DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Looking at the list, the question I have is actually... At what point does Disney/Marvel begin seeing diminishing returns?   

Yes, they got Ant-Man, Dr Cuckoobird, and the Guardians to be hits when they were at best niche sellers in print...  but is there really a market for a full bore Loki or Vision movie?  

Let's see how Eternals go? Honestly, I think this is the last wave of that. The next one can retrench with the X-characters/Deadpool and Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer. This one almost feels like bonus. If any of these pan out, they have another merchandising bonanza on their hands. Nova or Ms. Marvel, for instance, seem super marketable. They have almost nothing to lose in this wave. If it goes poorly, well, the next one has Wolverine so who cares? If it goes well, though....?

I'm curious about how well these TV series do and if there's any sort of backlash for the cancelling of stuff like Daredevil, Luke Cage, and presumably Jessica Jones and the Punisher too. Those shows being on Netflix was great because it offered a harder edge than what we saw in the MCU movies and there's no way anything on the Disney service winds up coming close in tone to Daredevil, Jessica Jones, or the Punisher. Hell, the Punisher will definitely be dead on TV and movies once it's cancelled.

For the movies, I guess if you keep putting out quality content and each movie remains really good then people will keep showing up. It'll turn into a "there's something for everyone" sort of thing I would think.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Looking at the list, the question I have is actually... At what point does Disney/Marvel begin seeing diminishing returns?   

Yes, they got Ant-Man, Dr Cuckoobird, and the Guardians to be hits when they were at best niche sellers in print...  but is there really a market for a full bore Loki or Vision movie?  

Loki, probably, Vison, not really. Neither are movies. They are mini-series, and Vision is accompanied to Scarlet Witch. Loki will do fine in whatever format. Vision and Scarlet Witch, if its good, will likely attract good deal more viewers on a cheap streaming service than expensive tickets at the movies would (at least US wise).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Today's rumor is Young Avengers, which feels tricky given Cassie's age and that Vision/Wanda didn't quite get that far along (but of course it could be any young characters).

Didn’t they recast Cassie for Endgame so they’d have an older actress?

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

I'm curious about how well these TV series do and if there's any sort of backlash for the cancelling of stuff like Daredevil, Luke Cage, and presumably Jessica Jones and the Punisher too.

If there's any backlash, it should be focused on Netflix, not Marvel. Netflix are the ones that decided to cancel all of the Defenders stuff.

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Today's rumor is Young Avengers, which feels tricky given Cassie's age and that Vision/Wanda didn't quite get that far along (but of course it could be any young characters).

Has anyone summed up the rumors lately? 

Movies

Eternals

Nova

Black Widow

Young Avengers

Disney+

Loki

Vision/Scarlet Witch

Groot/Rocket Raccoon

Winter Soldier/Falcon

What am I missing?

On the movie side, I believe there was a rumor about a Shang-Chi movie. On the TV side, Hawkeye is still in early development apparently (same with Rocket & Groot), along with mini-series' about War Machine & Lady Sif. All of this information comes from 4chan (yeah, I know) - and they also say series' about Agent 13, Nebula, Okoye, Hank Pym, the Ravagers, Moon Knight & the Sentry are being discussed too. Also "several" X-Men properties will get turned into mini-series/TV shows on Disney+.

Here's some plot details about Loki, Vision/Scarlet Witch, Falcon/Winter Soldier, War Machine, Lady Sif & Hawkeye. There are some Endgame spoilers in here, maybe. But, then again, it might all be the work of someone really bored with way too much time on their hands (it's from 4chan, after all). It all sounds good, though. Except the Loki show.

Spoiler

Loki meets the Norns after his death in Infinity War, and must persuade them to spare his soul from Hel. Hiddleston will appear in bookend scenes, and narrate throughout, but the majority of the story is about Loki's youth and the events that led him down the path of evil, with a new actor playing young Loki. Fionn Whitehead (Dunkirk, Black Mirror: Bandersnatch) is being brought up to play young Loki. Also, young Thor, and Rene Russo will have a big role as their mother Frigga. Odin will be away on a mission for most of the story, and the few times he does appear, his face will be obscured, with Anthony Hopkins ADR-ing the dialogue. Karnilla and Ulik will be the mean villains.

Vision is reborn in Endgame, and reunites with Scarlet Witch. They attempt to lead normal lives in the suburbs of New York, but Vision is no longer connected to the Mind Stone and is therefore cold and emotionless. Scarlet Witch attempts to use her powers to restore Vision's "soul" with disastrous results. Described as a "psychological thriller", light on action and heavy on atmosphere, and explores the lead character's personal issues. Vision will be in human form for most of the series, and become the villain, as Wanda realizes she accidentally allowed a dark spirit to possess him. Agatha Harkness will be a mysterious figure attempting to reveal secrets of Wanda's past to her. The public's backlash against human/machine relations will be a subplot. Frances Conroy, Vanessa Redgrave & Dianne West are being considered for Agatha Harkness.

Falcon & The Winter Soldier will be "deeply ingrained" in the events of Phase 4. Falcon & Bucky are recruited by SHIELD to prevent the anarchist group Ultimatum from enforcing a plan developed by HYDRA to destroy the UN. They also must deal with John Walker, a solider that the US government recruited to become the "new Captain America", who slowly goes insane. Described as a "spy thriller", but also relies on the dynamic between Falcon & Bucky. Sharon Carter will be their SHIELD contact, with Nick Fury also making appearances. William Hurt is in talks to reprise his role as Thaddeus Ross.

Hawkeye mini-series is described as a "caper". He comes out of retirement to help aspiring vigilante Kate Bishop after she gets in trouble with organized crime while using the Hawkeye name. Barton's family would be heavily featured as well. Linda Cardellini is willing to return, but Jeremy Renner is still deciding on if he wants to do it. The Hood & Trickshot would be the villains.

Lady Sif is being pitched as a "sidequel", about her journey across the Nine Realms after Loki exiles her while he's masquerading as Odin. Beta Ray Bill would be one of Sif's companions, and the Enchantress would be the main villain. Jamie Alexander is willing to return, but they're "trying to figure out a schedule that doesn't conflict with Blindspot".

War Machine is... a sci-fi thriller?! Rhodes pushes the boundaries of his own humanity, and investigates the theft of Stark Industries technology and uncovers a conspiracy "masterminded by an elusive organization" that provides criminals and terrorists with cybernetic enhancements. Thought of as a deep dive into the War Machine lore, it'd introduce his sister Jeanette, his girlfriend Glenda Sandoval, and Suzi Endo and Jake Oh. Parnell Jacobs and Stewart Clarke would be the villains. "Limiting factors" (read: might not happen) are the budget for such a show, and Cheadle's schedule.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:19 AM, Casey said:

Who wants some Far From Home (potential) spoilers? This was posted a week ago, and some of it seems to be true based off the FFH trailer. There's also some Endgame spoilers in there, too (the very first bullet point, actually). But, grain of salt, etc etc.

Hide contents
  • Tony Stark is dead.
  • There are four elemental monsters: sand, water, stone & lava.
  • Mysterio is the main villain.
  • Chameleon is the secondary villain.
  • Peter spends most of the movie in the SHIELD stealth suit, then switches to the black/red suit Tony made for him before dying.
  • Final fight is Spider-Man vs Mysterio.
  • Leading up to the final fight, Mysterio beats Spider-Man and compromises SHIELD.
  • Relationship between Peter & Fury is a big focus of the movie. Fury tries to be serious, but Peter constantly cracks jokes.
  • Mysterio uses Chitauri tech. Peter has to ask Vulture to help find him.
  • No helicarrier.
  • Peter is depressed and doesn't want to be Spider-Man anymore at first.
  • He realizes being an Avenger is about always "rebuilding" himself, like Tony always did.
  • Movie ends with Peter and Michelle back in NYC, in a relationship.
  • Beforehand, there's a love triangle between Peter, Michelle and new student Alistair Smythe. Also one between Ned, Flash and Betty.
  • Aunt May & Happy Hogan are dating.
  • JB Smoove's character is a tour guide/chaperone on the trip that keeps getting himself into dangerous situations.
  • Movie has a very comedic tone overall.

Iron Man started the MCU and the build towards Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame may result in Tony's death. Would Marvel Studios kill off Tony and Steve? Like Mysterio using Chitauri tech so that brings Vulture in. If Chameleon is in with Mysterio, Kraven's the big Spidey villain we've yet to see on the big screen. There's Scorpions in his proper getup though he was introduced in Spider-Man: Homecoming. Comedic tone needs to be judged right.

19 hours ago, Matt D said:

Has anyone summed up the rumors lately? 

Movies

Eternals

Nova

Black Widow

Young Avengers

Disney+

Loki

Vision/Scarlet Witch

Groot/Rocket Raccoon

Winter Soldier/Falcon

What am I missing?

Can't pass comment on Young Avengers as I've hardly read it. Wanted to see a Black Widow solo for a while. Interested in Loki's if it's set before/doesn't undo Avengers: Infinity War, Winter Soldier/Falcon and depends on what Vision/Scarlet Witch is on. Don't care about the Guardians of the Galaxy since they arrived but I'm in the minority there.

8 hours ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

That Falcon/Bucky plot sounds TREMENDOUS.  So much so that I'm wary of it being true.

It is easily the most interesting plot out of any of those which makes me think all the more it won't happen.

• Like 2

I went down the rabbit hole of Mackie/Stan pressers and comic con interaction compilations and I think if they can transition enough of the chemistry they have offscreen in to a show it will be the best of the bunch regardless of story. 

• Like 1

Empire putting Game of Thrones front and centre of that cover is disengenuous as hell. The article in there is half a page of text containing nothing but speculation.

2 hours ago, Ace said:

Marvel Comics has failed for decades in getting people to care about The Eternals.

I don't even care about the Eternals and I care about Stingray, Sabra, and Jolt.

Actually, I kind of care about Sersi, I guess, but that's it.

• Like 1