DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I honestly believe that the GoTG is a done franchise with Gamora dead, Batistia not really feeling Drax anymore, James Gunn being persona non grata, and no other MCU director wanting to replace Gunn for a third installment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Endgame was the last we saw or heard of the current incarnation of the Guardians..

That just leaves Captain Marvel as your only space epic franchise that Marvel has (unless they go with the Stallone / Yeoh / Rhames GoTG spin off) and since MCU + Outer Space = Money, Disney will be looking to cash in with some other license.  

They are not the company that just leaves dollars on the table.

I agree that whatever they use, it probably shouldn't' be material as obscure or convoluted as The Eternals and the Celestials should always remain as background cosmic figures of mystery.  We know the Celestials exist In the MCU thanks to the Collector's History Of The Infinity Stones flashback in the first GoTG movie and they should forever be used as plot drivers.

Sitting through an Eternals movie will probably be as exciting as watching paint dry..

The life for Guardians moving on is probably in things like Rocket and Groot on Disney+, or Star-Lord appearing in a future movie in the way they've used Hulk over the last few years. If Pratt still wants to do things in ten years, I imagine they could get an amazing amount of mileage out of a Silver Surfer/Star-Lord pairing for instance. 

They should seed things for a Moondragon/Phyla-Vell pairing at some point too. I think there are ways to do that with having Moondragon as Drax' kid brought back to life after he dies or some such and Phyla tied to the new Captain Marvel movie and Jude Law or what not. 

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

The life for Guardians moving on is probably in things like Rocket and Groot on Disney+, or Star-Lord appearing in a future movie in the way they've used Hulk over the last few years. If Pratt still wants to do things in ten years, I imagine they could get an amazing amount of mileage out of a Silver Surfer/Star-Lord pairing for instance. 

They should seed things for a Moondragon/Phyla-Vell pairing at some point too. I think there are ways to do that with having Moondragon as Drax' kid brought back to life after he dies or some such and Phyla tied to the new Captain Marvel movie and Jude Law or what not. 

Spoiler

Hunter Parrish is supposedly Mar-Vell, not Jude Law 

I don't think GotG is done. In fact, I'm will to bet that once Endgame comes out we'll get some sort of an announcement about a director. Part of me hopes that Marvel Studios understands that their bread and butter really is the cosmic Marvel stuff because that's been the most entertaining stuff and they would be leaving too much money on the table by leaving GotG behind.

To put it another way, you don't go out and talk to Adam McKay about directing GotG 3 if that series is dead and it's also not like those talks are dead. McKay left it open ended and sounds game to do something with Marvel Studios. That's a huge get for them.

Regarding Batista, he's bummed that James Gunn is gone, but ultimately Big Dave just wants a good character to play with a lot to work with. He still has that with Drax. If anything soured him it's working on Specter and then Blade Runner where he went in being sold one bill of goods, but when it came time to film he had zero lines in Specter and was in Blade Runner for all of 5 minutes. I think Batista knows who has his back more than anyone else and so far it's Marvel Studios.

You’d think Carol would be the lynchpin of the new wave of space movies, especially  if they turn the Kree into a pseudo GL Corps (if they don’t rebuild the Nova Corps). 

You could even do the Carol/Gamma Flight/SWORD with her. 

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

You could even do the Carol/Gamma Flight/SWORD with her. 

Infinity War and Endgame do seem like a good reason to set up SWORD. That said, I don't want them to touch unless they are giving us a solid Abigail Brand.

Dy2DegvWkAAU64y.jpg

Avengers: Endgame. Original six Avengers back together. New costumes.

Iron Man's armour is great resembling a classic look of his. Once I see more of it, I may like it even more. The Mk VIII followed by the Mk III are the best Iron Man armors. Captain America finally has the scale/chain mail on. Only thing I'd change about the Russo Cap' suits is the missing white on the arms.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

At World's End was also three hours.

Christ that movie was long. Like, there's a serious difference between three hours that fly by, and 168 minutes of Pirates of the Godammed Caribbean.

• Like 3

These Academy Award asshats don't realize that no one will watch their bland award show even with the promise of a new Endgame trailer.

I'll just watch it on YouTube the next day like twenty times in a row without having to have sat through the fucking Oscars.

• Like 7

Isn't it one of those things where the only people who actually watch the Oscars are like 60+ years old, and use it as a 'What movies to watch this year' infomercial? Because I always found it odd, these films come out, get reviewed, have a full theatrical run, drop out of cinemas, possibly even come out of DVD/ BR... then win an Oscar, get re-released and people go to see them? What, were these people living under a rock the whole time?  

To echo that - we go to a family friends Oscar party every year full of retirees who do exactly this and they are absurdly excited about the whole show.  

I almost feel bad when I win the guessing pool every year.  Almost.  

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

Isn't it one of those things where the only people who actually watch the Oscars are like 60+ years old, and use it as a 'What movies to watch this year' infomercial? Because I always found it odd, these films come out, get reviewed, have a full theatrical run, drop out of cinemas, possibly even come out of DVD/ BR... then win an Oscar, get re-released and people go to see them? What, were these people living under a rock the whole time?  

It used to be that the prestige films got a token December release in NY and LA and didnt open even in limited release until after the Oscars. As someone that lived in the country, even making the trip to Philly or DC for a screening was not a guarantee until after awards season. 

44 minutes ago, Ace said:

As much as they're throwing Goose (formerly Chewie) out there, leads me to believe

Hide contents

He's an alien, like in the comics.

Has there been news saying otherwise? Doesn't seem like a decent point in having the cat there unless they go that route.

Regarding Goose:

Spoiler

Toys that are on the shelves already have spoiled the fact that he's an alien. In particular, a pretty weird/cool plush doll that pushes tentacles out of his mouth when you squeeze his stomach.

Well, it's the Rocket Racoon thing isn't it? Hopefully somewhere in Endgame ('s deleted scenes) there's a bit where Rocket meets some actual terrestrial Racoons and freaks out that they can't talk.

Is he called Goose now because of Top Gun? Presumably someone in the cast is voice acting the cat. Might be Val Kilmer.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Is he called Goose now because of Top Gun? Presumably someone in the cast is voice acting the cat. Might be Val Kilmer.

Don't think the cat talks, but I never did finish the Captain Marvel run where he was introduced.