DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I'll take a jab at a couple of these. Hope you don't mind, mate.

I don't mind, mate.

Unfavourable comparison with a near perfect example of the genre isn't really a criticism, is it?

Avengers Assemble is one of the best in the genre. I sometimes do comparisons putting one thing to another. I think if I looked at Avengers: Age of Ultron on it's own rights, as a standalone before the MCU brought connected universes, I'd still have issues. What doesn't help the film is the expectations I and others had. If you look at MCU Movies countdowns, you'll see this more at the bottom bracket.

Is Civil War a fair comparison? A lot of characters operated at the margins there, but it benefited from a razor-focused Cap story. Is that the same as balancing a cast in an Avengers movie? Do I give them credit for bringing Spidey, Clint, and Ant-Man in for a hot minute to make this appear to be a more star-studded affair than it really was?

I give Captain America: Civil War more credit as there were concerns the third film in Captain America's solo trilogy may lose Cap with all what was going on. I had them and the other was the Civil War title even though MCU differentiates to the comics of the same name. One of the Russo's biggest strengths is making characters better than in their solos. Captain America, Black Widow, Spider-Man and Iron Man as examples. I meant to bring that point up earlier than now.

Speaking of the difficulty of balancing a big cast, there's a lot of major characters that get short shrift in Infinity War. Cap, Natasha, Banner, anyone in Wakanda, etc. Great movie, but dismissing AoU for its failures to balance its cast and time while putting this on the pedestal? It's not as easy a case as you're eager to make.

Fair point. I did want more of Cap as he's my favourite in the MCU. Give me the little time Natasha/Bruce had here to Avengers: Age of Ultron though.

Once again, is unfavourable criticism with one of the greats a genuine reason to consign AoU to the trash heap?

Like I said earlier, I sometimes compare things but even the good tier films I'd rate over A: AoU. My rankings as follows:

1. Avengers Assemble (2012)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

3. Captain America: Civil War (2016)

4. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

5. Iron Man (2008)

6. Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

7. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

8. Black Panther (2018)

9. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

10. Doctor Strange (2016)

11. Thor (2011)

12. Ant-Man (2015)

13. Captain Marvel (2019)

14. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

15. Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

#1-6 I'd say are great films of the genre.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Quotes aren't working right for the rest, @West Newbury Bad Boy.

We'll agree to disagree on Bruce/Natasha.

Okay if you don't have a say on characters appearances.

In reply to you asking if my distain for GOTG is from the humour? Humour with drama is the Marvel Studios format. Now balancing that is tricky. Russos have the right handle on it. I have an issue with jokes going on too long like "Language" in AoU, the dance off in GOTG 1 and Taserface in GOTG 2 so yes, that's part of my distaste for the series and cosmic MCU. I have very little interest in space/sci-fi type things. Would Thor: Ragnarok count as comic MCU?

No worries about the multi-quotes. I fired up my old ass PC to better reply to you but the quotes function was fucking me over.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally got to see Captain Marvel and I think I might actually be a high voter for it, which surprised me. Only complaint I had was how fast I knew the Kree were the baddies, and how suddenly Carol was okay with killing everyone on her old team and how all of them didn’t question trying to kill her. The total and complete heel turn was a a bit too sudden. Also it does take the movie a bit too long to get going, as it doesn’t feel like it’s in gear till they get to Earth.

But I actually enjoyed Carol as a character and her chemistry with Fury. And I really loved the Skulls as being sympathetic and just doing what they had too to survive. And, well, the music was making me grin most of the movie like the person who still listens to 90s rock regularly.

• Like 1

Yeah, it became increasingly obvious as the movie went on that they were saving that No Doubt song for something. And then when it was used, the timing was perfect.

Although given the timescale of when Carol first left Earth, and the fact that she was wearing a GnR shirt to sing Karaoke, it should have been soundtracked by late 80s metal. Maybe the sequel, or if she ever meets Starlord.

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, it became increasingly obvious as the movie went on that they were saving that No Doubt song for something. And then when it was used, the timing was perfect.

Although given the timescale of when Carol first left Earth, and the fact that she was wearing a GnR shirt to sing Karaoke, it should have been soundtracked by late 80s metal. Maybe the sequel, or if she ever meets Starlord.

I was trying to figure out what other 90s Grrrl Power music they also could have put in the soundtrack? Does Shirley Manson count? Presumably L7 is not PG friendly. 

Edited by odessasteps

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I have very little interest in space/sci-fi type things. Would Thor: Ragnarok count as comic MCU?

Thanks for the reply, Natural. Always interested in your say.

I don't know where the line is, but everything except the Doctor Strange and Odin scenes are in space. So I'd lean toward calling it cosmic.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was trying to figure out what other 90s Grrrl Power music they also could have put in the soundtrack? Does Shirley Manson count? Presumably L7 is not PG friendly. 

Only Happy When It Rains was in the movie. So Shirley Manson counts, yeah. L7's big hit was Pretend We're Dead which probably wouldn't have a context in Captain Marvel. I think there was a Hole song at one point, but they didn't go deep into any Riot Grrl stuff like Bikini Kill or Huggy Bear or anything.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Interesting similarities with @Niners Fan in CT in our top and bottom MCU movies. The main difference is the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

I love the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie because it dared to take risks and the world building was crucial to the future of the MCU.   I thought all the actors had great chemistry and I thought in most cases the zaniness and one liners paid off. It wasn't ever a jarring tonal shift like I've seen in other MCU movies that are towards my bottom tier. Also, the soundtrack is amazing. 

Now,  I do have a couple minor gripes.  I hated the ending with the dance routine.  It fit for the type of movie it was but I needed something more out of that and I also think they went too far in nerfing Drax and Gamora.   They haven't gotten their proper due for how beastly they can be. 

Overall though I love a lot about Guardians of the Galaxy and it kind of reminded me of why I love the Star Wars franchise.   The sequel is more of the same,  I don't think it's as good but it has a better ending and there were some interesting character arcs. 

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) dance routine annoyed me as did the death teases of each Guardian, that wasn't going to happen. Above all else, I HATED, HATED, the opening (and near the end when it's referenced again) because I'd lost my Mum less than two months prior. Me and Dad were very upset, more so me. My best friend forgot to warn me and he felt bad for not letting me know.

• Sad 2

We've seen a little of Iron Man's new Avengers: Endgame armour. This is the best look yet from a Hot Toys figure:

55575842_10156144700402344_6647282027450

55719208_10156144701852344_6089897222067

I love it. It's a callback to the classic look. My favourite Iron Man armours to date are the Mk VII (Avengers Assemble), the Mk III  (Iron Man) and now the LXXXV. The red and gold is balanced as it should be.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) dance routine annoyed me as did the death teases of each Guardian, that wasn't going to happen. Above all else, I HATED, HATED, the opening (and near the end when it's referenced again) because I'd lost my Mum less than two months prior. Me and Dad were very upset, more so me. My best friend forgot to warn me and he felt bad for not letting me know.

That sucks Natural. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Celebrity Skin by Hole was in it.

Yep, that was the song that played over the end credits.

Off the top of my head, here were the 80's / 90's tracks that I recall hearing in the movie:

Whatta Man - Salt-N-Pepa and En Vogue

Come As You Are - NIrvana

Celebrity Skin - Hole

Waterfalls - TLC

Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage

Just a Girl - No Doubt

Man On The Moon & Crush With Eyeliner - REM

You Gotta Be - Des'ree

Connection - Elastica

Someone said that Kiss Me Deadly by Lita Ford was also in the movie, but I don't remember hearing it.

Edited by J.T.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, odessasteps said:

El Dragon beat me to Veruca Salt, but I'd put Seether on that soundtrack rather than Volcano Girls.

And fuck yeah, Shirley Manson most definitely counts.

Other tracks for the 90's Grrl Power Captain Marvel soundtrack:

Cannonball - The Breeders (Could be a bit subversive, but look at the songs that Disney has licensed for some of the Marvel trailers...)

Sleep To Dream or Shadowboxer - Fiona Apple

50 Foot Queenie - PJ Harvey

Cornflake Girl - Tori Amos  (I'd prefer to use God, but not sure how well that would go over with the Mouse.)

Ironic - Alannis Morissette (I'd prefer to use You Oughta Know, but it is not Disney safe)

Polyester Bride - Liz Phair (I'd prefer to use Supernova, but it's is not Disney safe)

Citysong - Luscious Jackson (Everyone's familiar with Naked Eye and Under My Skin and Citysong fucking rules.)

Edited by J.T.