DVDVR Message Board

SDL Presents Money in the Bank 2017

RIPPA

I think the only option was Sami Zayn.  You could have put Orton over Jinder to end the night and St. Louis would have loved it but then you are completely cutting Jinder's legs out for an Orton reign that nobody will care about.  

AJ Styles and Nakamura don't need MITB.  But Corbin really isn't ready IMO.  I think they should have gone with Sami but that's me. 

Okay, maybe we need to back off the ledge a bit.  These results were NOT unexpected.   

- Carmella winning makes sense because a) she needs some cred, b) she has a shit-stirrer running interference for her.  Becky/Charlotte winning doesn't really make sense because she should be able to beat Naomi without a cash-in. Tamina is nowhere near ready for the title. Nattie doesn't need it in her role as veteran leader of the roster. 

- Corbin winning makes sense because a) he needs this, b) we know Vince likes him a lot, and c) he HAS improved markedly since debuting.  AJ/KO are both former world champions who do not need the briefcase to beat a relatively weak champion like Jinder. Nakamura just debuted, so not yet. And Dolph is a jobber.  Sami's the only other option and his first title win shouldn't be a cash-in but the product of him finally climbing the mountain and summiting Mount WWE.

----

If they're going to punish Carmella severely for winning the briefcase, they can:

a) force her to cash in (like Vince tried to do with ADR on Punk)

b) re-do the MitB 

c) force her to defend it in a gauntlet match at Battleground next month

C would probably be the way to go because stripping her of the briefcase makes no sense in their "Land of Opportunity" mantra.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think the only option was Sami Zayn.  You could have put Orton over Jinder to end the night and St. Louis would have loved it but then you are completely cutting Jinder's legs out for an Orton reign that nobody will care about.  

AJ Styles and Nakamura don't need MITB.  But Corbin really isn't ready IMO.  I think they should have gone with Sami but that's me. 

Corbin isn't the kind of person who is going to shine in a mitb match. He's not going to take some ridiculous 15 foot drop. When you have all these guys killing themselves out there you can't give it to the guy who just walks up and takes it. That's how you get a flat finish. And at least with Carmella,  you have a face champ and controversy. this feels like one of those situations where corbin is going to hang onto the briefcase forever until you forget he has it. 

Thought the women's MITB was disappointing overall and definitely felt short. I've liked Carmella a lot since her call up but don't really care about her association with Ellsworth so it's whatever. I wish the manager getting the case would've worked for the first time one of the other times it was attempted (Maryse for Ted Jr in 2010, Vickie for Dolph, etc) Tamina fighting off everyone in the beginning was my favorite part of the match. Loved Usos/New Day. Usos tags are almost always exciting. Lana looked better than I expected going in, glad Naomi retained. Jinder/Orton was solid but the finish was weak with the singh brothers ejected but not leaving. Main event was fun. Taking out Nakamura seemed weird, but a great series of Kinshasas when he returned. Awesome faceoff with AJ. Also love the debut of Mike & Maria Kanellis. I was a big fan of their 2016 so I'm looking forward to them joining SDL, great heel act and their theme already rules.

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

If they're going to punish Carmella severely for winning the briefcase, they can:

a) force her to cash in (like Vince tried to do with ADR on Punk)

b) re-do the MitB 

c) force her to defend it in a gauntlet match at Battleground next month

C would probably be the way to go because stripping her of the briefcase makes no sense in their "Land of Opportunity" mantra.  

If she doesn't give a week's notice, her first defense is against Asuka.

Here is the real backlash from the Women's MITB debacle.  If you are trying to sign a top indy female what do you think they say after watching that match and how the women are booked in general?  You know the travel rigors and now you see tremendously shitty booking.  

Why do you sign?

If the WWE were to approach Lucha wrestlers regarding signing with the WWE what do you think they would say?  Do you think they would want to come to the Cruiserweight Division?

They can continue to work indys and smaller feds where they do not have to deal with the titanic level of bullshit involved with being under contract to the WWE.

They are doing a great job of creating moments designed to deter people from signing.

...yet 99% of people end up signing?

I mean, I'm sure that reads like a flame, but I'm not trying to. But the majority of people with the opportunity to sign do so.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Here is the real backlash from the Women's MITB debacle.  If you are trying to sign a top indy female what do you think they say after watching that match and how the women are booked in general?  You know the travel rigors and now you see tremendously shitty booking.  

Why do you sign?

Money. Only joshi talent and maybe some luchadoras would be making comparable money, and even then WWE would end up paying more in the end if they make it to the main roster.

Or wrestlers are more understanding that wrestling is a big ol work, and win or lose what matters to the vast majority of them is that the checks clear. If you think that Becky Lynch is mad right now that Ellsworth touched the briefcase first, I think you're out of your mind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Money, the lure of finally making it to the big league, not caring about booking OR deluding themselves into believing they will be the one person out of 100 that'll be used properly.  All of those or some combination.  The same reasons top male indy talent goes to WWE.

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Money, the lure of finally making it to the big league, not caring about booking OR deluding themselves into believing they will be the one person out of 100 that'll be used properly.  All of those or some combination.  The same reasons top male indy talent goes to WWE.

Worst case scenario they get released and they can get better indy bookings. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Victator said:

Realistically the women's MITB match would be a legal quagmire and they would have to create a rule. But almost every WWE angle since 1998 would end with lawyers involved. 

01.jpg

; )

• Like 1

If you're an indy talent you get training from some awesome coaches, work on your promos and practice all kinds of cool shit that you couldn't do without doing it live.  Even if they don't make it and leave if they use the resources to the fullest that alone would be worth them going.  Toss in being paid to learn all this and it sounds like a good gig if you can get it.  So good for anybody that signs and gets all of that.  But I also applaud those like Young Bucks who prefer not being signed and are still making tons of money doing their own thing.  Regardless of their work stuff like that should be commended.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If you're an indy talent you get training from some awesome coaches, work on your promos and practice all kinds of cool shit that you couldn't do without doing it live.  Even if they don't make it and leave if they use the resources to the fullest that alone would be worth them going.  

That's a good point.  It's what Chris Hero did and his post-NXT indy run was awesome.

• Like 2

And its better than 2005/2006 where you might get a bad gimmick you can't shake like Spirit Squad. Now you'll probably get some bland gimmick or get to use your own name. Unless you are making a really nice living on the indies/Japan, why would you not try.*

*Results may vary for announcers.

No worries guys - everything is okay

Triple H went on Sky Sports and said "we aren't sure Ellsworth is a man" in defense of the result

Future is bright