DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have no idea how much credibility Crazy Days & Nights may have, but they are reporting Black Widow is going to be Marvel Studios first R-rated film.

If that's true, then they need to do a Punisher movie too and keep Jon Bernthal for it. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If you already have created a cosmic/space opera quadrant of your film universe, I dont know why you need the eternals or celestials (etc) to gum it up. Especially if DC will likely have a New Gods thing out first. 

They have cosmic, but nothing quite space opera. Honestly, I would rather they give me a Rich Rider Nova movie and build to some version of Annihilation.

I have no idea how much credibility Crazy Days & Nights may have, but they are reporting Black Widow is going to be Marvel Studios first R-rated film.

I'm going to call bullshit on this though it would definitely make sense to do so with Black Widow. I just don't see Disney/Marvel Studios releasing anything that closely tied to the main part of MCU as R-rated. Stuff like that will come, bu it won't be with people already covered or under the usual studio banners.

• Like 1

I could see Black Widow being an R rated movie. They've already hit the points through all of these movies about her being a straight up assassin, and her reproductive organs being removed to make seduction and killing during missions easier for her. That's pretty dark stuff, even for a PG13 movie.

And Iger already said they would do R rated MCU movies, but to your point, that was when discussing Deadpool shortly after the Fox sale was confirmed. But I have no reason to think they wouldn't do a Black Widow movie with that rating. I could understand your point of view if they were doing an Iron Man 4 and it was going to be rated R, because it's based off Demon In A Bottle or something, but this is a new franchise for the MCU - just with an existing character that's been around as a supporting player since 2010.

12 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Chris Evans played Johnny Storm/the Human Torch then Captain Steve Rogers/Captain America. How about Jon Bernthal going from Frank Castle/the Punisher to Logan/Wolverine? I'd be down for that.

Can't see Bernthal as a good choice for Logan at all.

• Like 1

Naah, too skinny.

I think there's a possibility they might be going R rated for Black Widow, because they're planning on Captain Marvel being their Wonder Woman and inspiring all the young girls. So because BW isn't going to be their first female lead, possibly they might think it's an appropriate place to push things.

But when they say R Rated, do they mean violent and gory, or do they mean sexual and nudey?

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I suppose it would be churlish to say a potential Natasha movie has already done numerous times: Atomic blonde, La Femme Nikita, the Jennifer Lawrence movie, .. 

But did these characters have the luxury of other Marvel characters showing up in the movie to boost interest? 

Imagine a Black Widow origin story in the vein of Forrest Gump that says screw the way time and age work. Captain America’s thaw? There. Banner’s “accident”? There. The initial attack on Stark? There. Hawkeye doing dad stuff in AoU? There. Bucky being brainwashed? There. Thor’s exile to Earth? How the hell would she get to Asgard? The easiest explanation for pretty much why humans can even fight alongside super humans and everything unbelievable that happens in these movies- S.H.I.E.L.D

License to print $$$. ;) 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:38 PM, Casey said:

did Disney turn down your script for a Black Knight movie or something? What's your beef with the idea of an Eternals movie?

It sounds like Inhumans-lite. It just sounds like one of the least interesting premises they could go with right now when you have dozens of other infinitely better ideas. Now that you mention it, a Black Knight movie sounds more appealing.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It sounds like Inhumans-lite. It just sounds like one of the least interesting premises they could go with right now when you have dozens of other infinitely better ideas. Now that you mention it, a Black Knight movie sounds more appealing.

Its funny you mentioned Inhumans. I've actually wondered a bit if the reason they are doing Eternals is because Marvel tv screwed up Inhumans for them.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

Its funny you mentioned Inhumans. I've actually wondered a bit if the reason they are doing Eternals is because Marvel tv screwed up Inhumans for them.

The impression I got was that Feige never wanted to do Inhumans, but Perlmutter was so gung-ho on them replacing the X-Men, and he was still in charge.

Pretty much the moment Disney took Marvel Studios out from under Ike, Inhumans was "delayed" and removed from the schedule and slowly died out. Marvel proper was still pushing it though, so they shifted to television.

Also, fuck the Inhumans.

The impression I got was that Feige never wanted to do Inhumans, but Perlmutter was so gung-ho on them replacing the X-Men, and he was still in charge.

Pretty much the moment Disney took Marvel Studios out from under Ike, Inhumans was "delayed" and removed from the schedule and slowly died out. Marvel proper was still pushing it though, so they shifted to television.

Also, fuck the Inhumans.

I suspect the idea of Inhumans was probably not hated so much as the idea of it being forced to do it. I wouldn't be shocked if they had decent ideas for it.

Also I like the Inhumans fine. Hard to dislike them since I enjoyed pretty much everything from the cosmic side DnA worked with.

Yeah, he got PTSD from the Battle of NY.  Looks like Cap's got it from failing and not preventing the snap, which for someone that's never really "lost", can fuck with your head.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, odessasteps said:

If you already have created a cosmic/space opera quadrant of your film universe, I dont know why you need the eternals or celestials (etc) to gum it up.

I honestly believe that the GoTG is a done franchise with Gamora dead, Batistia not really feeling Drax anymore, James Gunn being persona non grata, and no other MCU director wanting to replace Gunn for a third installment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Endgame was the last we saw or heard of the current incarnation of the Guardians..

That just leaves Captain Marvel as your only space epic franchise that Marvel has (unless they go with the Stallone / Yeoh / Rhames GoTG spin off) and since MCU + Outer Space = Money, Disney will be looking to cash in with some other license.  

They are not the company that just leaves dollars on the table.

I agree that whatever they use, it probably shouldn't' be material as obscure or convoluted as The Eternals and the Celestials should always remain as background cosmic figures of mystery.  We know the Celestials exist In the MCU thanks to the Collector's History Of The Infinity Stones flashback in the first GoTG movie and they should forever be used as plot drivers.

Sitting through an Eternals movie will probably be as exciting as watching paint dry..