DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think you could easily come up with a comic book science reason about his magnetism slows the aging process and so he’s really X years old but looks like a 40-50 year old. 

I feel like works a lot better in comic books than in movies based on them.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The other thing is, with CGI nowadays, you could just age or de-age an actor as necessary. 

Cast a young guy for WWII flashback and up-age him in the present. 

You're still stuck with an octogenarian antagonist character, which just kinda makes your heroes look like dicks.

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Whenever they feel a movie might not be able to stand on its own they go back to the proven draw.  Like Vince with Hogan. 

It's either new scenes with Tony Stark filmed for this movie or reusing from Captain America: Civil War. I think the latter will be the last exchange between the two in that film.

Even if RDJ filmed new scenes for the movie, he's not going to be a supporting or main character. It'll be a brief cameo. But I do look forward to to the excuses of "RDJ helped this movie make x amount of dollars!" when he'll only be in it for a brief amount of time. I doubt they'll even promote that in the trailers or anything.

I'll accept @Niners Fan in CT's statement when they cast RDJ or someone in The Eternals or Shang-Chi - movies that they are probably way more worried about making a good amount of money than fucking Black Widow, who has been in the MCU for like 10 years and is a character people are attached to.

IDK, there's been quite the backlash against ScarJo the past couple of years.  It seems like they're trying their damnedest to make sure this movie doesn't tank.  Blowing up the nerd quotient with Taskmaster and Red Guardian in basically their comic costumes, getting RDJ to guest, it's all hedging their bets.

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The other thing is, with CGI nowadays, you could just age or de-age an actor as necessary. 

Cast a young guy for WWII flashback and up-age him in the present. 

Cast Denzel as old Magneto and cast John David Washington as young Magneto for flashbacks.

Edited by Technico Support

Are we really going to debate whether RDJ is a draw?  The only movie he's appeared in that didn't cross a billion was Spider-Man Homecoming and it was pretty close. Black Panther was the first non-RDJ centered movie to cross a billion in the MCU and Captain Marvel was the second but even that had a tie in to End Game.  

Granted the MCU has built up more than enough prestige as a brand where other films will probably start to do big numbers but RDJ is  proven draw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

IDK, there's been quite the backlash against ScarJo the past couple of years.  

I know she's said/done some things that are considered boneheaded lately. But I doubt there's enough widespread awareness of those incidents that they threaten the success of this thing. 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are we really going to debate whether RDJ is a draw? 

Who's saying this? 

It’s hard to think a B list hero becoming the focal point of the MCU without a star in that role. Of course, it migh5 have been helped by the meta casting of Downey as Tony Stark. Don’t know if an Iron Man franchise would have been this kind of success with Cruise or Cage or any of the other rumored casting choices over the years. 

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The post I replied to was saying that the idea RDJ would be added to a film to boost numbers is preposterous. 

If it's a barely advertised cameo or a few short scenes, it's entirely possible it wouldn't offer a huge boost, if any.

I didn't see anyone argue RDJ wasn't a draw. 

By all signs, this is a prequel to pretty much the entire series.  Stark didn't (knowingly) meat Nat until Iron Man 2, so it's unlikely to be anything but a cameo, since Stark *was* all over the media as an easy news story and arms dealer to US Military/SHIELD  so he's be pretty high on the KGB's radar.

Edited by Raziel

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The post I replied to was saying that the idea RDJ would be added to a film to boost numbers is preposterous. I don't think it is crazy to think that, they have done it before. 

I can't find a post saying anything of the sort. Casey implicitly disagreed with your assertion that they keep doing that whenever they're worried about a film's performance, which is a different thing entirely. And I'd say Casey's right - they didn't add Downey to Black Panther or Captain Marvel, which I would think would be seen as chancier than Spider-Man.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

By all signs, this is a prequel to pretty much the entire series.  Stark didn't (knowingly) meat Nat until Iron Man 2, so it's unlikely to be anything but a cameo, since Stark *was* all over the media as an easy news story and arms dealer to US Military/SHIELD  so he's be pretty high on the KGB's radar.

Uh, they confirmed at SDCC that the movie is set between Civil War and Infinity War. But we're getting the story of Hawkeye and Black Widow in Budapest supposedly, so there might be flashbacks.

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I can't find a post saying anything of the sort. Casey implicitly disagreed with your assertion that they keep doing that whenever they're worried about a film's performance, which is a different thing entirely. And I'd say Casey's right - they didn't add Downey to Black Panther or Captain Marvel, which I would think would be seen as chancier than Spider-Man.

What was the point of Stark being a central figure in Peter's life and beginnings as a super hero? If not to sell more tickets? Sure, it ties into the Avengers but they could have bonded a different way rather than strip Peter of the qualities he has and learns as a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man?

Also, see: Civil War.

So am I the only one who thinks that Black Widow actually takes place after Endgame, and is set inside the Soul Stone? Hence it will appear to be all flashbacks but it's actually about earning redemption and escaping the afterlife.

49 minutes ago, AxB said:

So am I the only one who thinks that Black Widow actually takes place after Endgame, and is set inside the Soul Stone? Hence it will appear to be all flashbacks but it's actually about earning redemption and escaping the afterlife.

I think you are.

I give Marvel a lot of credit when it comes to creativity, but I don't think they're going to be THAT creative.

52 minutes ago, AxB said:

I thought that at first and then less so with every bit of new information about the movie given to us.

If it's not, this movie is pretty redundant. Why make it now? Do we really need to add backstory to someone who's dead? Unless it's introducing an important villain for the future or something, they've been telling this over-arcing story where everything builds to everything else. I'm not sure what this could help build.