DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

Now there's reports that Deadpool will be kept away from the main MCU movies - so basically they won't change anything and he won't really have an effect on the other movies/the MCU, or appear in them. But now apparently Sony really wants Venom in the next Spider-Man movie.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

But now apparently Sony really wants Venom in the next Spider-Man movie.

I can see why as the character is popular despite having detractors, Tom Hardy fanbase and it brings together the MCU with the Sony Spider-Man spinoffs. Said before that I wish Marvel Studios had the Spidey rights to themselves and if I were Sony, I'd let Marvel Studios handle things with their track record. That would require humility too.

We won't get Norman Osborn/Harry Osborn any time soon with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy and Marc Webb's Amazing Spider-Man. Doctor Octopus is long due a return, 15 year absence.

Edited by The Natural

Sony got a huge hit out of Venom (and it's such a strange movie. It's objectively pretty bad, but it's just so much fucking fun) and I don't see why they need to combine it with the MCU. The whole point of giving up Spider-Man was because they had just struck out badly with the character and needed something to give the movies a boost. Venom doesn't need that at all right now.

Although if we somehow eventually get Agent Venom with the GOTG, I'm down with that.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Although if we somehow eventually get Agent Venom with the GOTG, I'm down with that.

I never read the the GOTG with Venom since I was not fond of Bendis's writing, but I loved Flash as Agent Venom. One of the reasons I dislike the lack of classic Flash in the MCU is purely because Agent Venom is not a possibility now.

• Like 1

I don't get why you wouldn't want to have Spider-Man and Venom in a movie together at some point. Makes no sense to me.

Just like making a Spider-Man-less Venom story where Venom is the hero. Heroic Venom is generally garbage.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:42 AM, TheVileOne said:

I don't get why you wouldn't want to have Spider-Man and Venom in a movie together at some point. Makes no sense to me.

Sony doesn't seem to realize that Venom was an INTERNATIONAL hit.  It was savaged in the reviews here in the states.

If I were Disney, I'd definitely keep Spider-Man and Venom separate at least in live action joints.

If Sony wants Venom and Spider-Man together, put them in a really dark PG-13 animated feature so that you don't have to spend a kajillion dollars on CGI that may or may not look good.

Those posters for Spider-Man are just awful. I'd like to think this is the fault of Sony's marketing department, but I honestly don't know if they're handling the marketing and advertising or if Marvel Studios is handling that.

• Like 1

Just now, Craig H said:

Those posters for Spider-Man are just awful. I'd like to think this is the fault of Sony's marketing department, but I honestly don't know if they're handling the marketing and advertising or if Marvel Studios is handling that.

I think it's Sony. Might be wrong.

Just now, J.T. said:

Sony doesn't seem to realize that Venom was an INTERNATIONAL hit.  It was savaged in the reviews here in the states.

If I were Disney, I'd definitely keep Spider-Man and Venom separate at least in live action joints.

If Sony wants Venom and Spider-Man together, put them in a really dark PG-13 animated feature so that you don't have to spend a kajillion dollars on CGI that may or may not look good.

All of this. Just because China and other countries spent a bizarre amount of money on Venom doesn't mean you sacrifice your character that's likely taking over Iron Man's spot by sticking him in a movie with Venom.

Like you said, if you want to do Venom and Spidey, do it in the Into the Spider-Verse sequel.

Eh, I think you guys are underselling Venom’s success here.  As improbable to believe as it might be, it made basically equal or more money than stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody, Mission Impossible, Ant Man, A Star Is Born, A Quiet Place, Crazy Rich Asians...all films that made legitimate pop culture impacts in the US.  It was a hit. 

On 5/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, Casey said:

But now apparently Sony really wants Venom in the next Spider-Man movie.

That's amazing.  So take a character inextricably linked to Spider Man, remove all Spider Man connections to make a totally different movie....then put him into a Spider Man movie.  The mind boggles.  That would be like Hallie Berry's Catwoman showing up in Batman Begins.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Eh, I think you guys are underselling Venom’s success here.  As improbable to believe as it might be, it made basically equal or more money than stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody, Mission Impossible, Ant Man, A Star Is Born, A Quiet Place, Crazy Rich Asians...all films that made legitimate pop culture impacts in the US.  It was a hit. 

Financial success? Without a doubt.

Critical success?  Nope, not hardly.

Sure, you ignore Venom's international license to print money at your own peril, but I also don't think Disney should tarnish their hard  fought MCU critical success by inserting an IP that was shredded by the critics.

Better for Sony do make an animated feature that feeds off of the success of Spider-Verse.  I think you have the potential to do more apeshit things with the Venom symbiote in an animated feature than you could with live action CGI, personally.

You could still have Tom Hardy do the voice work for cartoon Venom just for sake of continuity.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's amazing.  So take a character inextricably linked to Spider Man, remove all Spider Man connections to make a totally different movie....then put him into a Spider Man movie.  The mind boggles.  That would be like Hallie Berry's Catwoman showing up in Batman Begins.

What do you mean strip away all Spider-Man connections? They mentioned New York!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What's the whole deal with Spider Man, Sony, and Marvel?  Does Marvel Studios have any say in the character's direction moving forward or are the training wheels off so Sony's free to drive the bike right back into a sinkhole?

What Variety originally reported was that Sony and Disney had a five picture deal. Which means this would be the last one. But there are all sorts of rumors about what Disney wants to do with Spider-Man next, so maybe that report was wrong or they've extended the deal.

And the tweet (from a guy who apparently nailed Endgame spoilers six months before it opened) says they want Tom Hardy as Venom in the MCU.

Which, honestly, if Hardy brings the same level of crazy energy, I'm more than okay with it. Venom is a shitty character, there is never going to be a "good" Venom movie, but at least the one we got was bonkers enough to be fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2