DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

If it's not, this movie is pretty redundant. Why make it now? Do we really need to add backstory to someone who's dead? Unless it's introducing an important villain for the future or something, they've been telling this over-arcing story where everything builds to everything else. I'm not sure what this could help build.

I honestly think that's the key here. While everyone has been overwhelmed with Thanos' attacks on New York, the Universe, and San Francisco, not to mention dealing with all the havoc caused by Ultron and Zemo, there's been something else looming out there and I'm guessing we're introduced to that threat here.

If it's not that, then we'll see some part of this movie be a launchpad for the next era of the MCU just like the stinger at the end of Iron Man launched everything we saw over the last 10 years.

And I think that thing needs to be Victor Von motherfuckin' Doom.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 5

I feel that the period of time between the Glitch and Endgame would be a decent enough power vacuum to insert the founding of Latveria, but I am still wary about how Doom's origin fits in to the larger scheme of things. 

How does he come to rule an entire nation as a despot when the Avengers at their peak pretty much defied any jurisdiction they saw fit to?

I'm thinking that if you retcon FF to take place in the modern MCU, you almost have to tell most of that story during the Glitch where there aren't very many extremely powerful superheroes out there to stop Doom and by the time Endgame rolls around, he's already well established as Latveria's monarch and the Avengers aren't really a threat to him anymore.

It'll be up to the new FF to stop him.

Edited by J.T.

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if you tie Doom into the rise of the alt-right in Europe and he has only just come into power. Perhaps elected first and then takes control of the country. 

Sokovia would be ripe for regime change given Ultron's antics and the Glitch.  Doom could always rebrand Sokovia as the new Latveria, but that begs the question of the role of Zemo in future events.

Is Zemo just as megalomaniacal as Doom or is he just a freelance terrorist now?  

• Like 1

Doom taking over and rebuilding the ruins of Sokovia and rebranding it Latveria is what I figured would be the way to go. And, yeah, if he rose to power in the 5 years after the glitch, there's enough other things going on in the world and far fewer Heroes around for anybody to have noticed what's going on over there until Doom has done all the major work. And THEN, when everybody is brought back, those who were snapped from Sokovia - which was in ruins when they were snapped - return to a thriving, prospering new country named Latveria under this new guy, they'd absolutely be thrilled and he'd have all of their loyalties as their new leader. Makes a perfect story for his rise, IMO.

22 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And just in time for NYCC.  I am shock

I am not shock since all of those assholes have the basic understanding that making money is good and not making money is bad.  

Neither Sony nor the Mouse were going to leave money on the table.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Spider-Man 3, 16th July 2021.

I'd call it Spider-Man: Home Again. I'd like to see Kraven the Hunter as the villain or Doctor Octopus. Kraven has yet to make his big screen debut and we haven't had Doc Ock since 2004. We won't be getting the Green Goblin with the Amazing Spider-Man 2 gross misuse of them.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 7:56 PM, MonteCarl said:

Doom taking over and rebuilding the ruins of Sokovia and rebranding it Latveria is what I figured would be the way to go. And, yeah, if he rose to power in the 5 years after the glitch, there's enough other things going on in the world and far fewer Heroes around for anybody to have noticed what's going on over there until Doom has done all the major work. And THEN, when everybody is brought back, those who were snapped from Sokovia - which was in ruins when they were snapped - return to a thriving, prospering new country named Latveria under this new guy, they'd absolutely be thrilled and he'd have all of their loyalties as their new leader. Makes a perfect story for his rise, IMO.

Think recent European history... assume Sokovia is a stand in for, say, Croatia. Now assume Latveria is Yugoslavia. Or like, Czechoslovakia was two separate countries that it took one charismatic leader to unite and keep united, and when he died they broke apart again. If Victor Von Doom rises to power in the Republic of Sokovia and then persuades/ conquers a few neighbouring countries to reunite the Kingdom of Latveria, with him as monarch, that's both scary and believable, and it makes him politically very powerful.

The current rumor is that the non-Spidey movie(s) Sony And Marvel agreed on him appearing in is Secret Wars and the Fantastic Four, with Reed Richards being his new mentor.

Which is probably a trade off for Tom Holland being in Venom 2, thus making Venom MCU canon.

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Which is probably a trade off for Tom Holland being in Venom 2, thus making Venom MCU canon.

It will be more a case of acknowledging Sony's Spidey stuff as part of the multiverse than it Venom being part of the MCU proper.

Well, yeah, I didn't mean Venom would be showing up in the next Avengers movie or anything. But, take all of that with a grain of salt, because it comes from Mikey Sutton. He's gotten some things right in the past, but I'm pretty sure he's been wrong more than he's been right.