DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

Here's your spoiler thread. 

My suggestion is to keep spoiler boxing things through Thursday evening at least.  After that, the movie is out and everything is fair game (IN THAT THREAD). 

Taking my daughter to see it at the local drive-in.

She's 10.  Born a few months after Iron Man 1, and days after Incredible Hulk.  I took her to see our first movie, another drive-in, a double feature of Brave & Avengers.  She didn't understand much of it (she was really only 4, with the attention span to go with), but when big exciting things would happen, and the colorful costumes would pop up, you could see her eyes light up.  And, for me, I laughed that silly laugh you get when you're emotional but it doesnt fit to be that emotional ... after all, I was only a fully realized Hulk - my favorite superhero since I was a child - beating the fuck out of aliens because Captain America said "Hulk ... smash."

The rest of the movies came and went, and so did my daughter's childhood.  And shit would happen ... work kept me hours away from her, and me and her mom started to drift ... but there were always the Avengers.  None of the films really did "it" the way Avengers did for us.  Even Age of Ultron was kind of meh.  And as my kid became a child then a pre-pre-teen, I figured she was outgrowing these movies.  Kinda outgrowing the thing we had.  She didn't watch any of the Guardians films.  She watched YouTube while I watched Thor:Ragnarok.  She was going to be *that* teenager, I was going to be *that* dad.

Then we went to see Black Panther.  I basically dragged her to it.  But afterwards, she was on the edge of her seat.  We've watched that one three times, and her favorite Marvel character ... literally 1000s of characters to choose from ... is, on any given day, either Shuri (because she's smart) or Okoye (because she's, direct quote, "strong and loyal").

So, she was down for Infinity War.  At the end, she was gutted.  Then came the questions: "What's going to happen next?" "Where did everyone go?"  "Is Shuri okay?" And suddenly, I realized I'm watching little me, at 10, in awe after hearing "I am your father", and I get misty eyed like a bitch.

Two weeks ago, I told her, "Oh hey, guess what's coming out?  The follow-up to that Thanos movie."  She stopped dead, what she was doing, and said, "Can we see it tonight?" She misunderstood, and she had the audacity to be pissed at me about why the movie was not available for us to go RIGHT NOW and watch it.

Endgame comes out this weekend.  I'm leaving work early, and we are going to sit at the drive-in before it opens, even if there's a line, and we're going to watch it.

My kid turns 11 in 2 mos.  She's watched these movies develop a single story over her entire lifetime, and I've watched her entire lifetime develop with a backdrop of films (my favorite form of entertainment) starring some of the characters I've enjoyed since my childhood.

This is more than a movie.  To me.  And it's a weird feeling, saying that.  But I want me and this kid to be in awe and laughing and crying and impressed and ready to tell everyone what we thought about it.

Then we'll see it again the day after.

• Thanks 4

So @nate's story really struck a chord with me.  My daughter is also 10(she'll be 11 in September).  I've been a stay at home dad since she was born.  We have three things we've always done together--watch Looney Tunes, watch wrestling, and watch superhero related shows and movies.  We still do all three, but she's growing up and I know it won't be long before things start to change.  We've watched all the Marvel cartoons that have been on tv since she was little--Avengers Assemble, Agents of SMASH, Ultimate Spiderman, the current Spiderman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther plus Earth's Mightiest Heroes and any animated Marvel movie we've come across.  It wasn't until about a year and a half to two years ago that she decided she was ready to watch the MCU movies, she wasn't ready to see violence like that with real people until that point.  In that time my wife has had a couple of promotions and had to travel a good bit for work(Toronto, New Jersey twice, San Antonio and the Philippines last year; Toronto once so far this year, China next month, South Africa probably in June and then maybe India and a return trip to the Philippines later this year) and we were searching for a house to buy(and finally accomplished in November).  By the time we moved in December we had only seen Captain America: The First Avenger and the first two Iron Man movies.  We started trying to watch one a week until two weeks ago, when we realized there might be a chance the drive-in would run a Captain Marvel/End Game double feature when they opened.  We watched four or five movies the weekend before Easter and four or  five this past weekend.  We knocked out Ant-Man and Civil War yesterday; today we've watched Dr. Strange and are halfway through Black Panther with Spider-Man: Homecoming a real possibility tonight as well.  We found out yesterday the drive-in is in fact showing a double feature though End Game is going on first(people have complained on Facebook, they don't seem to be changing it).  We should get everything watched by then, but it looks like the weather could potentially end up closing things down on Saturday with too much rain(it's a grass lot, no concrete or blacktop). 

I have my fingers crossed the weather holds enough and we can go.  I've had so much fun the last two weeks watching my daughter connect dots on who this character is or how they tie into the next movie coming up all from watching the cartoons and animated movies.  I never read comics as a kid so the watching the MCU movies on my own as they came out, watching the cartoons with my daughter over the last 6 or 7 years and now rewatching the movies with her and my wife has been my only real exposure to the material but these last two weeks have added so much meaning to the films now that we are experiencing it together.  My wife gets so upset when something happens to the characters, she was mad that Quicksilver died so I can only imagine how pissed she's going to be Saturday when we watch Infinity War and I have to deal with the fallout from that until we see End Game.  I'm just glad that now we have these movies as another family activity to look forward to each year.

Edited by gatling
  • Thanks 3

The new cinema I mention added some more screenings this week, five are down to the last few. The one I'm going to with my Dad has sold out. Only other films I remember with such demand were The Dark Knight (2008), The Dark Knight Rises (2012), The Avengers (2012), Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and this.

Edited by The Natural

Quick update, the drive-in posted on Facebook a little while ago they are closed for the weekend due to weather.  There is a creek just a couple of hundred yards south that is over it's banks due to the rain and with more coming there won't be anywhere for the water to drain to.  So fingers crossed the weather is good all of next week and that they can hold over Captain Marvel another week.  They were already going to run End Game for at least two weeks so it will be there next weekend for sure, weather permitting.

Yeah. I give up. I am going to go see this thing by myself right now because if I waited for the teenager, it would be at least one week and maybe more. I don't think I can go more than two or three more days without being accidentally spoiled.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Yeah. I give up. I am going to go see this thing by myself right now because if I waited for the teenager, it would be at least one week and maybe more. I don't think I can go more than two or three more days without being accidentally spoiled.

My Dad went to the toilet as I was looking for our seats and heard the biggest spoiler of them all by a group of lads. Felt bad for him.

On Thursday, there was a big picture from the premiere on the cover of the Sun, with the headline saying (Actress) Steals The Show in Avengers, see page 15. So on page 15, you'd expect there would be premiere pictures and a fashion review of which actress was wearing the most stylish* outfit. But no, it was a list of how much screen time each actor had in the movie. Spoilery as hell. 

* nb: Revealing

I'm really looking forward to the announcement of future Marvel Studios films as Kevin Feige said we'd get after Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home. Phase Three films were revealed in an October 2014 press conference by Feige. I see:

Doctor Strange 2

Black Panther 2

Spider-Man 3 though that's dependant on the shared deal with Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures. 

Black Widow.

Captain Marvel 2.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

11 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

When have they announced their big slate before? I feel like we’ll hear things at or by SDCC.

October 2014 event as I mentioned:

https://insidethemagic.net/2018/04/looking-back-at-marvels-phase-3-announcement-and-all-the-changes-that-have-come-since/

https://screencrush.com/marvel-movies-announcement-event/

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/marvel-studios-unveils-phase-3-of-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Before the above, I'm not sure. SDCC if I had to guess.

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Giacchino is great. His score is such a huge contribution to what made Lost work even during the parts where it really didn't work. 

If Doctor Strange gets a sequel, I hope he signs on for that as well. 

I replay the ending to Doctor Strange and Doctor Strange's first trailer for the performances and the music by Michael Giacchino.

I'd be very surprised if Doctor Strange doesn't get a sequel.

Edited by The Natural

13 hours ago, The Natural said:

I popped when the Spider-Man 1960's theme played over the Marvel Studios logo in Spider-Man: Homecoming and hearing it now for Spider-Man: Far From Home.

How about actually using that fucking music in the damn fucking movie and not saving it for the fucking Marvel logo.

Giacchino is a great composer, but his Homecoming score was a letdown, and so was the Doctor Strange score. Doctor Strange had one really badass track and it's left at the closing credits when everyone's leaving.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

How about actually using that fucking music in the damn fucking movie and not saving it for the fucking Marvel logo.

Giacchino is a great composer, but his Homecoming score was a letdown, and so was the Doctor Strange score. Doctor Strange had one really badass track and it's left at the closing credits when everyone's leaving.

I love that track so much. 

• Like 1