DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:25 AM, Casey said:

Speaking of Donald Glover, there’s a rumor going around that he’s in talks with Coogler to join Black Panther 2 (along with a returning Michael B Jordan).

?

I thought the running conventional wisdom was that he'd eventually play The Prowler in one of the movies in the Spider Man - Homecoming series since he puts in a cameo as Aaron Davis in the first film?

I can believe that Glover would somehow show up as the villain in BP2, though.  it's not like Klaue is coming back from that bullet in his brain and Coogler probably wants to keep the money making Pro Futurist Africa thing going on in the sequel.

I could see Glover playing Moses Magnum, N'Gamo, or Kiber the Cruel.  I still prefer the fan casting of Vanessa Morgan (Riverdale) or Nafessa Williams (Black Panther) as Nekra for the BP2 villain slot.

I usually fan cast Hannah John-Kamen as Nekra, but she'll be Lady Beetle... er...  The Ghost in Ant Man & The Wasp.

I'll make the bold prediction that the main "villain" of a Black Panther sequel won't be from the comics, so they're not trying to shoehorn something into the story they actually want to tell. Or it'll be like Zemo -- in name only.

Regarding Namor, here's what Feige said last month:

IGN: With the Disney/Fox deal, if that pans out, with the Sony rights sharing deal with Spidey, the one big loose end, then, is Namor and Universal. Can you tell us what the status of that is? Is there any chance for him to just pop up in an MCU film? It just sounds like an incredibly complicated situation, for one character.

Kevin Feige: It is. I think there’s a way to probably figure it out but it does have — it’s not as a clean or clear as the majority of the other characters.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/23/marvel-studios-boss-addresses-namors-complicated-rights-status

23 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I feel like there have been a couple of really minor roles that have had the same actor, but I don't think ever in a substantial role.

Of course, it's possible The Prowler could be a villain for Black Panther 2, isn't it? I mean, I know he's a Spider-Man character, but as long as Sony is cooperating... They did kinda burn through a significant amount of Panther's villains list in the first film.

Prowler being the BP2 villain would be weird and major escalation of the character that showed up in Homecoming. As far as villains go didn't they only go through Klaw, M'Baku, and Killmonger? They are the most known, but there should be plenty of others they can adapt, right?

There's others, but they really did take out the entire top line in one movie.

Also, of course, there's a difference between being a villain and being The Villain in BP2

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Prowler being the BP2 villain would be weird and major escalation of the character that showed up in Homecoming. As far as villains go didn't they only go through Klaw, M'Baku, and Killmonger? They are the most known, but there should be plenty of others they can adapt, right?

What if none of them fit the story the creators want to tell? I guess I have no evidence of this, but I feel like the people behind the Black Panther movie are more "story over branding" than the rest of the MCU caretakers. I can imagine them saying, "Okay, we want to say THIS in the next one," and if no existing characters easily fit into that narrative, them just making up new ones. Someone in Hollywood must still be creative, right? :)

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

There's a lot to draw from in the Coates stuff from the last few years.

He hasn't created many new ones, but I like the two big ones and how he used other characters. Honestly, I kind of want to Achebe from Priest's run used. Its been a while, but I recall liking him a decent bit when I was reading the run several years ago. It also reminds me about my disappointment in them using White Wolf for Bucky. It would have been nice to see Hunter used.

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

He hasn't created many new ones, but I like the two big ones and how he used other characters. Honestly, I kind of want to Achebe from Priest's run used. Its been a while, but I recall liking him a decent bit when I was reading the run several years ago. It also reminds me about my disappointment in them using White Wolf for Bucky. It would have been nice to see Hunter used.

They're doing some stuff with Malice in August too:

AVENWAKANDA2018001-Del-Rey.jpg?q=35&w=86

• Like 1

i would love the Disney/Fox deal to go through and the Namor situation cleared up with Universal, just so we could potentially get a movie based on Brubaker's "the Marvels Project". i know this will never happen, but i loved that series so much and i would freaking love a WWII piece with the origins of the Marvel Universe  getting some play. the Jim Hammond Human Torch is criminally underused, and that applies to all media.

Had a thought the other day about who to cast as Kraven now that Bruce Campbell is too old.

I couldn't think of anyone other than Liev Schreiber.

I'd also rather have Kraven vs Spider-Man instead of Kraven vs BP.

I mean, what the hell is Justin Hammer up to? He's still alive, right? Unless he was dusted and even if he was he'll be back. Wouldn't someone like him be foaming at the mouth to get his hands on some sweet, sweet, sweet Wakandan weaponry? And maybe...just maybe...Disney finishes this Fox buyout and we can get Hammer trying to get his hands on some vibranium to sell it to someone.

Someone like Doctor Doom.

Either that or since BP has the huge audience, maybe that becomes Avengers 4.5 (like how Civil War was basically Avengers 2.5) and you get Captain Marvel teaming up with T'Challa to fight some Skrulls.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I mean, what the hell is Justin Hammer up to? He's still alive, right?

Hammer is alive and well, living with his boyfriend in Seagate Prison.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe they should look outside the BP ROGUES GALLERY for the next movie.

Tchalla vs Kraven, perhaps? 

I feel like Coogler said he asked about Kraven for this one early on and was told no.

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe they should look outside the BP ROGUES GALLERY for the next movie.

Tchalla vs Kraven, perhaps? 

I would love that. I recall a somewhat de-powered T'hCalla vs. Kraven being fun during Liss's run.

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Yet another reason they were dumb to kill off Klaue. 

I was actually ok with Killmonger dying, but Klaue really was a stupid one to let happen.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I mean, what the hell is Justin Hammer up to? He's still alive, right? Unless he was dusted and even if he was he'll be back. Wouldn't someone like him be foaming at the mouth to get his hands on some sweet, sweet, sweet Wakandan weaponry?

Coatees's current run actually used the son of Stane and granddaughter of Hammer as a part of a plot against Wakanda where the resources would have been their reward. They can't do Hammer's granddaughter, but I see no reason they can't use Zeke Stane.

30 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I feel like Coogler said he asked about Kraven for this one early on and was told no.

He did so that likely isn't ever happening unless Sony sells to Spider-man rights back to Marvel.

On 5/24/2018 at 3:26 PM, Brian Fowler said:

They did kinda burn through a significant amount of Panther's villains list in the first film.

M'FAI!

*woof, woof*

M'FAI!

*woof, woof*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I'd rather have Ultron in Guardians or some none Guardians cosmic story. Really I just want Annihilation Conquest.

Give this man a job at Marvel Studios stat.

(Cosmic Marvel from Annihilation through The Thanos Imperative is probably my favorite Marvel anything ever)

• Like 3

On 5/25/2018 at 8:29 PM, Eivion said:

Honestly, I kind of want to Achebe from Priest's run used. Its been a while, but I recall liking him a decent bit when I was reading the run several years ago. 

Hang on, let me find that "Boo this man" gif.

Achebe would be fine as a serious, politically-motivated villain, but that invites yet another Iron Man comparison.  I kinda don't want to see Achebe if he's the nutball that talks to a hand puppet (which is what Priest devolved him into after his initial storyline).

I'd dig Hunter/White Wolf (I think they were the same person.  Doin't remember now) quite a bit.

• Like 1