DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT Tapings 05/25/17 (Airing 5/31-6/14/17)

RIPPA

Yeah, Ember Moon's injury is very unfortunate timing for her because she had a window between when the 4 Horsewomen left and the influx of ladies for the Mae Young tourney that she could really cement her place in NXT. But now we're moving on to Nikki and Ruby and then Kairi and Io and so on and so on. I'm not saying she can't come back, but it's about to be a crowded division and it'll be harder to get noticed.

(This post void if they go ahead with a women's only show)

In theory the injuries could be the foundation of a great comeback story, but I don't know if Ember Moon has ever been a strong enough personality for them to properly tell it. Her gimmick is ill defined and her segments where she lamented missing matches because of the injuries were a little too scripted feeling to really connect it seems. 

I enjoyed Ohno/Black just as much on the tv show than live. Best match from both guys on NXT so far. They even got the dead crowd going at the end. The Asuka/Nikki match totally killed the crowd as a lot of people left after that. Next tapings on Friday should be good with Asuka/Nikki Last woman standing and Roode/Strong. I'm hoping for at least 1 title change to shake things up a little bit.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2017 at 1:01 AM, Godfrey said:

Yeah, Ember Moon's injury is very unfortunate timing for her because she had a window between when the 4 Horsewomen left and the influx of ladies for the Mae Young tourney that she could really cement her place in NXT. But now we're moving on to Nikki and Ruby and then Kairi and Io and so on and so on. I'm not saying she can't come back, but it's about to be a crowded division and it'll be harder to get noticed.

(This post void if they go ahead with a women's only show)

I've just assumed Nikki and Ruby are timewasters to put off Ember's rematch till Summerslam.

Agreed, both matches were pretty good.  Sonya especially looked a lot better than last time we saw her.  And Black/Ohno wasn't the wild strikefest you'd think it would be but it was still a damn great TV main event.

• Like 1

I'm still confused about the lightsaber battle at the beginning of Sonya Deville's entrance music, but I really like they way her repackaging is coming along.  "Now you messed up! *takes glove off, wails away*"

Ohno and Black was a main event in any arena (/gorilla).  I liked that Ohno, a guy who they mentioned helped train Black, tried to get an advantage by playing into his main weakness: when he loses his cool, he gets sloppy.  So Ohno did the cross legged sit down in the middle of the ring and stared Black down, he talked trash to him at points.  I loved the finish too, with both guys going for the final strike but a leg happens to be longer than a crooked elbow.  Damn good stuff.

• Like 2

Their is a brief video up on the WWE Youtube page of Itami trolling Ohno after the match - so that officially becomes the only Brooklyn match I will care about

Ohno vs Black was really good. The writing team needs to step up and give Black some direction because he could be a big star for NXT. I really hate MMA gimmicks in wrestling, but I'm trying to give Sonya a chance. I can see some potential there, but I'm not a big fan of "oh this girl has some real training unlike the fake fighters at our Performance Center so she's going to kill them" stuff. Why wouldn't every wrestler just leave the PC and train MMA? Peyton had some over the top expressions while selling, but it was a strong performance from her.

I think the MMA stuff works if they really make it seem like different skill sets. All it takes is someone hitting her with a missile dropkick and Mauro yelling "You don't see that in the octogon! Mama Mia!" and she's on even footing again.