DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Alan Moore's turn in the hot seat, but he seemingly hates everything.

Comic book fans never fail to amaze me with their thin skins. 

I don't think Alan Moore hates everything so much as he hates everything that other people like especially if its his own work.  But that is the soul of an artist for you.

I still remember the interview he conducted before TDK where people tried to heap praise on The Killing Joke and he pretty much said that it was one of the worst things he's ever written.

Comic book fans are fucking horrible, but they are nowhere near as bad as Star Wars geeks.   Those fuckers argue about lightsaber forms as if it were an actual martial art despite the horrible science of lightsabers in general, but my rants about that shit are well documented.

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

For as much as Scorcese's feelings are categorized as "pure haterade," his piece in the NYTimes a couple weeks back was pretty measured and perfectly reasonable.

You expected a man with the pedigree of Martin Scorcese to not be able to phrase, "Everything you like is shit," so that it still sounds like a compliment?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Moore tends to be more measured on everything else he did except The Killing Joke. But he's talked about how that was the only book that is all surface he ever did since the 90's. That there is no message or deeper meaning.

People still insist it means many things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Moore tends to be more measured on everything else he did except The Killing Joke. But he's talked about how that was the only book that is all surface he ever did since the 90's. That there is no message or deeper meaning.

People still insist it means many things.

Those people are probably idiots.  

The story is about the fucking Joker who is the very epitome of meaninglessness and chaos.  I am not sure why anyone would subscribe to insisting a Joker story had deeper meaning than then one that is presented plainly.

That's an even better example of pure madness than the Joker himself.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Birth of a Nation was the first superhero movie.

Hmmm.

I kinda get what More is saying, but I don't really agree.  

I also think it's a really fucking slow news day if you had to fill space by writing an article about something crazy that Alan said three years ago.

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I still remember the interview he conducted before TDK where people tried to heap praise on The Killing Joke and he pretty much said that it was one of the worst things he's ever written.

I like the idea of The Killing Joke more than the actual story. Something about it just did not work for me when I read it earlier in the decade. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doing my shopping this week and was surprised to find Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) was out. I usually follow the release date but I've had priorities on. Watching it back today, THAT Mysterio illusion sequence is one of the best things to come from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, amazing and the mid-credits scene belongs in the top five signature scenes after a MCU film ends.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

More often than not, the third entry in a trilogy is the worst. You don't get a great trilogy across all three films as a result. Hopefully Spider-Man will use his Spider-Sense to avoid this when the third film comes out in 2021. Time for Doctor Octopus' return. If not him, Kraven the Hunter making his silver screen debut.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I bet Killing Eve would like to have their kitchen staredown in a quaint-but-swanky foreign apartment back.

Beyond that the whole thing feels pretty derivative, even by Marvel standards. Barring stellar reviews, I could see myself sitting this one out. Easily the least necessary movie in a series packed with them. 

Who's playing Taskmaster? I'm already prepared to add them to the list of actors cast as forgettable Marvel villains. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

The movie doesn't look like anything new, but it does look fun. Love Harbour being Red Guardian. The Taskmaster design looks so mediocre. I really hope we find out these were just students of his and not the man himself.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Just released, Black Widow (2020) teaser trailer!

I'm in even though I kinda hate the design for Taskmaster and I fear that the badassery of the good guys will most likely eclipse the villains.   

I will support it to give Natasha the memorial she deserves.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Ray Winstone is the biggest star not assigned a role by IMDb, so by the Jeff Daniels rule, he's probably TM.

I dunno. Some rumour sites tried stirring the pot and speculated that Rachel Weisz might be Taskmaster. Not sure about that, but coming off her Oscar nomination she would definitely fit the bill a little more closely as someone who's had some buzz recently and can lend some weight to one of their thin villain parts. I like Ray Winstone, but he's not coming off anything too buzzy or high-profile. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

On 11/18/2019 at 2:11 AM, J.T. said:

A opinion I totally disagree with given that superhero films these days, especially Marvel ones, are now crafted to an almost disturbing level so that they WILL be considered as artistically excellent and the bar is being set even higher with every production.

Which ones?   Agree if you say WATCHMEN. Which isn't a film but IS on the level of artistry I don't normally see in comic book stuff. I'd like to see Marvel explore some of those themes but I don't feel they will.