DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT Tapings 05/25/17 (Airing 5/31-6/14/17)

RIPPA

I also have to cast doubt on the idea that there would even be a year-long angle built up in NXT at this point - most of the featured performers on NXT always seem like they are on the verge of being called up. Imagine the writers building up a year-long angle only for one of the workers to get called up six months in.

ETA: I think if NXT wasn't so short on over faces, we would be seeing Gargano and Ciampa on 205Live every week by now.

9 hours ago, FireThunder said:

i was highly entertained by that Bobby Roode promo.  Whatta dick!

"What do you wanna do out there, Hideo?"  "... we can slap ten shades of dog shit out of each other."  "Cool, see you out there!"  God, that was a stiff match.

"You're winning matches!......finally!"  That may have been Roode's best mic work in a long time.  The fake crying was lame but everything else cut right to the bone.  I'm sure Strong was playing up that he was mad, but he really did look like he was pretty mad.

Hideo/Oney beating the shit out of each other was nuts.  And if they weren't, that was incredible selling.  Especially by Hideo who looked like he wasn't bracing himself at all when he bumped.  He was just going to land where he landed.

• Like 2

Reading the spoilers I was prepared for a brutal match between Hideo and Lorcan and holy crap did they deliver.  Lorcan holding him while slapping then doing the nasty uppercuts in particular was brutal.  I'm hoping for a name change at least but even if everything else is the same I'd strap a rocket to the guy in NXT and see how far he goes.

• Like 1

I think he could very easily be the next Sami/Dillinger beloved underdog for NXT if they keep letting him have these stiff fests, but I just don't see a place for him on the main roster at all.

Oney is probably the best tv match worker in NXT right now. I think he may have a higher ceiling as one half of a tag team. NXT has a big void on the face side of their tag division. Maybe they could pair him up with Lars Sullivan who I see as a guy who should be getting a push. I don't know where Lars is as a worker, but he has great presence and looks comfortable in the ring.

Dug the AoP squash.

I dug Clarke more here than I did than I did his Takeover debut.

Thought the women's triple threat was better than the Takeover Chicago match. The aftermath brawl between Asuka & Cross was cool with some nice moments where the two got extra vicious. I'm wondering what the plan for a blow-off match is. A cage match seems perfect as an attempt to keep things more contained.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Thought the women's triple threat was better than the Takeover Chicago match. The aftermath brawl between Asuka & Cross was cool with some nice moments where the two got extra vicious. I'm wondering what the plan for a blow-off match is. A cage match seems perfect as an attempt to keep things more contained.

I agree. I definitely liked this match more than the Takeover match and really enjoyed the brawl portion. Asuka repeatedly slamming Nikki's head into the steel door was particularly nasty. 

I don't know if they were at the end of the taping schedule, but this crowd seemed pretty worn out and dead.

Mendoza/Clarke was fun with Mendoza getting some flashy stuff in and Clarke getting to be aggressive. I think that gimmick has potential to get over at NXT eventually, maybe even as a face, main roster...eh.

AoP squash was fine, the stare down with HM was a little too clichéd, but it's standard build-up stuff so it was fine. 

3 way just seemed a little disjointed and the finish was a bit lame. Some good portions in the backstage brawling but a lot of it felt meandering and doing a lot of walking around to the next spot ECW-style. Of course the sick old-school fan in me wants them to do a blood soaked cage match as that would be amazing, but I am interested to see where it goes between Asuka and Cross from here.

I liked Asuka/Cross more for the storytelling than the actual match.  I like that Asuka finally looked vulnerable after pretty much killing everyone for the last year.  I have WAY more interest in a Cross rematch now than the inevitable Ember Moon rematch.

• Like 2

Yeah, Ember Moon's injury is very unfortunate timing for her because she had a window between when the 4 Horsewomen left and the influx of ladies for the Mae Young tourney that she could really cement her place in NXT. But now we're moving on to Nikki and Ruby and then Kairi and Io and so on and so on. I'm not saying she can't come back, but it's about to be a crowded division and it'll be harder to get noticed.

(This post void if they go ahead with a women's only show)