DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

Bought.  I was looking for a Carol shirt, and that kills two birds with one stone.

And fuck allllllllll the haters.  Carol's movie is AWESOME~!~!~!

A lot of things spring to mind (half of which I've probably already forgotten on the ride home), so spoilers ahoy:

Spoiler

Yeah, the origin story is actually pretty fucking great.  I liked the touches that appear throughout: the "Psyche-Magnetron", the extent of Kree intervention, the familiar faces, but of course they went a whole other way and gave themselves their Big Out for Endgame, since Carol could effectively do the same thing Wanda tried to do.

And yeah, this is not typical "smash shit every 10 minutes" Marvel, and it's better for it.  I don't think there are really pacing problems with this, and I don't see why that would be someone's big criticism of the film.  The first act of the film feels a little clunky, but once the bigger picture is revealed, that sense of not-quite-rightness that pervades early on actually has a function in setting up the entire closing act.  It's clunky and not quite right because the person at the center is, herself, not quite right, and once that star on her suit gets pointed in the right direction, it really takes off from there.

If I was wrong about my "2 out of 3" thing, it was definitely the "oodles of charisma" bit, because, goddamn, Sam Jackson & Brie Larson have it.  They play off each other wonderfully, and this would be a ridiculously funny movie if Marvel hadn't just put out both Ragnarok & AM&W, which are also both super funny movies. So, somehow, this is only the 4th-funniest movie Marvel's done, at best. I got a special kick out of the mid-credits scene.  World-renowned physicist Bruce Banner: "We don't know what this is..." It's a fucking beeper, Bruce!

There are things I wonder about though, like, "How the crap did they survive 6 years on that ship?" but the quibbles feel like just that - not important enough to worry about when the rest of it is a good time.

I feel like this is Marvel's second-most politically daring movie, after BP of course.  Given any number of current events, there could be a Hell of a lot of parallels drawn to things happening in the U.S., and a part of me wonders how much stark-mad howling will happen once more people - sorry, more white males - are aware of the content of the film - not even the feminist-tilted bits or the pre-howling related to Larson's comments in Marie Claire, but the obvious Kree vs. Skrull lines of comparison that wouldn't go away if you just gender-swapped Jude Law into Carol's role and made this a Mar-Vell movie.

So no, this isn't a stumble by Marvel.  It isn't even close, and they haven't stumbled since, what, Age of Ultron?  That's a good run.

• Like 1

I don't get all the hyper-sensitivity over Captain Marvel. Anyone who likes it is nothing more than a shill or pushing feminist propaganda. People who don't like it are male fascist chauvinists, blah blah blah.

It's just so weird. I remember when these movies were not the norm and it seemed unusual for critics to like them at all. Like X-Men 2 actually got fantastic reviews, especially compared to the first movie which critics didn't generally adore. Even the first Spider-Man movie only got I think 80% on RT at the time. Trust me, it's 90 percent now but back in the day it wasn't. And those were among the higher end ones pre-Iron Man/Dark Knight/Avengers. 

The truth is, I thought Captain Marvel was decent superhero fare. Like superior to Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World, but inferior to say Guardians Vol. 2, Iron Man, Thor: Ragnarok, etc.

Political agenda: Sure it was there. But I mean lots of popcorn entertainment shove in their political agendas in there. It's nothing new. I don't think it was a huge deal like it was shoved down our throats. To me that's the key. I don't really mind if there's a political agenda reinforced in a film that's opposite to mine so long as its still good and not shoved down my throat. 

Yeah, I loved this movie. If anything, it makes me want to see more of Carol Danvers as soon as possible, and a solo Nick Fury movie. Every appearance prior to this is so much different than how he is in this movie, and that needs to be explored. Maybe it'll be expanded upon in the Black Widow movie a little bit, like how in Captain Marvel we got more context about the Fury character. He needs more fleshing out to complete everything.

Ben Mendelsohn was fantastic in this, too. Pretty much everyone was great.

More, please.

• Like 2

First third was pretty bad. Final 2/3 were all time great for me.

I see no reason why Ben Mendelsohn can't at least get a nomination for best supporting actor.

That end scene was such a great gaslighting fuck you response whilst a great call back to the rest of the series.

Goose spinoff please.

Edited by RolandTHTG
  • Like 1

Movie was fucking awesome. Slow start, but the back 2/3 was so damn good. Stuff at the start was good too, but it really finds itself about 45 minutes in. 

LOVED the Stan Lee cameo and their tribute to him. 

Spoiler

MALLRATS!!! HOLY SHIT! 

• Like 3

Saw it a few hours ago. I dug it from beginning to end. Loved seeing a younger Fury. Jackson and Larson had great chemistry. Also dug Bening and Law quite a bit in their roles. Thought it was pretty good overall, probably somewhere in the upper middle of Marvel movies. It didn't reinvent wheel, but it was just different enough with solid story and good cast.

Thor: Ragnarok
Infinity War
Captain Marvel
Spiderman 2 (2004)
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy
X-Men: First Class
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

--------Enjoyed but probably not going to rewatch-------
Iron Man
Spiderman (2001)
X-Men: Days Of Future Past
Spiderman: Homecoming
Ant-Man
X2
The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Blade
X-Men
Ant Man 2
Fantastic Four Rise Of The Silver Surfer
Logan
The Wolverine
X-Men: The Last Stand
Deadpool
Fantastic Four (2005)

-----------Boring-----------
Blade Trinity
Daredevil
Thor
X-Men: Apocalypse
--------Bad Films------------
Amazing Spiderman 2
Iron Man 2
The Amazing Spiderman
Blade II
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Ghost Rider
Iron Man 3
Spiderman 3
Elektra
Thor The Dark World
------Fuck you for making this------
Hulk (2003)

13 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Hide contents

I guess this means The First Avenger title was a lie. I still hate that title. It was a stupid title.

Spoiler

Captain America: The First Avenger is set like fifty years before Captain Marvel, though.

Thought I spotted a familiar name buried in the credits, but it was Duke Bautista who was a driver on the movie, not Dave.

It was really good. It's good to see another surprise deal, where the movie that comes out isn't necessarily the one the trailers and pre-release hype were telling you about. But unlike Iron Man 3, the rug pull doesn't feel like the audience is being ripped off from having what looked like a classic villain. Besides which we've seen the Kree before (in GotG 1 and Agents of Shield) and they weren't exactly huge babyfaces. Might have to re-watch Guardians 1 to see what's been recontextualised.

1 hour ago, AxB said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Captain America: The First Avenger is set like fifty years before Captain Marvel, though.

Thought I spotted a familiar name buried in the credits, but it was Duke Bautista who was a driver on the movie, not Dave.

It was really good. It's good to see another surprise deal, where the movie that comes out isn't necessarily the one the trailers and pre-release hype were telling you about. But unlike Iron Man 3, the rug pull doesn't feel like the audience is being ripped off from having what looked like a classic villain. Besides which we've seen the Kree before (in GotG 1 and Agents of Shield) and they weren't exactly huge babyfaces. Might have to re-watch Guardians 1 to see what's been recontextualised.

I noticed there was a Jimmy Hart in the stunt doubles. That was confusing.

5 hours ago, AxB said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I wasn't expecting babyface Kree. In fact, I think they basically should've made Ronin a bigger villain here, along with the Supreme Intelligence if anything. What's more villainous than this this fucking thing? It's like a reverse wizard of oz.

maxresdefault.jpg

Iirc, the set-up for GotG was a peace treaty between the Kree and the Nova Corps, and Ronan being so upset that the war was finishing via peaceful negotiation that he went rogue (and teamed with Thanos) to try and finish the war via genocide instead. So,

Spoiler

it took Carol 22 years to militarily damage the Kree enough for them to halt their ruthless expansionism.

23 minutes ago, John Austin said:

Not complaining, but I was expecting that Supreme Intelligence not the one we got. 

That's what we should've gotten. I would've been fine if it was just one post-credit scene. Marvel always cops out when it comes to depicting weird giant head characters.

They will do Rocket and Groot, but not MODOK, Supreme Intelligence, etc.