DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

Prior to Captain Marvel, I made it through Iron Man 3 in rewatching everything MCU.  Decided to skip Dark World (don't have a copy anywhere anyway) and Guardians of the Galaxy (which I watch on the occasional lark as it is) and stuck to Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron

First moment from Winter Soldier that stood out from prior viewings was the "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye" remark, which I'm not sure it quite hangs together in retrospect.  Then again, Nick really does like cats, and Goose did a bad bad thing...could be referencing Carol, but that's...I don't know.  A stretch.  It makes it all the more irksome that we'll probably never get an in-between movie that explains the change in demeanor.  Here's hoping for Black Widow...

Age of Ultron is better than I remembered. Jokey Ultron with Goddamned Teeth is still the fucking worst, and Quicksilver feels way too flat (which almost serves to telegraph his death), but I forgot how many touches I liked.  All the jokes about Hawkeye on the team seem well-placed, but also juxtaposed by the fact that he's the most stable human out of the lot of them, *and* he's the one who not only outfoxes Wanda but also whips her into shape when it's time to call her number.  The line about "the scary thing isn't that they don't need you - it's that they do" was pretty well borne out by the events of the film.

All the bits with Bruce and Nat are wonderful, and that needs to go somewhere in Endgame.  It's past time.  Maybe an opportunity for Worldbreaker Hulk to show up if he thinks Thanos has killed her during the big confrontation we know is coming (fuck you spoilers, fuck you spoilers, fuck you spoilers...).  The line of Nat's during the party about "the guy who spends his life avoiding the fight because he know he'll win" is maybe the single coolest and on-point thing anyone has ever said about Hulk.

But the movie's still kind of a mess, and I think that takes its worst turn by far when Vision pops up.  Talk about your deus ex machina.  In that sense, the events of Civil War and Infinity War are rather welcome, since we not only see him severely screw up but also get brought back down from Superman levels of ridiculous behavior.  And Jokey Ultron...man.  The most chilling moment he has in the whole movie is his first one, and it's because that Iron Legionnaire is a shambling wreck.  But we've already litigated the "why is Ultron so human?" case.  Overall, I feel like this might have been sufficient to bump AoU out of the "don't bother" group and into the "rewatch" category for me, though it's still pretty clearly bottom half and well beneath the "this one sparks joy" group of the top 9 or 10.

34 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

First moment from Winter Soldier that stood out from prior viewings was the "Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye" remark, which I'm not sure it quite hangs together in retrospect. 

You think that's aged poorly? How about Coulson's "Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division" bit from the first Iron Man? Fury was calling it Shield all throughout Captain Marvel and I'm sure people who watched the Peggy Carter show can be put me on to other such moments.

Good read on Age of Ultron. Even if jokey, toothy Ultron isn't for you and it is a bit of a mess, it's nice to see the movie recognized for some of the better beats Joss got in there. 

Rewatched Thor: The Dark World. Super bland. The Loki stuff was really good (especially the beat with him and Frigga), but only about 15 minutes of the movie tops. So... whatever.

Guardians Vol. 2 is a really strong installment. Thematically strong movie about difficult families that fleshes out the MCU's Nebula and her relationship with Gamora, and has some good Rocket-Quill and Rocket-Yondu dynamics. GotG needle drops are still fun, if a bit easy. There's plenty of colour in the movie. Baby Groot is a hit. And Kurt Russell is in the movie, which is never a bad thing.

But GotG Vol. 2 also has some of the most laboured humour in the MCU. There's a lot of good laughs here. There's also a lot of swings and misses. Rocket and Drax spend far too much time laughing uproariously, to the point where I feel like I'm being bullied into finding something amusing. Taserface was rough, no way around it. Dragged so badly you'd think you were watching Peter Griffin selling his knee. 

Marvel posted a little collection of mid/post credit scenes on their Twitter, and I'm pretty sure it's the first official release of the one from Captain Marvel. Most of them are connected to Endgame in some form or another, then you have stuff like the shawarma scene and Peter Quill talking to Teenage Groot in his room for whatever reason.

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

We are going Saturday night so maybe I should stay the hell away from everything and everyone for a couple days prior lol

You should be fine here. Rare when a spoiler comes out without warning/spoiler tags.

Initial reactions (never a great judge but you can usually get some sense about things) are excellent.

We have no idea when we're going to see it. Presumably, NEXT weekend, one of us will take the 17 year old. For some reason, tickets aren't available that far out at our local theater. After that, I'm not sure what happens. It's perfectly possible that we have my parents come down from MA (we see them maybe 3x a year) so they can see the kids and the wife and I can see Endgame together, even though one of us will have already seen it, but that hasn't been fully worked out yet. At this stage, I'm not expecting to see it for weeks though. It's been a couple of years since we saw a movie together instead of dividing and conquering with the kids.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Fun:

I swear there should be some ridiculously long German word to signify that my primary feeling upon seeing virtually any of this is that I want you to go back in time and show it to me in 1999 because I wouldn't at all believe you.

• Like 1

I have a prediction.   I think this opening weekend is heading north of $300M in the U.S. alone.  I would tack on an additional say 25% or so from Infinity War's opening.  I also think this can surpass The Force Awakens domestic total.  

I'm not sure if it will get to Avatar worldwide. I think it'll break pretty much every box office record except maybe Avatar's $2.7 billion.   Right now I'm going to say this does around $2.4 billion.