DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Does Jeff Goldblum even know what Spider-Man and the Marvel Universe are?

I'm sort of confused why Black Knight is even in The Eternals.

It almost seems like the Disney+ shows are setting up some kind of West Coast Avengers spinoff, but i dunno.

7 hours ago, Ace said:

Interesting that Gemma Chan is back in the MCU as Sersi. She was just Dr. Minerva in Captain Marvel.

She's basically a featured extra in Captain Marvel and wears makeup and a mask most of the time we see her. So it's not a huge leap for her to play a different character and more prominent role.

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm sort of confused why Black Knight is even in The Eternals.

He and Sersi have been an item in the comics before.

57 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Saw a picture of concept art for the characters in The Eternals. Ehhhhhh... I’ve never read the books. Is it supposed to be high fantasy looking? I don’t think I like the look of this. 

It’s Jack Kirby, so pretty much.

23 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

It’s Jack Kirby, so pretty much.

Let’s see how it works this time. I don’t think people have much affinity to Thor, and Thor 2. Two movies that tried the sci-fi/high Fantasy concept to mixed results.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

8 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

How are Thor and 2hor high concept?

High fantasy mixed with a bit of sci-fI. Thor 3 goes more in the sci-fi comedy direction like GoTG did. People responded better to that, than the previous 2 films genre bending.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Buzz out of Disney is they have no fucking clue what to do with Deadpool right now.

I was worried this would happen with the FOX deal. No,  this isn't concern trolling,  I truly believe the Disney/FOX merger was bad for cinema.  I was never expecting Disney to put out the type of movies that FOX would under 20th Century and Fox Searchlight and even with just comic book movies I was never expecting Disney to put out a Deadpool or a Logan. 

Obviously there's a lot of good that can come from it with X-Men and Fantastic Four but time will tell if they ever want to get into the mature audiences business. 

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Let’s see how it works this time. I don’t think people have much affinity to Thor, and Thor 2. Two movies that tried the sci-fi/high Fantasy concept to mixed results.

The first Thor movie was the best to feeling like Kirby's early Thor as one could hope for. I mean just the look of everythoijng was so Kirby I nearly wept

Thor 2 was a bit more... I dunoo... I kept wanting ot say "Where's The Sampo" through the whole thing

James

At least, I actually dug the Loki stuff more in the first than every other film he’s appeared in. But I couldn’t stand the Beastmaster II main plot.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it. Thor was Beastmaster 2. The main villain is even the hero’s evil brother.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I truly believe the Disney/FOX merger was bad for cinema. 

Counterpoint: I can now buy a ticket to a movie secure in the knowledge that I'm not giving any money to Rupert Murdoch. He's a cunt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, AxB said:

Counterpoint: I can now buy a ticket to a movie secure in the knowledge that I'm not giving any money to Rupert Murdoch. He's a cunt.

Well yeah but if you dig into some of the Disney executives background or any of these studios it starts to look bad very quickly. They all suck.  

@Matt D 

I'm not sure what you mean with Guardians 1.  Can Disney make a good Deadpool movie that is more family friendly? Yeah,  I think they could but that's not what people would want with it.  

10 hours ago, twiztor said:

just keep letting Ryan Reynolds do whatever the fuck he wants with that franchise.

This, pretty much. I have a feeling the “Disney doesn’t know what to do” is less they don’t want to make mature comic movies, and more how they fit him in to the MCU the right way. He doesn’t really fit tonally, and his movies were barely in the X-Men movie continuity, but it’s a proven commodity they can’t let go to waste. My solution would be either a cameo in Strange 2 that establishes other universes and give Reynolds free reign for a movie set in another universe, or set his movies on the periphery of the MCU with the only connections being the occasional background Easter egg, like you see Deadpool in the background of some shot in the next Avengers movie.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AxB said:

Ike Perlmutter's not much of an improvement. Although he no longer has say over Marvel Studios.

Well, since DC was dumb and never greenlit Gareth Evans's Deathstroke project, here's hoping that Marvel will pick him up for the 2020 Blade do-over. 

He's got a good pedigree in both action and horror joints so I think he'd be perfect for the MCU re-introduction for the famed Vampire Slayer.

I'd be down for a Midnight Sons / Horror Avengers deal where Blade, Ghost Rider, Man - Wolf / Werewolf By Night, Man-Thing and maybe Morbius get their own movies and eventually team up to confront Lilith..

Or is that using the fomula one too many times?

Edited by J.T.