DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, Matt D said:

Still think she was near perfect casting.

... For the Janice Lincoln version of the Beetle. 

That's what I was hoping for. 

You could've even given Lady Beetle the ability to shrink by giving her access to the Cross version of the Pym Particle formula.

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, Mickie Zeidler said:

IDK, it seems like they're recycling a number of visual gags from the first movie, but I'll be there day one because of Paul Rudd.

Ant-Man was arguably the first Marvel Movie to benefit from a lighter tone, so I am glad that they're still keeping the not quite so serious feel of the first movie.

The only MCU movie that deliberately has to feel dark is IW because Thanos deserves that sort of treatment.

6 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ant-Man was arguably the first Marvel Movie to benefit from a lighter tone, so I am glad that they're still keeping the not quite so serious feel of the first movie.

Wouldn't that be Guardians of the Galaxy?

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wouldn't that be Guardians of the Galaxy?

Yep, you'd be correct by a couple of months as far as order of release date goes.

Anyway, yeah.  Ant-Man / Wasp does not need to have a super heavy tone, but I agree that the Pym Particle sight gags may eventually run their course if the films rely on them too much for moments of levity.

See, I liked Peyton Reed when he was doing his own stuff, but the press junket for Ant-Man turned me against him.  Just constantly shitting on the material, then acting like a big fan when it made a ton of money.  Guy's an asshole.

• 1 month later...

image_dlr_poster_final1.jpg

Speculation this may be Spider-Man's news suit for the Spider-Man sequel as the other characters sport their MCU look. It's a welcome return to Spider-Man's classic costume. Main differences between this and the red/blue suit by Tony Stark is a bigger spider on the chest, no black bands on the arms and change in webshooters.

21 hours ago, Casey said:

So, the big rumor right now is that one of the movies in Phase 4 is going to be based off the Eternals.

They need something Kirby Cosmic to go head to head with Ava Duvernay's New Gods joint.

The Ghaur / Dreaming Celestial storyline would be a decent plot for an Eternals movie.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:31 AM, The Natural said:

That's probably coming on the May, so that leaves August and November. It's possible Doctor Strange - which came out in November 2016 - could take the latter slot, so a prime summer release for Black Widow seems feasible. We'll just have to wait and see but the signs are all pointing to the character finally getting her due on the big screen in the very near future. 

Well if C. Robert Cargill (the screenplay writer for Dr. Strange) and Kevin Feige are not bullshitting us, the plan seems to be to put out a trilogy of Dr. Strange movies with Mordo being more of an anti-hero rather than a villain.

Director Scott Derrickson says that he is partial to doing something with Nightmare as the villain for Dr. Strange 2 with Mordo and Dr. Strange possibly teaming up reluctantly to combat a common foe.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, odessasteps said:

It's hard to get "bigger" after Dormammu, unless you go cosmic. Nightmare is probably a lateral move, just in a different direction. 

I like how they are keeping this Mordo multi-dimensional.  Mordo from the comics was a bit of a clod.

Movie Mordo sees himself as an enforcer of natural order and is against the causal proliferation of magic.

And I hate Nightmare as a villain.  Make Mine Shuma-Gorath.

Shuma_Gorath.jpg

50 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I like how they are keeping this Mordo multi-dimensional.  Mordo from the comics was a bit of a clod.

The problem with comics Mordo, if I remember correctly, was that his motivation was jealousy over Strange being a better sorcerer. Perfectly believable human motivation and all, but it's hard to be an arch-enemy when your basic concept centres on your being less powerful than the hero.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Its Salieri Syndrome. A well worn bad guy trope. 

Yes, the problem with Mordo from the comic books is that he simply existed to oppose Dr. Strange no matter what.  He had no real motivation or aspiration other than that.

• 3 weeks later...