DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

Different culture and experiences come with race. Change that and you may be taking away important aspects that make a character who they are. Beyond that it almost always feels like a lazy, bs attempt to fill a quota and pandering. Personally I generally don't like being pandered to. I prefer good characters who happened to already reflect my race to be used. In the end though if the writing is good enough I get past it anyways even if I would have preferred to see a character as originally intended.

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Not sure if we're being trolled, but rumor mills are spinning tales about Marvel Studios looking for a person of color to play Magneto when the MCU absorbs the X-Men and that Denzel is the frontrunner.

At first I was like, "Wait, what?" and then I remembered that Magneto is pretty much the Malcom X of the tale, so why the fuck not have Denzel play Magneto since he should've fucking won an Oscar for portraying Malcolm X?

"We did not land on Plymouth Rock, Charles.  Plymouth Rock landed on us."

Not saying definitely they won't go this route, but this info didn't come from a reputable source. Basically a website saw blue checks talking about it on Twitter and decided to run a story on it as "insider newz."

Like people were talking about Rwanda genocide for Magneto on the SHH forums months ago.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

The rumor also says Magneto would be a survivor of the Rwandan genocide instead of a Holocaust survivor. Which would make him more age appropriate for the MCU instead of being in his 90s.

Edited by TheVileOne

9 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I know I'll regret this, but why does the "race" of the superhero/villain matter?

I mean if they make Magneto a Kree then yeah that's fucked up but...

Personally I don't care whether they cast a black actor, white actor, woman, etc. I just want a GOOD actor. 

• Like 2

The key with Magneto is that he's a survivor of a genocide, and if you look at the history of the world, there haven't been many genocides directed at white people recently. The Holocaust was 75 years ago. So you have to look to African countries or maybe the Middle East (I don't think anyone would buy Magneto as being from the former Yugoslavia, what with Edin Dzeko having grown up in occupied Sarajevo and being a generous charitable public figure now). Afghan Magneto? Palestinian Magneto? Either would work, but politically you're arguably making America (or it's allies) the oppressor that drove him to totalitarianism. ISIS survivor Magneto doesn't work because ISIS never existed in the MCU (Stark privatised World peace in 2009). So Rwandan Magneto is probably the best way to do it. And there aren't very many pale skinned people from Rwanda. There are however a very high number of very talented black actors who've never been in the MCU. Denzel Washington being one.

• Like 2

I think sometimes things should be examined or reexamined. There's some value in casting someone of Egyptian Decent as Moon Knight. Magneto as black or even African, seems a little on the nose in making the metaphor too heavy-handed. Part of it is that Xavier and Magneto, at least, should be able to blend in as the privileged majority without any other thing standing out (except for maybe Xavier's handicap). Changing that makes it about multiple things, and you can do it, but you have to keep in mind what might change and rebalance accordingly. I think you could make a bunch of characters central to the X-Men mythos black (or hispanic or whatever) though, no problem: Cyclops or Iceman, Jean. I'd lean against the All-New, All-Different group since they were already from different places. Almost anyone who came later and that's not tied to a certain very specific locale/background (like Gambit, though you could still do it). It makes sense that people from different backgrounds had their mutant gene activated at around the same time. 

EDIT: I do think a lot of that all hinges on whether or not you're making Magneto your protagonist or antagonist, actually. 

Edited by Matt D

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:31 AM, Brian Fowler said:

We do definitely need an update on Magneto that removes the Holocaust from his backstory.

Why?  As AxB said, Magneto is a monster born from a monstrosity.  His whole reason for being is to protect mutants from the genocide he experienced.  Being a Holocaust survivor is very important to Magneto's identity.

Unfortunately, he's always wanted to answer genocide with genocide..

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:11 AM, AxB said:

Either would work, but politically you're arguably making America (or it's allies) the oppressor that drove him to totalitarianism.

That's always been the case for the X-Men story though, especially in the '60's when the comic was the blatant social criticism on America's reluctance on guaranteeing civil rights for all.

The X-Men are pretty much the mutant Buffalo Soldiers fighting fiercely to protect a world that fears and sometimes hates them for being different.

That's what makes Black Magneto so intriguing because it throws racism into an already toxic stew.

We've now reached the Smoky Mountain Wrestling Gangtas booking for Marvel Studios.

"I wanna send a special shout out to my homeboy, Magneto.  Keep up the good work."

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

I went down a New Jack Youtube hole last night (as evidenced in the promo thread) and found a Tracy Smothers interview where he talked about the night Jack did the OJ promo. There were exactly three cops in that town, they were all Klan, and they lost it. In another town just the appearance of the Gangstas and D-Lo (who actually trained himself in his backyard!) had another set of Klan cops ready to take them to jail and disappear them just because they were black in their county so Tracy had to smarten them up to the business and explain the Malcolm X flag angle they were about to do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

*sigh* They finally drilled down to something that'll get me to sign up.

Me too.  All of this content expansion via Disney+ makes me wonder just how much of this shit I'm going to need to watch in order not to be totally lost when the next feature length film comes out.

If they keep using these movies as bridges to the characters appearing in other movies (Scarlet Witch's series leading into her role in the Doctor Strange sequel), then it's going to be quite a lot of content you'll need to watch. Kamala Khan's series will be the same way, except she'll appear in multiple movies, not just having a feature role in any one movie. I mean, it's all rumors (except for the Scarlet Witch and Ms. Marvel stuff), but supposedly the Loki series leads into the new Thor movie, and Falcon & Winter Soldier will build up to a new Captain America movie once it's done.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

Why?  As AxB said, Magneto is a monster born from a monstrosity.  His whole reason for being is to protect mutants from the genocide he experienced.  Being a Holocaust survivor is very important to Magneto's identity.

The problem is, if you tie him specifically to the Holocaust, you can't use him in contemporary media without his being really old.

But there's an easy solution for that. Just say that at some point, Alpha the Ultimate Mutant turned him into a baby, and now he's an adult again. Simple!

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

I don't mean it's a bad origin. I mean, if he was ten at the end of the Holocaust, he'd be 88 at the point the MCU is currently set. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I've always preferred the theory that because of the super science and magic being slung around Marvel and DC that culture and technology have advanced to reflect "modern times" all that much more quickly.  So it *looks/feels* like 2019, but in universe it's still 1975 (or whatever).