DVDVR Message Board

SDL Presents Money in the Bank 2017

RIPPA

Ellsworth helping Carmella win the MITB would have been much better if this was the 2nd or 3rd women's MITB match.  The luster is gone at that point and you can do things to make it different.  At the very least they should have rethought doing that promo if the idea was to have a man actually win it

if they were serious about the important of this match to women's wrestling then on Tuesday all the women except Carmella beat the crap out of Ellsworth.  Including Natalya and Tamina.  I doubt that will happen.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Victator said:

Has the belt or object ever fallen off the ladder? I could swear I saw it happen 

There was a ladder match between Rollins and Ambrose, where they were both up there grabbing for the belt. They both fell, and the belt pretty much landed in Rollins' lap.

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Men and women are finally equal in WWE...both are booked equally shitty.  It's a revolution, folks.  We're witnessing history.

Its not even the worst female booking in WWE this month. 

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

Its not even the worst female booking in WWE this month. 

I'm not surprised.  I'm reading people complain about the tone deaf booking of the match (and yes, it was, but that's beside the point) and all I keep thinking is, "that's how all their booking is.  Why did any of you expect better?"  It's not a matter of "will they fuck this up?"  It's  a matter of in which awful, comical way they'll fuck up this time.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of putting an asterisk on the Bayley booking until I see if it leads to anything. On the Steve Austin show, Austin and Wade Keller thought the "I want to put smiles on faces" and the hug was too saccharine to not be the start of a heel turn. 

I'm with all the Women sans Carmella beating the crap out of Ellsworth and also have like Bryan announce they are going to have a redo of the Money in the Bank ladder match in a week on SmackDown with Ellsworth being barred from the building to ensure no funny business. Then give the MITB the last 30 minutes of SmackDown, let the ladies tear the house down and have Carmella win fair and square showing she doesn't need a man to win but rather take the easy road.

32 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I'm with all the Women sans Carmella beating the crap out of Ellsworth and also have like Bryan announce they are going to have a redo of the Money in the Bank ladder match in a week on SmackDown with Ellsworth being barred from the building to ensure no funny business. Then give the MITB the last 30 minutes of SmackDown, let the ladies tear the house down and have Carmella win fair and square showing she doesn't need a man to win but rather take the easy road.

But that will make her the top babyface in the division. Not to be all Cornette on this, but heels should cheat and the Carmella character is portrayed as being not especially much of an ass-kicker. The whole reason she keeps The Big Hog around is for interference. 

I get that people are viewing this from the prism of generations of sexism and mockery but these performers can still be booked with pro wrestling tropes. This comes dangerously close to "all these woman should be portrayed as virtuous heroic figures so they can be inspirations to the audience and not reinforce any potential negative stereotypes."

I mean, that sounds wonderful and all but it's not pro-wrestling storytelling. The Carmella character is supposed to be stuck-up, over-matched, and manipulating an idiot who is infatuated with her to do her bidding. 

I think people get really blurry between the company's heavy-handed real-world promoting of women and the opportunities and the fact that on their show these women are portraying a wide variety of types. It's like when people got mad about the proposed Emmalina character as being retrograde or the Iconic Duo portraying stereotypical pretty girl bitch characters. 

I mean, if you think that a heel manager coming in at the conclusion devalues the real-life work that the actress playing Carmella and the other woman actresses put in last night and these previous months then that's fine but a lot of it seems like faux outrage. 

Edited by Hagan
fleshed out my thoughts.

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

So don't have Carmella win have Becky win idk i just think the women should be given a ladder match that goes longer than 13 fucking minutes.

That is the right length. Any longer and they wear out their welcome. Wish they cut time off the men's match too. 

Just now, Victator said:

Eww don't do that.

haha, I know. I hate myself for it, but so much of these takes are "Stephanie McMahon stands up with these women at charity events and praises and then they have A MAN win this match." Separate real-life from booking.  

• Like 1

Carmella bragging about how she won the historic first women's MITB all by herself while Ellsworth smugly smiles in the background is an instant heat getter.

Yeah, she's not that good in the ring yet but neither is Alexa on RAW. At least they're not expecting Carmella to carry matches. She'll just have the briefcase and get some heat for a long time and maybe at some point she'll be used as a transitional champion.

To me, this is the same as if you had a men's one and Maryse won it for Miz. It would be great heat.

Since WWE is such a regressive company, there's like a hundred of these "first ever historic women's matches" for them to do. Using one to try and elevate someone isn't a bad thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victator said:

On the Steve Austin show, Austin and Wade Keller thought the "I want to put smiles on faces" and the hug was too saccharine to not be the start of a heel turn. 

YJjvTqoRFgZaM.webp

(FWIW: I think they could still make a lot of money off babyface Bayley).

• Like 2

The reaction to Nakamura gave me hope for the future (something I know I shouldn't have with WWE). That was like Daniel Bryan level, and the showdown with him and AJ made me feel like I was living in a dream world where WWE booked to the level of their talent and ppvs were must-see events. Then Baron Corbin woke me up to the real world where he won the men's MITB, James Ellsworth won the women's MITB, and Donald Trump was president.

• Like 12

You guys need to stop saying Ellsworth won.

He did all the work for Carmella, sure, but he didn't win.

Everybody keeps saying it though, and eventually, Vince will read it, and Ellsworth WILL win. Is that what you want?

3 minutes ago, steve said:

You guys need to stop saying Ellsworth won.

He did all the work for Carmella, sure, but he didn't win.

Everybody keeps saying it though, and eventually, Vince will read it, and Ellsworth WILL win. Is that what you want?

At least that would be honest about shitting on the division, instead of just stealth shitting on it while still talking about "making history" to all the PR outlets.

I really liked the tag. Very modern style of "pops thru near falls" but with nice story-telling, history and basic tag psychology. I enjoyed how both the Usos and New Day have been re-gimmicked, over-exposed and then revitalized and used that for good interaction and resonance with the crowd. Fashion Vice was great, SDL seems to have the right percentage of comedy in the mix. Ascension can't be the payoff.

Mojo Rawley is the Mighty Igor for this Modern Age.

Also, no one can complain the they were pushing the vets over the new talent on this show: a big plus, credit where it is due...

- RAF

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Thinking of other things - I wonder how many other people outside of the Usos Kofi would have been willing to do this move with

Chelsea Diamond did a trust fall dive to Kairi Hojo last year in their title match.

I'm not defending the booking, I still don't like it but Carmella's whole deal is that she is using Ellsworth to get whatever she wants, he's a simp basically and some folks do view her as having a great deal of power because she can get chinless to do whatever it takes.  

• Like 1

I think the only option was Sami Zayn.  You could have put Orton over Jinder to end the night and St. Louis would have loved it but then you are completely cutting Jinder's legs out for an Orton reign that nobody will care about.  

AJ Styles and Nakamura don't need MITB.  But Corbin really isn't ready IMO.  I think they should have gone with Sami but that's me.