they got some of the worst post-NXT booking of all the callups.

Ascension? I mean, I know they aren't highly regarded in-ring, but talent level aside, to go from longest reigning tag champs and all around ass kickers in NXT to the joke they are now on the main roster is quite a drop

7 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Ascension? I mean, I know they aren't highly regarded in-ring, but talent level aside, to go from longest reigning tag champs and all around ass kickers in NXT to the joke they are now on the main roster is quite a drop

Why they haven't made Ascension somebody's hired muscle is beyond me. Send them to Raw and make them Miz's new security detail or something. 

• Like 1

I feel like they had something with the pairing with Stardust for awhile there, but then.......nothing.

And good call on Bo Dallas. Greatly entertaining NXT Champ and has done absolutely nothing worthwhile on the main roster.

2 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

If we're bringing in Scott Steiner, can we also bring in Rick, put them with Brock Lesnar and start a stable of ex-Big Ten wrestlers who go around fucking up shit? 

Varsity Club v2.0?

54 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Why they haven't made Ascension somebody's hired muscle is beyond me. Send them to Raw and make them Miz's new security detail or something. 

I think they would make good muscle for Bray Wyatt, too.  Their wasteland imagery and makeup would make great backup to Bray.

2 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I had heard the plan was to bring Shelton in and make a stable of amateur guys with he, Swagger, and AA.  Repackaging AA as heels who go around wrecking people because they're angry at being overlooked or whatever is something they could pull off in-ring, though the two of them have such natural face charisma I think it might be tough. 

Given the way WWE books their tag divisions, I don't think there's room for such fun in the Usos' world.

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

Ascension low-key became super solid hands working a steady diet of D-show matches.

Believe me. /Trump

I'm almost certainly in the minority, but I think cheating of the feet on the ropes/fistful of tights variety should be done away with. When every sport is incorporating instant replay to minimize human error, having such blatantly tainted finishes makes wrestling look behind the times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lacelle said:

How's Bo Dallas doing?

Well Bo Dallas got the gimmick of doom on RAW right now but he's only 27. I think he's a prime candidate to run out the remainder of his contract, end up doing well on big name indies and be WWE champion by the time he's 30.