DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

My only real complaint about Far From Home is that there was nothing with Michael Keaton. It being set away from the US makes that tough to work in, but there should have been a way to do something.

When the MCU Spidey films bother to be about Spider-Man, their good. But they both are just so damn focused on Iron Man for way too much of their runtimes.

I think Holland is really good casting, I think Zendaya is solid, but, fuck do I not care whether or not Peter Parker is the next Tony Stark.

Keaton was really godamn great in the first one at least.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

When the MCU Spidey films bother to be about Spider-Man, their good. But they both are just so damn focused on Iron Man for way too much of their runtimes.

I think Holland is really good casting, I think Zendaya is solid, but, fuck do I not care whether or not Peter Parker is the next Tony Stark.

Keaton was really godamn great in the first one at least.

Michael Keaton's one of the main reasons I preferred Homecoming to Far From Home. The focus on Iron Man in the Spider-Man films is a annoyance I share with you.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, Eivion said:

I've only ever read anything with Shang Chi from recentish Marvel. Did he start out young like Pete?

He starts off pretty young-ish, but he was definitely a 70's to early 80's era comic book hero.  By the time he's incorporated into the modern 616, he's returned from retirement as a fisherman to take over Fu Manchu's street level criminal enterprises.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, Eivion said:

Donnie Yen seemed always like an odd choice when rumored to me since the Mandarin will presumably being doing little in terms of hand to hand.

I was surprised to hear that Mandarin wouldn't do much fighting since the Mandarin's big deal was that he was a gifted martial artist and had his hands and feet conditioned to the point that he could punch or kick Tony while he was in full Iron Man armor and not suffer injury to himself.

Repeated closed fist blows from the Mandarin were supposed to be able to actually damage the Iron Man armor's plating..

He'd also use the beam from the Impact Ring to augment his strikes.

Donnie Yen would've been perfect if Marvel had developed the Mandarin along the original Iron Man villain lines but MCU Iron Man is dead and Marvel is going to bundle Shang-Chi's mythology with the Mandarin since they no longer own the Fu Manchu IP, so they can write whatever story they wish to.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

The one thing that surprises me (or rather doesn't surprise me) is that Disney went with a Chinese lead.

Shang-Chi is actually bi-racial:  his mother was a Caucasian American woman selected by Fu Manchu via genetic screening. 

The main source of tension in the comics between Shang-Chi and his (Fu Manchu) sister, Fah Lo Suee, is that she hated Shang because she felt that their father respected him (a halfbreed and an adversary) more than he did her (a pureblood Chinese woman and loyal member of the Si-Fan).

I'm guessing that Disney wants to avoid the racial claptrap between the movie characters and dismiss the whole eugenics thing, so all of the main characters will be Chinese.

Edited by J.T.

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Btw, I would heartily recommend all the MOTK omnibuses. I don’t recall, though, if they have censored or not. 

I still have my copies of the 70's and mid 80's run.  I stopped collecting in the early 90's when the decision was made to make Chi resemble Bruce Lee.

I have been thinking about the upcoming Blade do-over and how I'd really like to see Varnae or Lilith be the BBEG Vampire if it turns out that the MCU does not have the IP rights to use Dracula.

I'd also like to see Baron Blood be the first villain.  Deacon Frost has already had his time.

Also I am stupid.   It just occurred to me that the writers and producers of Blade; Trinity actually did go through with using the Montessi Formula as a plot device like they said they would. 

They just converted it into the Daystar virus since Vampires in that setting were not of supernatural origin.

Edited by J.T.

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

How can you block someone from using Dracula? The character's been done by different studios for decades. 

Dracula is in the public domain IIRC but as Mark said, some depictions are not.

Also note that not all of the characters or ideas that had close Dracula comic book or novel origins were used by name in the Blade movies. 

Characters like Hannibal King and Deacon Frost made it, but Abraham and Abigail Whistler were obvious subs for Abraham and Rachel Van Helsing from the Dracula / Blade comic book lore as well as the lore from the novel.

Daystar also sat in for the Montessi Formula since Blade / New Line Cinema vampires are not supernatural creatures so science had to win the day rather than magic.

Disney has deep pockets so I assume they bought the entire Blade IP from New Line.   They're probably clear to use Dracula as the heavy, but I would imagine they will probably decide to go into a different direction to add further separation between Disney Blade and New Line Blade.

Edited by J.T.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I'd love to see them do something out of the box with Dracula, like what Cornell did with doing Space Dracula where he had a base on the dark side of the moon. 

No.  You know what happens when you start using space as a setting for monsters whose original setting was not in space.

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, really fun movies 

Jason-X-Feature.jpg

Really surprised we haven't gotten a Nightstalkers/Midnight Sons movie yet. They'd have to rehab Ghost Rider pretty hard but they can do that if they put their minds to it.

I am sorta hoping that Midnight Sons will be the Avengers / Endgame that begins with MCU Blade and Dr. Strange 2..

Some of Marvel's more iconic horror IPs like Man-Wolf and Morbius being hemmed up with Spider-Man / Sony does not help.

The release delay for the upcoming horror themed New Mutants joint do not fill me with the confidence that it will be good.

Edited by J.T.

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I liked Far From Home but how did Nick Fury not run a background check that would unearth Quentin Beck: disgruntled ex Stark employee in like 2 minutes?

FINALLY.

When they got around to the Mysterio Is Only Fucking With Us reveal, I was like "Do they not have access to Equifax or Experian at mother fucking SHIELD?  Were there budget cuts?  How does Nick Fury information Is Power Best Spy on Planet Earth not know who this guy really is?"

I guess that's supposed to be credit to Beck's team of technical co-conspirators.  I suppose they were able to somehow purge themselves from SE's employee database before embarking on a life of anonymous crime.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 1

It also wasn't Nick Fury. Talos isn't nearly as smart as Fury and isn't going to be doing background checks and shit like that. They're not even using hellicarriers anyway. Plus, even if they did run a background check, who cares? That's for 616-Quentin Beck. They're under the belief that this other Beck is from another universe.

• Like 4

Spider-Man is my favorite hero, and Tom Holland is such a perfect Peter Parker than I’m willing to overlook a lot of the issues y’all have brought up, to the point that Homecoming is my favorite MCU movie.

I say all that to say that Far From Home was just ok. Not great, better than average due to Holland, but just fine.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

It also wasn't Nick Fury. Talos isn't nearly as smart as Fury and isn't going to be doing background checks and shit like that. They're not even using hellicarriers anyway. Plus, even if they did run a background check, who cares? That's for 616-Quentin Beck. They're under the belief that this other Beck is from another universe.

See?  Far From Home was so forgettable that I totally did not remember anything about Fury actually being Talos the Skrull in disguise.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

See?  Far From Home was so forgettable that I totally did not remember anything about Fury actually being Talos the Skrull in disguise.

I thought I did remember Far From Home fairly well, but I don't remember that either.