DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

http://www.wftv.com/news/action-9/action-9-investigates-facebook-group-for-disney-fans/533958436

I was watching the news today and saw this. Former USA pro promoter Frank Goodman is in trouble for not delivering shirts to Disney fans, Apparently, he runs a popular Disney Facebook club called Disney World Junkies. It got so popular that he didn't send people Disney Merch that people paid him for. I thought he left town when USA Pro Orlando went to bust back in 2013?

I think you guys were expecting WAY too much out of the Unreleased list.  That Rich/Sawyer cage match showing up spoiled us.

That being said, I think it's not bad.  I was bummed at first since three of the first four matches actually were released on 24/7.  But there a few matches piquing my interest:

The Megapowers vs. The Hart Foundation & Honky Tonk Man (always thought there were only two true Megapowers matches.  The first and the last.)

Ted DiBiase vs. Dusty Rhodes (and that's actually a big one because that was a shock surprise to everyone since it was the dark match and it wasn't well-known that Rhodes had signed with WWF.)

LOD vs. Demolition (one of the very few matches Ax actually wrestled in the feud.)

Sid Justice vs. Ted DiBiase (Sid's first WWF match.)

And THIS is the one I REALLY want to see:  Jake Roberts vs. Mr. Madness (I've never seen proof that Randy Savage wrestled under a mask to get past the retirement stip.  Really excited to see what batshit thing he has on.)

Plus Bret and Shawn teaming up, an early Taz sighting, and the bizarre early incarnate of the Smoking Gunns.  

I actually think it's worth getting.  But if nobody buys it, then yes, we'll never see Bret Hart vs. Tom Magee.  Unless there is a Dave Meltzer estate sale.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

actually think it's worth getting.  But if nobody buys it, then yes, we'll never see Bret Hart vs. Tom Magee.  Unless there is a Dave Meltzer estate sale.

We need to do a board-organized heist on Dave's tape collection before it rots. 

Anyways, that and the Taker/Savage match are what I really wanted to see. But instead, we get two Horowitz matches. Cool. 

They should've thrown Angle/Owen on there, but Martha would probably have a dumb ass fit about it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

We need to do a board-organized heist on Dave's tape collection before it rots.  

I totally wrote that with that image in mind.  I have a lot of VHS tapes just sitting around too (with most of them having no markings), but they'd fit in one or two of those tubs, not the dozen he has.  I can see why he doesn't bother.  

I think my favourite thing about the NJPW on AXS TV stuff (We're still like 2 years behind on these in Canada, BTW), is when there's some gimmick related to anime and Josh Barnett goes overboard explaining it because you can tell he's a HUGE fan.  It was funny when he did it with Renallo because Mauro would say something like "How on Earth did you know that?" and Barnett would sheepishly admit to being a fan.  But, it's AMAZING with Jim Ross because JR just goes silent and has nothing to offer so Barnett goes on and on (On this episode it was about 'Fist of the North Star') and then JR just starts talking about something else.

A close second is when Barnett is totally unimpressed by something and just makes fun of it.  Him calling the Big Daddy Yum Yum match was amazing: starting with him making up nicknames for BDYY ("The Yumster!"), then making fun of his terrible ring attire, then just flat-out mocking him for missing a stomp by three feet.  Even Mauro got in on the action with that one, when they skipped ahead in the clipped match he said "We skip ahead...probably for the best".

I would pay money to be able to watch Raw with Josh Barnett on commentary, being allowed to say whatever he wants. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I totally wrote that with that image in mind.  I have a lot of VHS tapes just sitting around too (with most of them having no markings), but they'd fit in one or two of those tubs, not the dozen he has.  I can see why he doesn't bother.  

The sad thing is, there is absolutely someone out there who is willing to do it for him. 

That being said, if we're doing a heist, and need some soldiers, recruit us GTA thread posters. We're well versed. We'll ensure no casualties and make sure it's all for the greater good. 

This is irrelevant, but it reminded me of this... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

That being said, if we're doing a heist, and need some soldiers, recruit us GTA thread posters. We're well versed. We'll ensure no casualties and make sure it's all for the greater good. 

I mean ... Unless we want guys who will perform the heist perfectly and yet somehow find a way to stupidly blow up the payload while trying to pull into the garage - the GTA crew (at least the XBox side) probably isn't the best idea...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

And THIS is the one I REALLY want to see:  Jake Roberts vs. Mr. Madness (I've never seen proof that Randy Savage wrestled under a mask to get past the retirement stip.  Really excited to see what batshit thing he has on.)

I remember one of the Apter mags had a pic of Savage wrestling as Mr. Madness. They did a story taking him to task for it as he was supposed to be a virtuous babyface yet he was going back on his word. 

3 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

But they could use that canopy from the last few outdoor shows. 

Yeah that's good for covering the ring. The problem is that there would be seats on the pitch, and the pitch is not covered. 

55 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Yeah that's good for covering the ring. The problem is that there would be seats on the pitch, and the pitch is not covered. 

It's cute you think they care about the fans... err.... Universe

• Like 4

8 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

The sad thing is, there is absolutely someone out there who is willing to do it for him. 

>_>

• Like 1

PWI is saying Mike Bennett and Maria Kanellis will debut for the WWE on Tuesday's Smackdown with an outside chance they show up during MITB this weekend

So is that it?  Did the WWE get everyone of any value out of TNA now?  

Good for Maria getting back to WWE.  I wonder if she'll work another lingerie pillow fight against Nia Jax. 

It would certainly be interesting if WWE hired the same cameramen as NJPW.  Was watching the intros to the Anderson/Gallows/Gallows-Bennett/Taven/Kanellis match last night and the camera-angles and zooms on Maria were absolutely SHAMELESS.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So is that it?  Did the WWE get everyone of any value out of TNA now?  

Good for Maria getting back to WWE.  I wonder if she'll work another lingerie pillow fight against Nia Jax. 

Rosemary and Bobby Lashley can turn out the lights when they eventually leave.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, caley said:

It would certainly be interesting if WWE hired the same cameramen as NJPW.  Was watching the intros to the Anderson/Gallows/Gallows-Bennett/Taven/Kanellis match last night and the camera-angles and zooms on Maria were absolutely SHAMELESS.

I'll volunteer for the position. I used to film shows that my best friend's band played, so I have some experience. I'll be nice to Rippa and I won't post the clip of Maria gyrating on the apron to distract AJ and Karl Anderson.