DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Shang-Chi will be directed by Destin Daniel Cretton (Short Term 12, The Glass Castle) and the script is being written by Dave Callaham (Wonder Woman 1984).

I'm still bummed that this movie never got off the ground when Yuen Woo-Ping wanted to direct it and do the fight choreography.  Better late than never, I suppose.

I'm guessing they will probably ditch Jim Starlin's origin since Fu Manchu is a legit literary character and (more importantly) is the poster child for Yellow Peril.  I'm thinking that they will also not have Shang-Chi end up a Triad boss at the end of all of this.

Since this will be the MCU Crazy Rich Asians, Marvel probably doesn't want to fuck this up with insensitive casting, so I'm assuming they will go with a Chinese or Chinese-American lead.  Iko Uwais's facial features are eerily similar to comic book Shang-Chi, but dude is Indonesian. 

I'd find parts for him, Marc Dacascos, and Dustin Nguyen in the movie anyway since every fight needs to be balls to the walls and those guys can act as well as brawl like demons.

I'd have to put Wu Jing or Donnie Yen on my short list for the lead, but they'll obviously go with someone whose English is pretty good who is either an established martial artist or can be trained up.  I'm looking at you, Daniel Wu.  You should be freed up now that Into The Badlands has been cancelled.

Edited by J.T.

Welp, I'm going to cry way too much when I see this movie. I see you, Marvel. I know your plan. You want me to cry so much I miss most of the movie so I'll have to go back a 2nd time!

These VOs on all the Endgame trailers have been top notch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I bet that's the scene where we get the infamous speech to Thanos.

This one? "As long as one man stands against you, you'll never be able to claim victory."

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Interesting that there was no Rocket, Bruce, Thor, or Carol in that Quantum Suit group walk.  

I'm at work so I can't check, but wasn't Rocket in the group walk in the first trailer?

Anyone else think they're going to make Kate Bishop be Hawkeye's daughter? Or is that scene from the trailer right before his family gets dusted? If the movie involves "time travel", I could see Kate surviving the snap or something and she's taken up the mantle of Hawkeye (along with Cassie Lang being a future hero as well - maybe). They could go the route with Kate of her mom's maiden name being Bishop and she goes by that because REASONS.

Captain Marvel/Endgame spoilers?

Spoiler

I saw speculation elsewhere that Carol takes the name "Captain Marvel" at the end of Endgame because of Cap's death, and to honor Mar-Vell. That makes so much fucking sense it's unreal.

Edited by Casey

True, it's not like the movie title ever gets said out loud in the slightest, so...

I have a suspicion that, even if they reverse the damage, there will be the kinds of time branches that were discussed in Dr. Strange; once things go "back to normal", there will be deviations that would open up a wide range of possible stories to tell.  I mean, a story that's *right there* waiting for them for Hawkeye & Kate would be that, yes, Kate Bishop is Hawkeye's daughter, but post-snap, the Kate that comes back isn't familiar with a family man.  She's familiar with a deadbeat dad who was too busy off pew-pewing with his famous friends to be in her life, thus why she goes by her mother's name.  Now they're stuck with each other instead of what they remember. That's all the drama and tension you need for a good film or a miniseries, then just weave in pieces of the Fraction/Aja run.

I also want to see the shield-smashing moment; they could easily swap in Carol for Silver Surfer for the attempted swipe - perhaps have that be her initial introduction to Thanos.  And why yes, Infinity Gauntlet # 4 was my gateway drug to all this bullshit.

And are you and West Newbury having some sort of avatar feud?