DVDVR Message Board

SDL Presents Money in the Bank 2017

RIPPA

Just just like Roman Reigns being number thirty at the Rumble to guarantee Randy Orton a huge ovation for winning, Ellsworth basically handing Carmella the MITB is the new work. 

They hyped this match as groundbreaking for the women and then the dastardly heels screwed it all up, angering the people in charge for making a farce of the women's revolution. 

The only problem is now when a heel does something shitty the heat goes to the booking committee and not the person who does something shitty.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I don't really have a problem with the execution of the finish, but I really wish they wouldn't have done it in the very first ever Womens MITB. Ellsworth just yanking Becky down and holding onto her while Carmella grabs it herself would have worked just fine and accomplished the same thing. Now when they show the finish, it'll be of a dude handing the prize to a woman.

Optics are important when WWE chooses to build and push their "Women's Revolution" in the public eye the way they often do.

The optics they'll choose will be Carmella sitting in the ring, looking at the briefcase the way Shawn looked at the title.  That's the finish they'll show.

Call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to Jinder v. Corbin.

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, JBL did say, they literally did nothing wrong.  MitB is No DQ, and aside from the bad taste of a man being the catalyst to winning a historic women's match*, Carmella successfully retrieved the briefcase first and is thus the winner. 

Story-wise, if that's not the decision they're going with, a ref should have immediately said, "No. That's not right."

---

* - I do need to point out, this was a dumb, dumb decision booking-wise.  Not for the heel aspect at all, because genderless, this is a great, funny heel moment.

That's why Carmella not cashing in and winning immediately is even stupider

Because that at least story-wise - you can then deal with Bryan and Shane (who again is most at fault for not being at his own show) have to deal with the rammifications of their fuck-up

Here they can just go "Okay - redo MITB match"

I will say that - optics aside - the best justification they have come up with so far was Carmella tweeting basically "that it was on everyone else for not reading the fine print of the contract"

Of course - as per usual - why wasn't Ellsworth immediately trying to get the briefcase? Why didn't he stop anyone else who was close? etc.. etc...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

The optics they'll choose will be Carmella sitting in the ring, looking at the briefcase the way Shawn looked at the title.  That's the finish they'll show.

That is gonna be the best part when next year they edit it to just show Carmella to hype the next match

Or heck - they just use that shot in any of the WOMEN'S REVOLUTION~! videos

4 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to Jinder v. Corbin.

You can look forward to it all ya want, but I think there is a 0% chance of that match happening :) I imagine Corbin will cash in once a face has the belt, either Orton or Nakamura.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That's why Carmella not cashing in and winning immediately is even stupider

Because that at least story-wise - you can then deal with Bryan and Shane (who again is most at fault for not being at his own show) have to deal with the rammifications of their fuck-up

Here they can just go "Okay - redo MITB match"

I will say that - optics aside - the best justification they have come up with so far was Carmella tweeting basically "that it was on everyone else for not reading the fine print of the contract"

Of course - as per usual - why wasn't Ellsworth immediately trying to get the briefcase? Why didn't he stop anyone else who was close? etc.. etc...

Well that is just a logic fail that we as wrestling fans put up with. I mean why doesn't every champion do what the Usos did? So that doesn't bother me too much, I mean really any no-DQ match should have a dozen other people helping their friends but we don't want every match to be an ECW clusterfuck.

Knowing Vince and his hard-on for folks losing in their home town - I could see Corbin cashing in and winning during the India tour

• Like 1

Has the belt or object ever fallen off the ladder? I could swear I saw it happen once. 

I hope when Carmella cashes in, Ellsworth wears the belt and acts like he is champion. The most money match they have for me is Becky Lynch vs James Ellsworth. 

Just now, Victator said:

Has the belt or object ever fallen off the ladder? I could swear I saw it happen once. 

I hope when Carmella cashes in, Ellsworth wears the belt and acts like he is champion. The most money match they have for me is Becky Lynch vs James Ellsworth. 

It definitely happened once, which I think is why they switched to clamps. But I couldn't remember when it was, I wanna say it was back in the Hardy ladder match days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

You can look forward to it all ya want, but I think there is a 0% chance of that match happening :) I imagine Corbin will cash in once a face has the belt, either Orton or Nakamura.

This here.  This is screaming for a cash-in immediately after a babyface randomly wins the title.  Hell, have Zayn win the title from Mahal and have Corbin cash in.

Corbin can also be a choice to *lose* with the briefcase, as he gets cocky about his shot and a guy like Zayn or Nakamura makes him pay for it.

1 minute ago, Victator said:

I don't think it's happened in WWE - TNA had the X fall down a number of times, including repeatedly in the first Ultimate X.  

The closest in WWE is probably when Cena was bashing Show with the briefcase and the handle broke, although it was only about one spot before the end, anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It definitely happened once, which I think is why they switched to clamps. But I couldn't remember when it was, I wanna say it was back in the Hardy ladder match days.

I thought it happened in WCW or TNA. Maybe both. 

The current support they use for the belt was introduced, I believe, as part of the World title/WWE title unification match between Orton and Cena in 2013; I think they've kept using it since because, why not?  It's easy to hang the belts from it and it's logo-branded.

This PPV was entirely underwhelming. I've never seen a PPV where nearly each match or segment started out interesting only to completely fizzle out. First ever womens MitB match and the excitement that went with that...ended flatly with Elsworth grabbing the title, tossing it to Carmella, and the refs looking more incompetent than MLB umpires. Heated New Day vs Usos match with Kofi getting his leg destroyed, a come back and near fall by Big E...ended flatly with the Usos chickening out to keep their titles. The main event was going so well despite setting up a Deus Ex Nakamura...only to have a heated confrontation between AJ and Nakamura end with cooled off Corbin getting the briefcase. Even middling to bad matches had ultra flat or confusing finishes, like the SDL Women's Championship match.

This was like the Mike Judge of WWE PPVs. Most matches had good 1st and even 2nd acts only to flatly end in the 3rd act.

• Like 1

BTW, was I the only one scared for AJ's life every time he started to climb up the cable holding the briefcase? I kept thinking he climb up it and then fall. Instead he fell from the bottom of it. The fall still looked horrible, but at least it was 1 or 2 feet shorter than what it would have been.

Someone needs to pull AJ aside and tell him to stop with this stupid shit. Why Dolph, Sami, or anyone younger than AJ couldn't have taken that bump is beyond me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

BTW, was I the only one scared for AJ's life every time he started to climb up the cable holding the briefcase? I kept thinking he climb up it and then fall. Instead he fell from the bottom of it. The fall still looked horrible, but at least it was 1 or 2 feet shorter than what it would have been.

Someone needs to pull AJ aside and tell him to stop with this stupid shit. Why Dolph, Sami, or anyone younger than AJ couldn't have taken that bump is beyond me.

I thought AJ was gonna do that insane flip bump where he kinda self power bomb's himself. He's done it in an Ultimate X match before and he did it in a match with Cena off a backdrop. I was like "AJ...You're getting real money now you dont need to do that anymore".

Also...

• Like 9

Considering his soul probably briefly left his body after impact, I dunno why it didn't grab the X-belt.

Edit: "impact" with a lower case i.  I imagine lots of wrestlers' souls have left their bodies after uppercase "Impact".  I know mine has gotten crushed and slinked away a couple times after watching TNA.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cameron Swift said:

In the first ever, historic, women's MITB match, they actually had a man climb up to get the briefcase and hand it to a woman. Absolutely one of the most tone deaf decisions they've ever made. So, so stupid.

12 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

No, you still undercut your own narrative you video packaged before the match after the intros for a weapons grade tone deaf horseshit Russo-esque booking decision that can have non-wrestling consequences to the company. 

It was shit no matter who was involved. 

11 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

We'll have to disagree on this.  Because having a man pull down the women's briefcase in the first-ever MITB for the division is incredibly tone deaf IMO.

11 hours ago, Brysynner said:

The problem is, this is the type of heat that causes fans to turn off the TV and never watch WWE programming again. David Arquette and Vince Russo winning the WCW World Title got heat too but still did major damage to the company.

Men and women are finally equal in WWE...both are booked equally shitty.  It's a revolution, folks.  We're witnessing history.

• Like 5

I can see why they booked a man to help the dastardly heel win the briefcase and wreck the "historic" first womens' MitB.   I probably would have just booked a clean finish, but the finish got people talking and elevates Carmella.  My problem is that - for me, anyway - it's wasted on Carmella.  Carmella's a mid-card comedy character who's not particularly good in the ring,  If she's really over, I've missed that too.  I don't feel like she and Ellsworth should be anywhere near the belt.

I'd have liked the finish a lot better if, say, the Miz came down to help Charlotte win the briefcase and she immediately turned heel and formed some sort of coed Four Horsemen with Miz and a couple others.

• Like 1