DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

9 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

The picture's not loading for me.

Also, I was going to make a snide comment like "Lead Spider-Men? Have there been supporting Spider-Men?" and then I remembered oh yeah, Spider-verse.

Photo's made up of Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Tom Holland and Miles Morales.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:16 PM, TheVileOne said:

IMO, the first half of the movie is very rough. A lot of forced and awkward comedy that doesn't really land IMO. Once they dispense the facade it really gets going. 

I liked Gyllenhaal's take on Mysterio. It works as a modern take on the character. Once you see it, you will understand why. 

Agree with both points. 

I thought the first half was getting bogged down with the romance stuff. 

Mysterio was great. If we couldnt get his regular origin, this one works although this movie again has aa.e problem as the last one.

is this movie about Peter or Tony?

Loved the cliffhanger. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Agree with both points. 

I thought the first half was getting bogged down with the romance stuff. 

Mysterio was great. If we couldnt get his regular origin, this one works although this movie again has aa.e problem as the last one.

is this movie about Peter or Tony?

Loved the cliffhanger. 

The MCU basically revolved around Tony for 11 years, so it's hard to let go I suppose. Would've been nice if some of those ungrateful graffiti artists respected Cap a little bit too. 

I struggle to accept how Tony Stark has basically become the new Uncle Ben for Peter Parker in these films. Look, I get not wanting to rehash what comes before, but I think you can still work in Uncle Ben without doing that. 

Without going back to look it up, have we seen Marisa Tomei’s Uncle Ben? 

If not, who would they stunt cast as Ben in flashback form? joe Pesci? Ralph Macchio? (For the double metatextual gag)

We don't know how long ago he died. But presumably he'd be about the same age as Marisa Tomei, minus a few years because he stopped aging the day he died. So, mid to late 40s.... The Rock!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Log said:

“You know all that power you got now? That’s a lot of fuckin’ responsibility, ya little prick!”

"May, dont worry about Peter. He's just a Ute."

"Excuse me?"

"A Ute. I mean,  a youth."

• Haha 1

It's rare that these movies and shows change a character more or less wholesale, plug them into the same set of functional relationships, and then still have the whole deal work.  See: Elektra on Daredevil, Spaz Luthor in BvS.  But Zendaya as this incredibly awkward and dorky MJ is just the best.  The rest of the film was pretty good, but I was basically just waiting through all the action for her and Holland to be on screen together again so they can be adorable.

I liked the little bit of 4th-wall breaking in the whole notion of who Mysterio is, since he's literally walking around in matchmove gear on a few occasions.  It tweaked me just a little about how the whole thing, of course, is an illusion, but not in one of the typical "disbelief is no longer suspended" sorts of ways that takes you out of the film.

Otherwise, yeah, this wasn't quite as good as Homecoming, and yeah, shut up about Tony already please, but still rather enjoyable.

Liked it a bunch. Especially the supporting actors getting stuff to do. I liked the various swerves in the movie, and the one in the post-credit scenes popped me the most.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the movie a good deal though I'm not sure I like it as much as Homecoming. Vulture was a better villain though I did enjoy this version of Mysterio. The mid credits scene was interesting though I'm not sure how I feel about it. Loved the post credits scene.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, RolandTHTG said:

Yeah, solid and enjoyable film if not unremarkable.

Credits scene most worth staying for.

Also

Hide contents

curious to see if multi verse is now a thing or not

Regarding the spoiler. I don't think so. I think they'll address

The time travel in Endgame before doing a multiverse thing

On 7/6/2019 at 6:43 AM, odessasteps said:

I did not realize how many Easter Eggs are in the movie. 

The best one I just heard about:

Hide contents

a wrestling poster hyping Crusher Hogan vs Bonesaw McGraw

Spoiler

This was in the back room of the place where Spidey and May were doing the FEAST charity bit. (where Happy is trying to get Peter to answer the phone)

Loved the movie. Thought it was as good as Homecoming. I felt like where Homecoming had that pure John Hughes comedy flavor, this one felt more inspired by Hughes romantic comedies.

As for Easter eggs, don't forget about the initials on Peter's suitcase and when he's looking at suit designs there's the suit from the PS4 game. Not really spoilers or anything, but stuff to look for.

Zendaya and Holland are way too adorable in this. The angst early on was really well done.

I also think this has two of my favorite post credits scenes. Both were very "holy shit" worthy. I was grinning like an idiot for the second one. 

As an epilogue for this whole long storyline, it was excellent and leads the way for a new beginning as well.

I really don’t think the second one is going to lead to any major/long term MCU plans. For me, it seems like it was played for laughs instead of being a serious reveal of what their plans are going forward.

If anything, the first movie of Phase 4 will give a clue into what’s coming next. Likely a credits scene, since it’ll be the Black Widow movie.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I really don’t think the second one is going to lead to any major/long term MCU plans. For me, it seems like it was played for laughs instead of being a serious reveal of what their plans are going forward.

If anything, the first movie of Phase 4 will give a clue into what’s coming next. Likely a credits scene, since it’ll be the Black Widow movie.

Spoiler

At the same time, it could be Nick Fury on the Peak so it could mean more than you think.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, RolandTHTG said:

Yeah, solid and enjoyable film if not unremarkable.

Credits scene most worth staying for.

Also

Hide contents

curious to see if multi verse is now a thing or not

The Ancient One outright called it a multiverse in Doctor Strange.

• Like 1