DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think WWE knows what their big summer angle is yet. Either that or it's going to be Brock/Roman, and damn it pal, everyone is going to finally love Roman for overcoming odds...or something.

First, are we allowed to talk WWE here? :lol: I really want to see Brock/Braun.

1 minute ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

First, are we allowed to talk WWE here? :lol: I really want to see Brock/Braun.

Yes, we are. I've never been warned about it. 

I'd enjoy Brock/Braun as long it's not just suplex city.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, we are. I've never been warned about it. 

I'd enjoy Brock/Braun as long it's not just suplex city.

Softball city. Sid does a run-in on behalf of Brock, Braun counters with his father. Then we get a derby. 

Of course this takes place in the Tokyo Dome. Not only to ensure a 5* rating, but because it's still set up for baseball, to make it more convenient. 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2017 at 1:23 PM, Craig H said:

I thought they ran something like that in WCW...Like Regal lost a match to someone and Jeeves had to be that person's butler or Regal had to be a butler. It was something like that.

If that didn't happen, then it should have.

We may be thinking of two different things, but the way WCW explained a Sir (William) being a servant to a Lord (Steven) was that William lost a bet. 

ROH tried something similar when Silas Young won the services of The Boys from Dalton Castle. They did a couple vignettes with Silas trying to make The Boys do manly things like change a car tire. ROH has zero production value, so it wasn't as nearly good as it should have been. 

On Steve Austin's podcast, Brian Kendrick suggested that he and Tozawa were limited in what they could do in their street fight in part because the company is trying to restrict the use of steel chairs. I hadn't noticed this trend. Can anyone smarten me up about how long this has been going on and how serious they are about it? At the very least, I remember the chair playing a major part in Roman vs Taker. Reigns vs Owens at the Rumble was a chair-fest. The Jericho injury angle was a major spot with a chair. Am I misunderstanding Kendrick, or is this policy only for small fish like himself?

I took it as they wanted to save stuff for Extreme Rules coming up, he also mentioned kendo sticks during that segment.

His response to Big Johnny trying to talk to him about the fines for weed was hilarious too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

On Steve Austin's podcast, Brian Kendrick suggested that he and Tozawa were limited in what they could do in their street fight in part because the company is trying to restrict the use of steel chairs. I hadn't noticed this trend. Can anyone smarten me up about how long this has been going on and how serious they are about it?

WWE has tried to keep a handle on hardway spots ever since the concussion class action lawsuit was filed.

They tend to save chair shots and the like for injury angles and PPVs.  

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

What is 205 Live viewership like these days? Better or worse than NXT?

Word going around was that there have been weeks lately where 205 Live didn't even crack the Top 20 most watched shows, including a couple of weeks ago when an episode of Tony Schiavone's podcast centered around WCW Halloween Havoc 1998 resulted in a bump where THAT beat 205 Live.

Harley Race broke both of his legs in a fall and is now recovering from surgery

Pro wrestling legend Harley Race broke both of his legs in a fall earlier this week.

WWE.com reported today that Race fell at his home in Troy, Missouri on Tuesday. He underwent immediate surgery that night to relieve the swelling in his legs and has since received four blood transfusions and had another surgery yesterday to reset the fractures.

As a result of the fall, Race "sustained a fracture to his right femur and suffered breaks in his left fibula and tibia, as well as a spiral break of his left ankle."

Race turned 74 years old in April. He attended an NXT house show in Missouri earlier this year, with WWE posting an article about him reuniting with Tommaso Ciampa at the event. Ciampa previously trained with Race and worked for his World League Wrestling promotion.

Ciampa tweeted a message of support to Race: "My thoughts and prayers are with Harley Race and his loved ones..."

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Word going around was that there have been weeks lately where 205 Live didn't even crack the Top 20 most watched shows, including a couple of weeks ago when an episode of Tony Schiavone's podcast centered around WCW Halloween Havoc 1998 resulted in a bump where THAT beat 205 Live.

I mean that Warrior/Hogan match is so bad it has to be seen to be believed.

I haven't watched 205 Live since the second week, and based on the results when I remember to read them, it doesn't seem like I'm missing much. I think WWE is heading in the wrong direction by splitting up their talent into niche shows. They should be using the guys from 205 Live and the soon to be UK series (which I can't see doing anything but cratering almost immediately) to bolster NXT and the main rosters. I can only watch so many WWE style matches a week before I get bored, so adding more hours of tv instead of enhancing the hours they already have isn't appealing to me in the slightest.

Hopefully they e-mail me another survey soon so I can futilely express my disappointment to them.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Harley Race broke both of his legs in a fall and is now recovering from surgery

Holy shit, that sounds goddamn awful. He'll pull through, because he's Harley Race, but goddamn, best of luck. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Man, he's only 74? By the way he moves he's 10 years older. Tha5 grizzled old bear is absolutely beat up.

Read his book sometime if you haven't and you'll truly understand

Of course, that's only what he CHOSE to admit

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Drinking 24 packs of Busch and a fifth of Jack with Lemmy doesn't sound like a bad way to spend purgatory 

Sure, it's Busch and JD, but that doesn't sound bad.

• Like 1