DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

28 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It feels like this is the first time in a couple years I haven't read anything about a "big summer angle" in WWE (unless I'm too far out of the loop these days).

I don't even remember what the big summer angle would be last year. I remember Brock elbowing Orton in the head repeatedly?

Per the new WON

The WWE is really just cruising along until August, running constant PPVs with limited creativity, just focusing on multiple-person matches.

The Raw Extreme Rules PPV on 6/4 in Baltimore has Finn Balor, Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns in a five-way for a shot at Brock Lesnar on the 7/9 Great Balls of Fire show in Dallas.

As it stands right now, the winner of this match is one-and-done with Lesnar. The plan, unless it changes, is for Lesnar vs. Braun Strowman as the main event, for the title, at SummerSlam, with the idea of building that as a major match.

Strowman right now, even though they say different publicly, is expected back in mid-July after minor elbow surgery, in plenty of time for SummerSlam.

Reigns, given that he’s already beaten Balor and Rollins clean, and is pegged for Lesnar at Mania, makes no sense to win this match. Well, actually beating Balor and Rollins clean if anyone else was booking would make him the favorite with the idea they are giving him the momentum. But there is no point in diluting WrestleMania going with him now. It could be any of the other four.

So don't expect much - unless the "big" angle turns out to be the Cena/Nikki wedding

• Like 1

I've been revisiting a bunch of 1997 WWF stuff on the network lately. Having lived through the Attitude era where everything was outlandish I sorta took Steve Austin for granted, so working my way through this stuff in hindsight I'd forgotten just how much of a breath of fresh air the Stone Cold character was in comparison to every other thing on the show. No wonder he got nuclear pops. It's also weird to see him working to his WCW level while in that character rather than as the snug brawler we got post-neck injury which has ended up being my prevailing memory of him in-ring

• Like 1

I think what I hate most about Reigns' push is how obvious it all is. There's no suspense or unpredictability to it unless you count Vince getting gunshy as being unpredictable. 4 years of this shit now and we're just building right on towards another obvious WrestleMania main event with Roman vs Brock for the main title when, honestly, that match doesn't need to be for a title. What happened to wrestlers getting obsessed with avenging their losses? This is somewhat of a big deal in the MMA world, but in WWE, no one seems to care about getting that loss back.

Anyway, given how well Roman and Braun work with each other, that's the match I want more than anything else at WrestleMania. Even if Roman were to still win that match, it would do both guys a ton of service to place them in the main event. It would also be the first time in forever that WrestleMania were main evented by full time guys. We've had Roman vs Undertaker, Roman vs HHH, Roman vs Brock, Batista vs Orton vs Bryan, The Rock vs Cena, and The Rock vs Cena. Six years of part timers in main events. You have to go all the way back to the Miz vs Cena for a main event where everyone involved was a full time guy. If nothing changes this year, then it's seven years in a row with this shit.

Fuck it! I want "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!!!" vs "This is MY yard"

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It feels like this is the first time in a couple years I haven't read anything about a "big summer angle" in WWE (unless I'm too far out of the loop these days).

I don't think WWE knows what their big summer angle is yet. Either that or it's going to be Brock/Roman, and damn it pal, everyone is going to finally love Roman for overcoming odds...or something.

• Like 2

A few months back I worked my way through all of the 96 and 97 raws. Watching Austins rise for the first time was so much fun. Probably the best combination of character, promo and ring work I can think of. 

I think its so much more than the full time/part time thing. During the Cena era it felt like a tug of war between the direction the older audience wanted v. the direction kids/corporate wanted. The fans were engaged and had a perspective other than "this sucks." Thus far the Roman era has been met with indifference. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I want "I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!!!" vs "This is MY yard"

with the match held under "I'm not finished with your yard" stipulations, where the loser performs complimentary landscaping services to the winner for 30 days.

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

with the match held under "I'm not finished with your yard" stipulations, where the loser performs complimentary landscaping services to the winner for 30 days.

Wrestling needs more servitude angles. They're great.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

Wrestling needs more servitude angles. They're great.

Seinfeld butler reference in 3...2...1...

I'm Not Finished with Your Yard made me laugh though.

Has there been a "loser becomes the winner's manservant for a month" match at any point?  It definitely seems like something that would have been done in SMW/USWA and that could be pulled off nowadays with the right two guys capable of the right amount of stooging.

I thought they ran something like that in WCW...Like Regal lost a match to someone and Jeeves had to be that person's butler or Regal had to be a butler. It was something like that.

If that didn't happen, then it should have.

43 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Has there been a "loser becomes the winner's manservant for a month" match at any point?  It definitely seems like something that would have been done in SMW/USWA and that could be pulled off nowadays with the right two guys capable of the right amount of stooging.

They had it as the payoff to Brie vs. Nikki's feud. Which was then paid off with Brie turning to join Nikki, but still- WWE did 'try' the "loser becomes winner's servant for a month".

Pillman defeated Goldust. Marlena had to stay with Pillman for 30 days because of the lost. Blame the Attitude Era for that different definition of "manservant."

Oh and wouldn't a loser must landscape match be better suited for the Hardys? C'mon, we need a "RAW is Senor Benjamin" thread.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I'm going to be politically correct and say NO to that.

I'm against them as well, but that's only because WWE couldn't get it right for the longest time.  The aforementioned Brie/Nikki one was pitiful.  And non-PC ones don't work for me either.But a campy midcard feud where the loser does a menial task for a month wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  Just has to be done right.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

If the WWE writers weren't so dense, it could be fun. But I agree it's not a good WWE idea.

Yeah.  In theory, it'd be a neat way to use one of the normally quiet summer months. But I just don't trust WWE to get it remotely right for any number of reasons.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I would be willing to settle for a match where if the Ascension loses to Breezango they have to accept a makeover from the Fashion Police.

This is a tremendous idea and I'd absolutely love to see this play out.  Too bad it's not going to happen.

• Like 4