DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

28 minutes ago, gatling said:

That's kind of what I was hoping, that there wouldn't be much pyro.  That's what I know would shake her up when it went off, having experienced it myself a number of times at Raw and Smackdown over the years.  I think she'll be fine with the entrance music and whatever crowd noise there, I think she'll be amped up enough that it won't bother her.  Sudden loud noise like the pyro has always been an issue and why we haven't taken her to a show before.  If this goes well, we'll look into getting tickets for the next time NXT rolls through Indy.

Yeah, no fireworks/pyro at House Shows. I think they only thing they still use is the dry ice "fog" blast:

IMG_0740.jpg

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

This was before the Disney tapings had started though, just regular television tapings. Badly timed television tapings. :)

Yeah, the match was taped in Alabama according to that link. The Disney tapings threw a monkey wrench into the Hollywood Blond's title loss. Pillman hurt his ankle or knee after they'd taped the Arn and Roma as the new champs with the belts. So they couldn't call off the match at the Clash where the Blond's were supposed to lose the title so they just had Regal sub for him in the title loss.

6 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I want to say the New Breed, but they held the tag titles in Florida for a month or two before JCP.  Still, they formed in 2002 and didn't win a title until 1986, so that's 16 years - twice as long as the Faces of Fear.

There was a funny rant by Alvarez on the recent NWA retro show last week about New Breed when they were facing the Hardy Boys. He made a joke about how if they were from 2002, and the Broken Hardys had mentioned (I think) facing any team from any time in the universe. That they traveled back in time to 2002, to fight the New Breed, in 1987. 

At least that was the gist of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

You need to see the Mid South Sheepherders vs Fans matches from 85-86. Fucking awesome, and a bunch are on the NWA On Demand service.

It's five bucks a month. It's time. I've been meaning to get this and go into Paypal to get the Portland set from Goodhelmet. I am getting both of those done in the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

What is the longest a tag team has gone together (non jobber division) without ever winning a title in wrestling

Killer Bees? Or did they win the UWF (Abrams) titles? Strangely, I can't remember a damned thing about that title lineage. 

11 minutes ago, Shane said:

Killer Bees? Or did they win the UWF (Abrams) titles? Strangely, I can't remember a damned thing about that title lineage. 

They won the UWF Tag Titles at Blackjack Brawl - which was the promotion's final show.

I'm kinda appalled I remember this.  I hate to think what useful factoid I've forgotten so I could remember that match.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Yeah, the match was taped in Alabama according to that link. The Disney tapings threw a monkey wrench into the Hollywood Blond's title loss. Pillman hurt his ankle or knee after they'd taped the Arn and Roma as the new champs with the belts. So they couldn't call off the match at the Clash where the Blond's were supposed to lose the title so they just had Regal sub for him in the title loss.

It's even better/worse than that. They taped Arn and Roma with the belts before a ppv. Word leaked on dirt sheets, and then WCW had the Blondes retain the belts as a shocking swerve~! because they still had the Clash right before they had to start airing that stuff. Then the injury happened...

I was just reading about that late-93 period, and apparently, they filmed footage at the Disney tapings of the Blonds feuding with the Nasty Boys, of all people, after they would've lost the belts.  But then they had Austin turn on Pillman on fucking WORLDWIDE (seriously, the fuck?) and that was that.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

How great would it be if  WWE Network put up a collection of events that "didn't happen."

Shit, this would be amazing.  Just stuff from their old tapings and WCW's - I assume there's full footage of the Worldwide tapings somewhere in the WCW library.

* Blonds apparently feuding with the Nasty Boys
* Sid Vicious as WCW World champion in 1993

Toss in stuff from the WWF vaults of the "twists" they did at tapings, like Luger stealing the World title from Yoko before Mania and being introduced as WWF Champion for the span of a taping before WM10.

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Vince Russo: Hey Vince, you really want to fuck with that hayseed Cornette this time?

Vince McMahon: Sure thing, pal.

Vince Russo: We'll package Sparky Plugg and Bart Gunn as the New Midnight Express!

Vince McMahon: Russo, when you're done with that, get me one of those meat wrap sandwiches I love.

Vince Russo: You mean a burrito, bro?

Cornette talked about that. On the creative team Cornette would travel with Vince McMahon. Vince would be bewildered when people would bypass him and go to Cornette asking about the Midnight Express. Especially since Vince barely knew who the Midnights were. So Vince thought doing a new version was a good idea.

Russo probably was trying to screw with him.  Cornette decided not to fight it since it would be a big break for Bob and Bart. 

who would have worked in that position? Bearing in mind anything with 'new' in the title invariably sucked (except maybe New Blackjacks... but I'm probably biased there as I thought they looked badass)

18 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Wonder if Dusty Rhodes was president?

This might get yanked, but fuck it... Certainly would have been an improvement on what we have now...

• Like 15

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

who would have worked in that position? Bearing in mind anything with 'new' in the title invariably sucked (except maybe New Blackjacks... but I'm probably biased there as I thought they looked badass)

Nobody could have made it work. You'll notice Cornette never tried to call Lane and Pritchard the Midnight Express. Which would have had two signature members and a great talent in Doctor Tom. 

The New Blackjacks were a good team, but looking like carbon copies of the Blackjacks did not help. I also thought they were a poor fit for 1997 WWF. But Barry was still a strong worker and JB Voldemort was fine. Thought they woulda had a better look as blonds. 

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:
18 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

This might get yanked, but fuck it... Certainly would have been an improvement on what we have now...

Two dogs humping would be an improvement on what we have now. 

• Like 11

There's basically no team that's going to work as "New" versions of an old. New MX, New Blackjacks, New Rockers. All died a quick death. This is booking 101. Don't reference old gimmicks, just rip them off wholesale. There's a storied tradition of that (Flair, Demolition).

3 minutes ago, Cristobal said:

There's basically no team that's going to work as "New" versions of an old. New MX, New Blackjacks, New Rockers. All died a quick death. This is booking 101. Don't reference old gimmicks, just rip them off wholesale. There's a storied tradition of that (Flair, Demolition).

"Good artists imitate, great artists steal." - Salvador Dali

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

With the exception of Naomi, every champ on both brands are currently heels.

Extend past Raw & SDL and she still ends up the only face champ because even Asuka at best is a tweener.