DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

6 minutes ago, Dewar said:

His fellow workers all seem to hate him because he got guaranteed money from the WWF before he did. I thought he got really good as Johnny B. Badd before leaving WCW, started off hot in the WWF, then injuries did him in.

This sounds about right timeline wise. I think he has a legitimate argument for top 5 guy in the WWF in 1996.

4 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Random observation, but I've been spending a lot of time recently watching 90's WWF and WCW PPVs. How is Marc Mero regarded as a worker? Cause he's been a high point in some stuff I wasnt expecting to like much

Mero feels like the type of guy who worked really hard to be what would be considered a great worker during his era. That includes hitting a lot of unnecessary high spots and getting his stuff in for no apparent reason. Compared to what else was on wwf programming he stands out (in the same way al snow does). He had a hard time connecting with the wwf audience and just as he was he got hurt. To me his stuff doesn't hold up.

This also got me wondering, SS 96 was interesting to me because I've been on a SS run and was trying to find the SS matches with the most talentedworkers by average. 96 you had Mero, Rocky, Windham, and Roberts vs. Helmsley, Goldust, Lawler, and Crush. It kinda hit me Mero might be the 7th best of those 8 overall. I'm not sure if there were many 8 man Survivor Series teams with that high of an average talent, or with all of the talent at such odd points in there careers.

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

This also got me wondering, SS 96 was interesting to me because I've been on a SS run and was trying to find the SS matches with the most talentedworkers by average. 96 you had Mero, Rocky, Windham, and Roberts vs. Helmsley, Goldust, Lawler, and Crush. It kinda hit me Mero might be the 7th best of those 8 overall. I'm not sure if there were many 8 man Survivor Series teams with that high of an average talent, or with all of the talent at such odd points in there careers.

I assume you mean historical talent? Because in 96 he's definitely better than broken down Jake, green Rock and the Stalker. 

3 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I counter with Paul London, but it is up there.

I think Sydal's is prettier but I like London's SSP best because it looks like it hurts the opponent more.

10 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

His stuff as Johnny B. Badd holds up for me.  Haven't watched his WWE run in forever, and I haven't got any plans to revisit the Attitude Era any time soon.

His match with Pillman at Fall Brawl 95 is one of the best openers of all-time.

• Like 3

Mero deserves credit for changing his style after his injury and being part of the wave of guys that successfully reinvented themselves during the Attitude Era. Maybe he mostly stayed relevant because of Sable, but he probably got the best pay days of his career during that run. 

7 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

I assume you mean historical talent? Because in 96 he's definitely better than broken down Jake, green Rock and the Stalker. 

In 96 he might be the best guy in the match, depending on how you feel about Goldust in that time period. But yeah, I was talking historically, though I'm starting to think Meros best years are probably better then Hunters.