DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

On 10/23/2019 at 5:47 PM, Craig H said:

Man, the post-credits scenes in Far From Home were some of the best ones.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:32 PM, Eivion said:

Agreed. I thought both were great scenes. 

Add another voice to the choir, especially the first one. Two holy shit moments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I can't believe people are still discussing the non-story that not everyone like superhero movies.

And if they are going to discuss it, they should at least post some context so people know what the Hell they're talking about.

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Although now I'm enjoying the mental image of Joe Pesci motherfucking Tony Stark till he cries. So that's a happy thought. 

...how do you motherfuck somebody other than your mother?

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I can't believe people are still discussing the non-story that not everyone like superhero movies.

Although now I'm enjoying the mental image of Joe Pesci motherfucking Tony Stark till he cries. So that's a happy thought. 

Funny? Funny how?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

At this point in my life, being in my 40s with a wife and a young child, a decent job, and no longer being such a cynical little shit, I'd rather watch Guardians of the Galaxy than Goodfellas.  I'd rather watch a fun, positive, well made "theme park" than another cyncial "let's worship these bad people" type "piece of cinema."  "Hurrr hurrr there's a guy bleeding out in the trunk and they're all casually eating gabagooo at Tommy's mom's place isn't that awesome?"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2019 at 10:23 AM, Technico Support said:

At this point in my life, being in my 40s with a wife and a young child, a decent job, and no longer being such a cynical little shit, I'd rather watch Guardians of the Galaxy than Goodfellas.  I'd rather watch a fun, positive, well made "theme park" than another cyncial "let's worship these bad people" type "piece of cinema."  "Hurrr hurrr there's a guy bleeding out in the trunk and they're all casually eating gabagooo at Tommy's mom's place isn't that awesome?"

I gave up on Scorsese once he switched to the Irish. One good movie in The Departed which was just a remake of a better movie and he just won’t give it up. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zartan said:

I gave up on Scorsese once he switched to the Irish. One good movie in The Departed which was just a remake of a better movie and he just won’t give it up. 

I also prefer Infernal Affairs to The Departed. I'm not into Martin Scorsese, felt that way long before his stupid comments on Marvel movies.

Edited by The Natural

The grand irony here is that The Irishman is only going to play in Arthouse/ Independent cinemas because the major chains refuse to show anything without a lengthy exclusivity before it's available for home viewing. And it's four hours long, so basically, it's not a feature film. It's a TV mini-series on a streaming service.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

motherfucking JOHN WOO has joined in on the Marvel hate bandwagon as well, which is funny since he made Face/Off. Get the fuck outta here.

Let's include some context, though.  Woo also said that the reason he turned down a Marvel directing offer is because he doesn't believe his directorial gifts would lend themselves to sci-fi or superhero actioners."

There is a subtle difference between Woo and Scorsese.  Scorsese's comments are pure haterade while Woo's concern is that the popularization of Marvel films will somehow dull the appreciation of younger audiences to think of film as an art form.

A opinion I totally disagree with given that superhero films these days, especially Marvel ones, are now crafted to an almost disturbing level so that they WILL be considered as artistically excellent and the bar is being set even higher with every production.

And yes, I take John Woo's opinions with a grain of salt.  I don't give a fuck how much the largest assault rifle magazine can hold.

Eventually, you need to reload.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 8:50 PM, AxB said:

The grand irony here is that The Irishman is only going to play in Arthouse/ Independent cinemas because the major chains refuse to show anything without a lengthy exclusivity before it's available for home viewing. And it's four hours long, so basically, it's not a feature film. It's a TV mini-series on a streaming service.

Four hours?? Holy shit. 
Someone send this clip to Scorsese. 

As for Woo, good job to the WUM’s on finding another director whose opinion is at an all time low for relevance to keep this imaginary battle going. 

On 10/28/2019 at 6:51 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Alan Moore's turn in the hot seat, but he seemingly hates everything.

Comic book fans never fail to amaze me with their thin skins. 

For as much as Scorcese's feelings are categorized as "pure haterade," his piece in the NYTimes a couple weeks back was pretty measured and perfectly reasonable.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:23 AM, Technico Support said:

• Like 2