DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

On 2/15/2019 at 6:51 PM, AxB said:

Well, it's the Rocket Racoon thing isn't it? Hopefully somewhere in Endgame ('s deleted scenes) there's a bit where Rocket meets some actual terrestrial Racoons and freaks out that they can't talk.

Is he called Goose now because of Top Gun? Presumably someone in the cast is voice acting the cat. Might be Val Kilmer.

If you're going to have the cat talk and call him Goose, then he needs to be voiced by Anthony Edwards.

Kevin Feige was interviewed by Hollywood Reporter about Black Panther including that line:

At what point did you realize that this movie was going to attract a community that has historically been underserved in this genre?

It was in those early discussions that we had with Ryan, that he had with Nate Moore, our executive producer at Marvel who brought him in to meet with us. And that amazing line, that he and his co-writer, Joe Robert Cole, wrote for Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) as he lay dying outside the vibranium mines looking over Wakanda. T'Challa says, "I can try to heal you," and he says, "Why, so you can lock me up? Just bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who jumped ships, 'cause they knew death was better than bondage." That was in the first draft. It was one of the best lines we ever read. We said, "There are going to be a lot of revisions, but don't touch that line." And Ryan said, "That's the line I thought you'd tell me to cut." And we said, "On the contrary, keep it and build more of the movie around it."

That's up there for the best dialogue in the MCU.

• Like 8

On 2/15/2019 at 3:51 PM, AxB said:

Well, it's the Rocket Racoon thing isn't it? Hopefully somewhere in Endgame ('s deleted scenes) there's a bit where Rocket meets some actual terrestrial Racoons and freaks out that they can't talk.

Is he called Goose now because of Top Gun? Presumably someone in the cast is voice acting the cat. Might be Val Kilmer.

Val Kilmer can't speak very well anymore.

Hard to parse where Captain Marvel is right now BO wise. There were a bunch of really positive projections a week ago and what looks to be a lot of dubious news sites trying to knock it down in the last week. 

Actually it's easy, but pretty annoying to parse.

Not worried.

I suppose this also depends on what you mean by "not allowing".  The first few pages of Infinity War search results turn up reviews that didn't go live until ~48 hours before the official release date.  Friday is...*checks clock*...more than 48 hours away.  So...

Besides, the Rotten Tomatoes thing was probably long, long, long, long, long overdue.  If it hadn't happened recently, no one would be linking it to Carol's film.  The trash of the Internet would have just hot-taked that some other movie was responsible for the change.

Edited by Contentious C

First glance of reviews: pretty positive stuff. Hollywood Reporter was harsh. My gut says that your tolerance/sweet spot for 90s nostalgia (and Top Gun nostalgia) is going to have an impact. There's some sense that it might be better received if we weren't in between big Avengers movies with the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers, which was something that impacted Ant-Man and the Wasp a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Who the fuck is this and why does their movie opinionz 4 u matter? 

I still don't see why anyone really cares what these people think. I've had the same discussions/thoughts about Meltzer in regards to his star ratings, and that's kind of similar to this. I've seen PLENTY of movies that reviewers hated and I loved, and that I hated that reviewers loved. Negative reactions aren't going to sway Marvel Studios, but the box office would. But it's already outpacing Black Panther and others in ticket sales, so I don't think they have much to worry about.

Just because it isn't a feminist masterpiece for grown adults doesn't mean it won't be a positive experience for any little girl out there that loves these movies. And I only mention feminism since the original Twitter person mentioned it, so...

• Like 1

Personally, I spent no more than 5 minutes scanning a few based on a google search for "Captain Marvel reviews" and the top sliding bar that it gave me. I wasn't really spoiled on anything. I got a sense of how fair the criticisms might be on a quick qualitative aggregate. And I'm good. My immediate curiosity is sated. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get to see it (the gameplan for this one is to have the wife and teenager see it first and then make a call whether or not the 6 year old is going to be bored/scared as she wants to see it; we know her level; if it's a case where the wife decides it's not appropriate, I'll see it with the teenager deeper into its run - EDIT: Rich from BleedingCool thinks it's more than suitable for eight year olds and she's six and 3/4th so....).

Edited by Matt D

First reviews from reviewers I tend to agree with are ... very mixed. Main concerns I'm hearing is pacing, tried to stuff way too much in the movie, and that it felt like the writers were not even sure how to define Carol as an actual person.

I feel this is gonna be a good movie but more in the Thor 2 level of Marvel movie. Might feel differently when I see it in a week or so, and hope so.

I think it took them a long time to get Carol in the comics over the last few decades. The key adjectives I'd use are wry (occasionally to the point of being self-depreciating) and tough (to the point of being bullheaded or stubborn occasionally). Lots of being put upon. I think she works better as sort of an eye-rolling straight man in an ensemble (and they solved that problem in her solo books by giving her a big, colorful supporting cast). Obviously, that doesn't necessarily need to be what they do with the movie, but rarely have I seen a case where leaning too far into a character's military background makes them more nuanced instead of less.

I'm not excited for Captain Marvel as others are. I'm not into the cosmic side of the MCU. I think Guardians of the Galaxy is very overrated. I'll still see Captain Marvel as I've watched every Marvel Studios movie.

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I feel this is gonna be a good movie but more in the Thor 2 level of Marvel movie.

Thor 2 was horrible to me.  Just awful.  As far as critics go,   I'm seeing most of the bloggers like this well enough while the publications are lukewarm at best.  Oh and if y'all don't want me to post reviews in these threads that's fine...  keep the same energy for other movies lol People will be like "critics opinions don't matter...  until they do again" ..  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Who the fuck is this and why does their movie opinionz 4 u matter? 

She's a film critic for Thrillist and she also writes for Vanity Fair.

From the looks of the likes and retweets, no one really gives a shit about her opinionz 4 u.

A whole seventeen people are talking about her comments, yo.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, El Dragon said:

First reviews from reviewers I tend to agree with are ... very mixed. Main concerns I'm hearing is pacing, tried to stuff way too much in the movie, and that it felt like the writers were not even sure how to define Carol as an actual person.

Mixed?  It's 89% Fresh on RT with three days to release.

Edited by J.T.

Just now, J.T. said:

Mixed?  It's 89% Fresh on RT with three days to release.

Top Critics is 65% and usually RT scores for comic movies drop as time goes on.  The first to get their reviews in are the fanboys. That's always been the case.  Reviews just started going up this morning.  Even so, does it really matter?  If you want to love the movie then nobody's opinion should affect that.