DVDVR Message Board

UFC 212: Aldo vs. Holloway (6/3/2017) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_212_Aldo_vs._Holloway_Poster.jpg?149

UFC 212: Aldo vs. Holloway 
June 3, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Jeunesse Arena)

UFC Featherweight Championship: José Aldo © (145) vs. Max Holloway (145) (first defense) - Holloway, TKO (punches), R3 (4:13)
Cláudia Gadelha (116) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz (115) - Gadelha, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (3:03)
Vitor Belfort (185) vs. Nate Marquardt (186) - Belfort, DEC (unanimous)
Paulo Henrique Costa (186) vs. Oluwale Bamgbose (184) - Costa, TKO (punches), R2 (1:06)
Erick Silva (171) vs. Yancy Medeiros (171) - Medeiros, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (2:01)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Raphael Assunção (136) vs. Marlon Moraes (136) - Assunção, DEC (split)
Antônio Carlos Júnior (185) vs. Eric Spicely (184) - Carlos Júnior, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:49)
Johnny Eduardo (136) vs. Matthew Lopez (136) - Lopez, TKO (punches), R1 (2:57)
Iuri Alcântara (136) vs. Brian Kelleher (134) - Kelleher, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (1:48)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Viviane Pereira (113) vs. Jamie Moyle (116) - Pereira, DEC (unanimous)
Luan Chagas (171) vs. Jim Wallhead (170) - Chagas, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:48)
Marco Beltrán (126) vs. Deiveson Alcântara (126) - Alcântara, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (5:00)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Brian Kelleher
Performance of the Night: Cláudia Gadelha
Fight of the Night: José Aldo vs. Max Holloway

Attendance: 15,412
Buyrate: 200,000

Cancelled Fights:
Anderson Silva vs. Kelvin Gastelum - Gastelum Tested Positive For Marijuana Metabolites
Felipe Arantes vs. Iuri Alcântara - Arantes Withdrew From Bout
Leonardo Santos vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier - Injury to Aubin-Mercier

Now the fights are official....any thoughts on the notable fights on the card?

Holloway during his entire win streak has been able to control the pace of all his fights. Never have I felt that Holloway was pushed to the point where he was uncomfortable. That's intriguing in that Aldo does from the outset of his fights. In order for Max to win, he has to get past the handspeed and the defense. Is he willing to make this a brawl against Aldo to get Aldo off his gameplan? If so, that would make for an exciting fight.

Claudia vs. Karolina is very interesting since you have a fighter who is incredibly strong the first half of the fight and someone who gets stronger in the back half of the fight. Does this force Karolina have a faster start? The consensus on the most likely outcome is that Claudia takes a round 1 and a majority of the second round while Karolina finishes the second round strong and takes the final round. You could have some dissenting scorecards easily.

I'm really hyped for the debut of Marlon Moraes. Not just because Moraes is a pretty good fighter, but since this is the first big opponent in terms of legitimacy. Assuncao might not be the flashiest fighter, but he has had the longevity at bantamweight. I expect Moraes to thoroughly outstrike him, but I wouldn't be shocked if Assuncao gave a decent account of himself. He's a very underrated fighter.

For dark horse FOTN bouts to watch, I have to go with Eduardo vs. Lopez, Sucuri vs. Moyle, and Beltran vs. Figueiredo. I like Matthew Lopez as a prospect and Eduardo is at a level where he can show where Lopez is. Lopez had a great comeback in his last fight, and he might able to get the biggest win of his career over an tough, established veteran.

The first strawweight fight of the card is between two fighters on the smallish side, but I see that both Pereira and Moyle are gritty as hell. I also think this is a better matchup for Sucuri since Letourneau was basically a giant compared to her and that made for a super awkward fight. Moyle from what I've seen in Invicta, on TUF, and against Curran always comes to fight. IIRC That Curran fight was very bloody and a war of attrition, and she came out on top. I take that as a good sign for a fighter when he or she can win that type of fight early in their UFC career. Since both girls are facing someone who is closer to their size, they can have a much better performance and also better representation of themselves. For Sucuri, I think she is on the same level as Moyle when it comes to trying to get more experience. The women's scene in Brazil is notoriously easy to build a gaudy record. It's whether you favor quantity vs. quality when it comes to picking a winner. Moyle has less fights, but she has fought the better opponents in a shorter amount of time. The pressure is on Sucuri because I feel that Moyle will continue to improve from fight to fight. Sucuri not looking impressive here could make it 105 or bust for her.  Maybe she can be a Danielle Taylor and parlay some fights she shouldn't have won into her first good performance down the line, but that's not a good outlook when 115 is so damn tough. Sucuri has to prove she belongs at strawweight sooner rather than later.

Beltran vs. Figueiredo (alongside Silva vs. Medeiros on the main card and Borrachinha vs. Bamgbose) should be entertaining while however it goes. Figueiredo always has crazy finishes, and Beltran has improved since TUF. Both Beltran and his teammate Yair Rodriguez had their first losses since coming to the states to train. I wonder how that affects his mindset because Figueiredo is coming out to end the fight. It's much easier to get caught cold when you're facing someone like that. I think he needs to have a good showing against Figueiredo to show his spot in the UFC is warranted.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now the fights are official....any thoughts on the notable fights on the card?

Holloway during his entire win streak has been able to control the pace of all his fights. Never have I felt that Holloway was pushed to the point where he was uncomfortable. That's intriguing in that Aldo does from the outset of his fights. In order for Max to win, he has to get past the handspeed and the defense. Is he willing to make this a brawl against Aldo to get Aldo off his gameplan? If so, that would make for an exciting fight.

Claudia vs. Karolina is very interesting since you have a fighter who is incredibly strong the first half of the fight and someone who gets stronger in the back half of the fight. Does this force Karolina have a faster start? The consensus on the most likely outcome is that Claudia takes a round 1 and a majority of the second round while Karolina finishes the second round strong and takes the final round. You could have some dissenting scorecards easily.

I'm really hyped for the debut of Marlon Moraes. Not just because Moraes is a pretty good fighter, but since this is the first big opponent in terms of legitimacy. Assuncao might not be the flashiest fighter, but he has had the longevity at bantamweight. I expect Moraes to thoroughly outstrike him, but I wouldn't be shocked if Assuncao gave a decent account of himself. He's a very underrated fighter.

Holloway has been on a god damn tear. I'm not sure what the betting odds are, but i think they should be awfully close. Aldo is on a whole nother level most of the time, and i think he takes this one, but Max definitely has the tools to get the win.

Claudia-Karolina i'm really excited to see. Karolina has only been in the ufc for a year and a half, but she has definitely become one of my favorite female fighters. Thinking along the same lines, in that she wins by taking the back half of the fight. Should be a barnburner.

And Moraes is what i am the most pumped for. He was the biggest shining spot in WSOF for me. Assuncao is no pushover, and i think this will be a solid matchup. Will Moraes' striking skills carry over to the UFC? i certainly hope so, i can't wait to find out tomorrow.

Silva-Medeiros should be a fun opener to the PPV portion. Neither guy really has lived up to the promise of their potential, but they are both solid and entertaining fighters. 

• Like 1

Damn, what a fight from Max Holloway. I knew he was going to be uncomfortable situation at some point, but he made it out fine. One of the advantages he had was he didn't have to worry about the leg kicks because Aldo didn't throw any. Once Max got closer in the second round and got loose, he took over the fight. He lured Aldo into a back-and-forth boxing match in the center of the cage. He also got away from Aldo's big hooks, jabs, and uppercuts that were plenty in the first round. Holloway just has natural fight IQ. He made the adjustments necessary and capitalized on the fact that Aldo was standing in front of him and always circling out with his head still in punching range. That made Aldo honest and made him stop moving as much while Holloway was in position. Aldo was still landing offense, but by the third round, it was after Holloway landing his big shots. Then, boom. Holloway lands a big straight right disguised by a setup combo for a knockdown, and the fight was academic from there.

• Like 1

Aldo remains in the Featherweight division or moves up to Lightweight? Lightweight division is loaded. Aldo wouldn't have to cut to 145. Aldo's immediate title shot against one Conor McGregor MIA ; ).

• Like 1