DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

2 hours ago, D.Z said:

Movies, tv, cartoons.

Dan Buckley the President of Marvel Entertainment(comics, games etc) also now reports to Feige.

What I read was that Buckley reports to Feige for creative/publishing, and Perlmutter for the business stuff (licensing, sales, etc...). So if I am remembering that correctly, it seems like there will be a future butting of heads over the cancellation of a book championed by Feige due to low sales.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:37 PM, The Natural said:

Leaked Black Widow promo art. Black Widow's new suit and Taskmaster:

EGnY5DSW4AIkr01?format=jpg&name=900x900

EGnbJEDWoAYWRRw?format=jpg&name=small

I see they're going all in on nerd nostalgia to sell this movie.

It worked.

I'll see you assholes in the ticket line.

• Like 2

per Hollywood Reporter:

Disney is sparing no expense on programming, projecting a 2020 original content budget short of $1 billion. The Mandalorian is said to cost $15 million an episode, for instance, and a source pegs Marvel entries The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, WandaVision and Hawkeye at as much as $25 million per episode.

There's also been somewhat viable leaks recently, not just for Disney+ shows. They'rein the spoiler tags below. And the Inhumans show on ABC is now non-canon, because they're rebooting it for Ms. Marvel (but won't have their own show - just appearing in Ms. Marvel, with crossovers likely in other shows/movies).

WandaVision:

Spoiler
  • The series will feature Wanda living in a pocket dimension that she created using her powers, where she and Vision are a happy couple with a pair of young children.
  • In this reality, her brother Pietro is also alive and is one of their neighbors.
  • As the concept art showed, the show will have a "classic sitcom" feel, and the world Wanda creates will resemble a 1950s/1960s-era suburban neighborhood.
  • As we know, other random characters from the MCU will be appearing in the series, such as Jimmy Woo, Monica Rambeau and Darcy Lewis.
  • Agatha Harkness (Kathryn Hahn's character) is the main antagonist, and she is a disciple of Nightmare.
  • As stated officially before, the series will directly tie in to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The way this will happen is that Wanda's reality-meddling tore a rift in our dimension, allowing for Nightmare to gain a foothold.
  • Wiccan and Speed will appear, but as little children. Speed may be gender-flipped.

Dr. Strange & The Multiverse of Madness:

Spoiler
  • The Scarlet Witch creates the “Multiverse of Madness” after falling under the influence of Nightmare. Doctor Strange must rescue her to prevent the collapse of reality.
  • Strange assembles a team of sorcerers to help him navigate the Multiverse of Madness, consisted of Wong, Mordo, Clea and Drumm. Strange and Mordo clash on whether Wanda can be saved or must be executed. Strange and Clea develop a bond. Wong and Drumm have an unlikely friendship.
  • Benedict Cumberbatch, Elizabeth Olsen, Benedict Wong and Chiwetel Ejiofor are (obviously) returning. Rebecca Ferguson and Aldis Hodge are in talks for Clea and Drumm. Tilda Swinton will make an appearance as the Ancient One.
  • Several high-profile male and female actors are being discussed for Nightmare, including Eva Green, Emily Blunt, Claire Foy, Vanessa Kirby, Natalie Dormer, Ewan McGregor, James McAvoy, Cillian Murphy, Dan Stevens and Jared Leto.

Shang-Chi:

Spoiler
  • Shang-Chi is recruited by the MI6 to prevent his father, The Mandarin, from retrieving the legendary Ten Rings in order to conquer the world. Simu Liu and Tony Leung are playing Shang-Chi and The Mandarin.
  • Shang-Chi is aided by MI6 agents Clive Reston and Leiko Wu. Sam Claflin is in final talks to play Reston, while Jessica Henwick has recently been approached to play Wu. Pierce Brosnan is in talks for the director of the MI6, Jack Tarr.
  • The Mandarin’s enforcers include Shang-Chi’s half-siblings Cursed Lotus and Moving Shadow, deadly assassin M'Nai and mad scientist Lancaster Zhang. Awkwafina is cast as Cursed Lotus, while Joe Taslim has been approached for Moving Shadow. David Gyasy is in advanced talks for M’Nai, and BD Wong is cast as Zhu.
  • Constance Wu is in talks for Mei Ling, Shang-Chi's mother.
  • Samuel L. Jackson will appear as Nick Fury.
  • The dragon Fing Fang Foom will appear in the movie.

Ms. Marvel:

Spoiler
  • Kamala Khan is a 16 year old Muslim who gets injected with Inhuman powers after a field trip.
  • Khan needs help from The Royal Family to control her powers.
  • Six 20 year old Muslim actresses are the finalists for Khan. Himesh Patel and Mindy Kaling have been offered the roles of Aamir Khan and Muneeba Khan. Riz Ahmed was recently approached for a role. Brie Larson will have an appearance as Captain Marvel.
  • Maximus the Mad is the villain, with several actors including Aaron Taylor Johnson, Evan Peters, Charlie Heaton, Ben Barnes, Eddie Redmayne,and Bill Skarsgård being considered.
  • Vin Diesel is pushing Marvel to cast him as Black Bolt.

NOTE: I'm pretty sure the Vin Diesel as Black Bolt, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Maximus stuff has been de-bunked. Taylor-Johnson is supposed to appear in WandaVision, so.

It's all rumors though, obviously. A lot of it sounds plausible.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 3

Those rumors sound great.

Spoiler

I really like the idea of Vin Diesel getting Blackbolt. Those nightmare casting rumors are interesting. I kind of hope they have several people play him. I also kind of hope the Dan Stevens one is false just because I really want him to come back a Legion at some point.

13 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Some interesting potential casting choices for the villain in Doctor Strange 2.

Also, Jared Leto. 

Token American, innit?

I know the Shang-Chi news is mostly bullshit because Ludi Lin is the heavy favorite for the titular role and Donnie Yen is the frontrunner for the role of The Mandarin.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I know the Shang-Chi news is mostly bullshit because Ludi Lin is the heavy favorite for the titular role and Donnie Yen is the frontrunner for the role of The Mandarin.

Someone missed ComicCon this year apparently.

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Someone missed ComicCon this year apparently.

I always miss ComicCon.  I haven't really watched regular coverage since both G4 and Spike went away and the live broadcasts went with them.

I should probably turn in my geek pass at some point.

Edited by J.T.

Yeah, Feige confirmed Tony Leung as The Mandarin, and Awkwafina (in an unspecified role) - then brought out Destin Daniel Cretton, who introduced and broke the news of Simu Liu being cast as Shang-Chi.

A few days ago it was confirmed that Bill Pope will be the cinematographer, too.

Liu has DEFINITELY the better acting chops of the two, but he's 30 years old and kinda looks it.

I was under the impression they were going for a younger Shang Chi like a Tom Holland 23 year old that could pass for a late teen and Ludi Lin would've been spot on.

Oh well.  The were smart to cast someone that can carry a lead and the martial arts will come later at a six month KFS boot camp, I suppose.  I know Liu a very good gymnast and is not afraid of doing his own stunt work, so that's a start.

Elder statesman Tony Leung is a good pick for The Mandarin, but I am as stunned to hear that he took the role as I was when it was announced that Donnie Yen was the favorite. 

Any mainland Chinese or HK actor is going to catch a lot of shit for playing that role given the history behind that character.  I hope the paycheck is worth it.

Edited by J.T.

I'm also happy to see that they kept the meta from the comics of Shang-Chi having a sister and a brother and using it as the new lore for The Mandarin's origin.

I know that they couldn't use Fah Lo Suee as a character since she is legit attached to the Fu Manchu IP and I am also happy they're not introducing "Shaka Karn" as Chi's brother / ancestor even though he is a legit Marvel IP since his name is giggle inducing because:

71y7btABusL._SS500_.jpg

I think I can live with Cursed Lotus and Moving Shadow.

I hope they still incorporate the look of Karn's armor with Moving Shadow, though.

55_70602_0_MasterofKungFu49.jpg

Edited by J.T.

One of those castings in the spoiler tags pointed to Aaron Taylor Johnson playing a character when he's already Pietro and Vin Diesel has wanted to be Black Bolt for years now. Some of the spoiler tagged stuff looks plausible and others don't make any sense.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Liu has DEFINITELY the better acting chops of the two, but he's 30 years old and kinda looks it.

I was under the impression they were going for a younger Shang Chi like a Tom Holland 23 year old that could pass for a late teen and Ludi Lin would've been spot on.

Oh well.  The were smart to cast someone that can carry a lead and the martial arts will come later at a six month KFS boot camp, I suppose.  I know Liu a very good gymnast and is not afraid of doing his own stunt work, so that's a start.

Elder statesman Tony Leung is a good pick for The Mandarin, but I am as stunned to hear that he took the role as I was when it was announced that Donnie Yen was the favorite. 

Any mainland Chinese or HK actor is going to catch a lot of shit for playing that role given the history behind that character.  I hope the paycheck is worth it.

I've only ever read anything with Shang Chi from recentish Marvel. Did he start out young like Pete?

Donnie Yen seemed always like an odd choice when rumored to me since the Mandarin will presumably being doing little in terms of hand to hand.

Man, I finally watched FAR FROM HOME last night, and...I guess I just have to come to terms with the fact that I’m in the minority of people who don’t like this Spider-Man franchise.  I mean, these movies are competent, which puts them miles ahead of what Sony was doing with the Andrew Garfield films, but FFH was just insipid to me.  

I feel like Keaton (and car ride scene, in particular) brought enough gravitas to the first film to trick people into thinking Homecoming was something greater than the sum of its parts, but without him, this film was positively weightless.  Mysterio was kind of a rough draft of a good idea for a villain, but the script didn’t really flesh him out, leaving Gyllenhaal nothing to work with.

Spidey vs. A thousand drones might have topped Iron Man vs. the Volcano People as the worst climax in the MCU. 

• Like 1