DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I want to say the New Breed, but they held the tag titles in Florida for a month or two before JCP.  Still, they formed in 2002 and didn't win a title until 1986, so that's 16 years - twice as long as the Faces of Fear.

Actually, that's -16 years, which would give them the record for winning a title in the shortest amount of time.

• Like 6

How does crowd noise/pyro compare at house shows to Raw or Smackdown?  The wife and I bought tickets to take our daughter to the Smackdown Live house show in Indy on the 19th, but she doesn't always do well with loud noise.  I'm hoping she won't have to sit and cover her ears the whole time or anything.  We're at the opposite end from the entrance ramp, mainly in case they did any pyro for the entrances--I wasn't sure if they did or not as I've only been to televised shows or tapings.  Hopefully it's not too bad, there were still plenty of available seats in our section and I think she'll be excited enough about seeing Nakamura and any of the women(Charlotte is the only one listed, she's hoping for Becky and Naomi as well) that the noise won't bother her too much.  Should be fun.

31 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Have Primo and Epico ever won the titles in any of their several incarnations over the years?

2012 at a house show from Kofi & Evan Bourne, then lost them a few months later to Kofi & R-Truth on Raw

11 minutes ago, gatling said:

How does crowd noise/pyro compare at house shows to Raw or Smackdown?  The wife and I bought tickets to take our daughter to the Smackdown Live house show in Indy on the 19th, but she doesn't always do well with loud noise.  I'm hoping she won't have to sit and cover her ears the whole time or anything.  We're at the opposite end from the entrance ramp, mainly in case they did any pyro for the entrances--I wasn't sure if they did or not as I've only been to televised shows or tapings.  Hopefully it's not too bad, there were still plenty of available seats in our section and I think she'll be excited enough about seeing Nakamura and any of the women(Charlotte is the only one listed, she's hoping for Becky and Naomi as well) that the noise won't bother her too much.  Should be fun.

It's very loud. Loud noises don't really bother me, but I'm not afraid of looking like a dork by covering my ears during the pyro. 

Have a great time. 

For house shows they don't do much pyro if at all.  If you're on the opposite end that won't help much as we were on the opposite side of it Sunday and it was super loud.  Maybe getting giant noise-cancelling headphones would be worthwhile for the first part of the entrance.  I wish I had them at the start of the show Sunday, that damn near gave me a headache.

12 minutes ago, Lacelle said:

Bushwhackers

They won several as the Sheepherders (including Mid-Atlantic, Continental and various NWA versions)

That's why I was trying to say beyond just the WWE but did it in a mush-mouthed way

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They won several as the Sheepherders (including Mid-Atlantic, Continental and various NWA versions)

That's why I was trying to say beyond just the WWE but did it in a mush-mouthed way

Has there ever been another team that fell so far from greatness as did the Sheepherders? I remember them coming through the NW territory and those guys were scary as hell. Simply brutal matches, their stuff with the Fantastics holds up very well. Then WWE repackages them as a comedy act. Sad. (Though I'm glad they got some big paychecks).

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Has there ever been another team that fell so far from greatness as did the Sheepherders? I remember them coming through the NW territory and those guys were scary as hell. Simply brutal matches, their stuff with the Fantastics holds up very well. Then WWE repackages them as a comedy act. Sad. (Though I'm glad they got some big paychecks).

The later incarnations of LOD in WWE? The Garvin/Hayes Freebirds with Badstreet?

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

"Hey, if you stop mutilating yourself and bleeding everywhere and start licking people instead, we'll pay you 10X more for 1/10th the effort, get you even more by merchandising, and make you known to millions around the world."

I wouldn't have signed that contract fast enough.

• Like 12

I actually don't like the Sheepherders/Fantastics series in '89, was it? 

And I love the Fantastics and think Fantastics/MX is maybe the best tag team feud, match-wise at least, that I've ever seen. 

I guess that I just don't get the Sheepherders. They don't come off as violently as people say they do to me. 

15 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

The later incarnations of LOD in WWE? The Garvin/Hayes Freebirds with Badstreet?

Vince Russo: Hey Vince, you really want to fuck with that hayseed Cornette this time?

Vince McMahon: Sure thing, pal.

Vince Russo: We'll package Sparky Plugg and Bart Gunn as the New Midnight Express!

Vince McMahon: Russo, when you're done with that, get me one of those meat wrap sandwiches I love.

Vince Russo: You mean a burrito, bro?

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Weren't the Garvin/Hayes freebirds one of the teams in that match where they lost the titles before they actually won them (Disney tapings vs ppv) 

Yep. Their title loss to the Steiners was taped 6 days before they won the belts from Doom at the ppv.

http://www.thewrestlinginsomniac.com/2016/06/the-fabulous-freebirds-unique-wcw.html

31 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I actually don't like the Sheepherders/Fantastics series in '89, was it? 

And I love the Fantastics and think Fantastics/MX is maybe the best tag team feud, match-wise at least, that I've ever seen. 

I guess that I just don't get the Sheepherders. They don't come off as violently as people say they do to me. 

You need to see the Mid South Sheepherders vs Fans matches from 85-86. Fucking awesome, and a bunch are on the NWA On Demand service.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

"Hey, if you stop mutilating yourself and bleeding everywhere and start licking people instead, we'll pay you 10X more for 1/10th the effort, get you even more by merchandising, and make you known to millions around the world."

I wouldn't have signed that contract fast enough.

I remember them mentioning in a shoot interview they were happy with the change.  At the time they were around 40 and couldn't go like the used to, plus they said their characters as The Bushwhackers were basically just their own personalities turned up a few notches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

For house shows they don't do much pyro if at all.  If you're on the opposite end that won't help much as we were on the opposite side of it Sunday and it was super loud.  Maybe getting giant noise-cancelling headphones would be worthwhile for the first part of the entrance.  I wish I had them at the start of the show Sunday, that damn near gave me a headache.

That's kind of what I was hoping, that there wouldn't be much pyro.  That's what I know would shake her up when it went off, having experienced it myself a number of times at Raw and Smackdown over the years.  I think she'll be fine with the entrance music and whatever crowd noise there, I think she'll be amped up enough that it won't bother her.  Sudden loud noise like the pyro has always been an issue and why we haven't taken her to a show before.  If this goes well, we'll look into getting tickets for the next time NXT rolls through Indy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I remember them mentioning in a shoot interview they were happy with the change.  At the time they were around 40 and couldn't go like the used to, plus they said their characters as The Bushwhackers were basically just their own personalities turned up a few notches.

Butch tells the entire story in the Bushwhackers HoF speech last year.

12 minutes ago, gatling said:

That's kind of what I was hoping, that there wouldn't be much pyro.  That's what I know would shake her up when it went off, having experienced it myself a number of times at Raw and Smackdown over the years.  I think she'll be fine with the entrance music and whatever crowd noise there, I think she'll be amped up enough that it won't bother her.  Sudden loud noise like the pyro has always been an issue and why we haven't taken her to a show before.  If this goes well, we'll look into getting tickets for the next time NXT rolls through Indy.

I just remembered going to a house show and they didn't have any pyro.  If they have any it would be the old school style that WCW used a lot so it's not the concussively loud kind.  I can't see any SD wrestlers needing pyro to begin with.  As for NXT there might be smoke and that's it, but definitely no other pyro.