DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

The trailer is now on the YouTubes for easy embedding.

• With Captain Marvel coming out in May and this coming out in April, Disney will make a trillion dollars in box office revenue before the end of August.  They learned something from the Black Panther / Infinity Wars business model.
  • April release date should disqualify it for next year's Summer Blockbuster pool.  So much for an easy #1 BO pick.
  • Ronin's debut looks pretty badass.
  • Way to spoil the Ant Man & The Wasp post credit scene cliffhanger, guys...  Does no one think of prior content when making these trailers?

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

• With Captain Marvel coming out in May and this coming out in April, Disney will make a trillion dollars in box office revenue before the end of August.  They learned something from the Black Panther / Infinity Wars business model.

Black Panther was still in cinemas when Infinity War came out*, and probably did a fair bit of late business from people who'd skipped it and went straight to IW, and then didn't understand who Shuri & Okoye were, or why Bucky was a goat farmer. So most likely they are hoping that anyone who skips Captain Marvel and goes straight to Endgame then wonders what they missed and goes to watch the earlier release. And then goes to see Endgame again afterwards ;).

* I don't pay much attention to box office numbers. But I read somewhere that Black Panther actually made more money in America than Infinity War did. Which seemed odd, because I can't imagine seeing BP and not wanting to see IW. But then I remembered a lot of people who loved Black Panther went to see it a lot more than once or twice, and brought more people with them.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'm no expert on spy stuff, but are fingerless gloves really the best choice? 

I guess it would only matter if his prints were on file somewhere, and he was arrested and got his prints tested. Not to mention they look ridiculous.

• Like 1

If that trailer had given away plot points and let me know what was going to happen in the movie, I would have wished I hadn't watched it. So many trailers give away the entire story nowadays, it's good to see one that doesn't.

• Like 4

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to Marvel Phase IV Discussion Thread

Since it looks like "Endgame" is the (ironically named) start to Phase IV,  I've renamed the thread.   Carry on.    Natural, I believe you were about to post your 48th meme of the day? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I thought this was still the end of Phase III, and Far From Home was the start of Phase IV.

It is. Endgame is the closing chapter for Phases 1-3, and Far From Home is the start of Phase 4.

He said that during promotion for GotG Vol. 2 ("I don't know if it's Phase 4, it might be a new thing"). Then when he was out there doing interviews for Ragnarok, he didn't specifically state there wouldn't be a Phase 4 - just that everything after Endgame would be very different than what came before. We've been through five MCU movies since all that was first said, so things might have changed.

I've been thinking about it, and the more I do, the less I see them going forward with Avengers team-ups that we're used to. Pretty soon, they'll have all the pieces needed for the Illuminati, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they go that route after Endgame and what happened to everyone in Infinity War. The comics reason they used for the need of the Illuminati was how ill prepared they were after the Kree/Skrull war and nobody shared information. That could be applied to the MCU, and how nobody shared information with the others about the Infinity Stones, knowledge of Thanos, etc and the Civil War event splitting everyone up so the odds were against them in the first place.