DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

Since there are things starting to come out about the Post-Avengers: Infinity War movies.... this might as well get started. 

Fiege has said this is not necessarily "Phase IV" but "something else".... So when they call it Phase IV at Comic Con in July, I can get mad. 

• Like 1

I'm still holding out hope for a Defenders movie based on the DeMatteis run.

If Groot can be a breakout character, Marvel can damn well get Gargoyle and Devil Slayer plushies on the shelves in time for Christmas.

A Black Widow solo spy film. This needed to happen earlier.

Winter Soldier/Falcon, put them together with how they couldn't get along in Captain America: Civil War.

A film about a villain getting up to villainy things, Loki with his mischief?

Evans is the only one I know fits both those categories. But since we literally have two replacement Caps on deck (at least one of whom signed a reported 9 picture deal and has only done three so far...) I'm not too worried about that.

My biggest question moving forward is about Downey Jr. as Iron Man. He's been the driving force, not that the other films haven't been very successful but the only ones to cross the billion mark star him. The only ones the cross $300M domestic without Downey Jr. are the GOTG movies.   I think that's probably where they go moving forward. GOTG as a collective or through multiple spin-offs (Rocket & Groot,  Star-Lord, etc.) will be the new "A" listers with probably Holland as Spider-Man.  

They only (currently) have Spider-Man though the sequel to homecoming contractually.

But yeah there's a reason they give RDJ that insane godfather deal to get him to come back. As long as he wants to play Tony, they'll pay him basically whatever it takes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

A Black Widow solo spy film. This needed to happen earlier.

Winter Soldier/Falcon, put them together with how they couldn't get along in Captain America: Civil War.

A film about a villain getting up to villainy things, Loki with his mischief?

I think Black Widow is more likely to die in Infinity War, actually. She's been around since Iron Man 2, the emotional attachment to the character a lot of fans have would make for a meaningful death, I think. Besides that - I can't be the only one that just doesn't care about Black Widow, am I? I think they're more likely to do sequels and introduce new character franchises than spin-offs. I want them to expand the characters you mentioned in the franchises they belong to, not see them in their own movies. Loki, Winter Solider & Falcon are better as utility players than the main stars, in my opinion.

ScarJo can draw $400+ mil as an action lead (Lucy) and you could do a Black Widow film with a relatively low budget. It's such a no brainer it's weird they haven't done it yet honestly.

Falcon is pretty beloved in the MCU and either a great replacement Cap or a buddy comedy with Bucky replacing Cap.

So assuming they don't kill or replace Cap, the obvious choice is Hawkeye. Jeremy Renner isn't really a draw, Hawkeye isn't all that great or popular in the MCU take, and he's had like two 'last day on the force before retirement' films now.

That said, I'd really be pleased if they got through one of these without killing someone off.

23 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

ScarJo can draw $400+ mil as an action lead (Lucy) and you could do a Black Widow film with a relatively low budget. It's such a no brainer it's weird they haven't done it yet honestly.

Would GITS likely put her drawing ability into question with the suits?

23 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

Falcon is pretty beloved in the MCU and either a great replacement Cap or a buddy comedy with Bucky replacing Cap.

I vote buddy comedy with Bucky. The two seemed to have fun together when doing press.

Oh Cap totally dies either in Infinity War or a fourth Cap movie where the shield and suit are transferred to Bucky or Falcon. It really depends on Evans. I do think if someone dies Hawkeye is probably right choice.

48 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Would GITS likely put her drawing ability into question with the suits?

Sadly, because she's a woman, probably so.  But a male star could have a stinker like that and no one would bat an eye at giving him another big budget starring role.

I could see them not wanting to kill Widow, since she is the number 1 female MCU character (admittedly only ahead of  Gamora, Wanda, Sharon Carter and eventually Carol). 

Speaking of, will we be getting female only screenings of Carol's movie too? :>

Evans claims he didn't want to act again, and he only has one or two more films on his contract (I think one) so he's the most likely the big death.

They can't kill Hawkeye now after spending virtually all of AoU setting him up to die and swerving into Pietro.

5 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

That said, I'd really be pleased if they got through one of these without killing someone off.

They haven't killed off anyone major and if Thanos is going to be the monster heel he's been built up to be he needs to protected. Feed him a couple B or C-listers or maybe one major star. 

Infinity War will be Black Widow's 6th appearance on film. She's supposedly on a film-to-film contract unlike people like Evans or RDJ. If they haven't pulled the trigger on a solo film by now, and Carol Danvers' debut is fast approaching and will overtake Widow's status as the #1 female in the MCU... I can see it happening, for sure.

The more likely scenario is Chris Evans, but I feel like that's too obvious and everyone will expect it. But I remember a lot of people expecting him to die in Civil War, too, so...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 3:48 AM, Casey said:

I think Black Widow is more likely to die in Infinity War, actually. She's been around since Iron Man 2, the emotional attachment to the character a lot of fans have would make for a meaningful death, I think. Besides that - I can't be the only one that just doesn't care about Black Widow, am I? I think they're more likely to do sequels and introduce new character franchises than spin-offs. I want them to expand the characters you mentioned in the franchises they belong to, not see them in their own movies. Loki, Winter Solider & Falcon are better as utility players than the main stars, in my opinion.

I'd be miffed if Black Widow is killed as she's one of my favourite MCU characters and I'm a Scarlett Johansson fan.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:14 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

So assuming they don't kill or replace Cap, the obvious choice is Hawkeye. Jeremy Renner isn't really a draw, Hawkeye isn't all that great or popular in the MCU take, and he's had like two 'last day on the force before retirement' films now.

I like the Falcon and the banter between him and Bucky in the Captain America films. I don't give a shit about Hawkeye so I'm all for him taking the dirt nap.

On 6/11/2017 at 7:51 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Chris Evans has extended his contract by one movie, now officially signed for Avengers 4.

Yeah! Chris Evans' Captain Steven Rogers/Captain America is the MCU's best character. When the time comes, it's a hard act to follow but you have options in Bucky Cap' or Falcon Cap'. I'd go for Bucky Cap' myself with Barnes trying to make up for his acts as HYDRA's Winter Soldier.

• Like 1