DVDVR Message Board

[SPOILERS] NXT Tapings 05/25/17 (Airing 5/31-6/14/17)

RIPPA

Per WON

Spoiler

Dark matches --
- Jeet Rama defeated Chris Silvio

The crowd loved Rama. He won in a quick match.

- Tyler Bate defeated Steve Cutler

Bate connected with the Tyler Driver '97 to end this one.

- TakeOver video packages were shown.

NXT TV taping spoilers --
- Tommaso Ciampa opens the show on crutches for a promo. He called out Johnny Gargano, who isn't here tonight. Ciampa cut a long, passionate promo about how he knew he was injured going into TakeOver and he knew Gargano would have replaced him, so if he was going away then Gargano was too.

He blamed the people because he did it for them. He made sure to say TakeOver: Chicago was his moment. He finished by saying that when he returns he will be the most dangerous son of a bitch we've ever seen and he is professional wrestling whether we like it or not.

- WWE United Kingdom Champion Pete Dunne defeated Danny Burch

They had a hard-hitting match. The crowd was behind Dunne, though they bit on all of Burch's near fall attempts. Dunne hit his finish to win in a good match. He talked down Tyler Bate as "some boy" who had been holding a title that belonged to him.

- Cezar Bononi defeated Andrade "Cien" Almas

A roll-up pinned Almas, who was again telling his partied out story as Thea Trinidad was ringside for the match.

- Heavy Machinery defeated an enhancement wrestler & Lars Sullivan (the former Dylan Miley)

The enhancement wrestler had "Andrews" on his trunks. Machinery pinned the smaller Andrews, then Sullivan blamed him for the loss and destroyed him.

- Peyton Royce (w/ Billie Kay) defeated Sarah Logan

Sarah Logan is Crazy Mary Dobson's new NXT name.

- Hideo Itami and Oney Lorcan went to a no contest

These two had a hard-hitting match that didn't have a finish. Itami hit three Go to Sleeps and was going for a fourth when Kassius Ohno made the save and shoved him down. The crowd was booing Itami a lot by the end.

- Killian Dain (w/ SAnitY) defeated No Way Jose

Dain had new music and won with the One Winged Angel.

- Roderick Strong was out for a promo about his life. Bobby Roode interrupted him and was fake crying with a handkerchief. He ran down Strong in every way on the mic and left.

- Drew McIntyre defeated enhancement talent Rob Ryzin

McIntyre won fast with a Claymore Kick.

- Ember Moon defeated Peyton Royce (w/ Billie Kay)

This was a very good match. Royce looked good in defeat and hit some new offense, including a Widow's Peak. Moon fought off double team attempts and finally hit The Eclipse to win it.

- NXT Tag Team Champions The Authors of Pain defeated two enhancement talents

Paul Ellering cut a promo after the match about how Heavy Machinery won't even be a footnote in their next chapter. Heavy Machinery came out to confront them, with the AOP backing down.

- Velveteen Dream defeated Raul Mendoza

Mendoza participated in the Cruiserweight Classic last year. Velveteen Dream won with his flying elbow drop.

- NXT Women's Champion Asuka went to a no contest with Nikki Cross and Ruby Riot in a triple threat elimination match

There was action all over the place in this match. Riot connected with a double dropkick to the outside on both of her opponents. Cross later eliminated Riot with a swinging neckbreaker. The crowd woke up big time when it was Asuka against Cross. They brawled to the outside and the referee ruled it a no contest.

They were shown on the screen fighting out back before going around to the other side of the venue, where they fell through a production table.

- Eric Young & Alexander Wolfe defeated The Ealy Brothers

Young got the pin.

- Sonya Deville defeated Rachael Evers

Deville submitted Evers with a guillotine.

- Aleister Black defeated Kassius Ohno

They had an excellent match, doing everything that you could imagine from them. The crowd didn't want to pick a side. Black hit the Black Mass to end it before they embraced after the match.

Per PWI

Spoiler

Dark matches:

- Jeet Rama def. Chris Silvio

- Tyler Bate def. Steve Cutler 

Week 1

- Tomasso Ciampa walks out on crutches. He recaps the events of Chicago and his injury before the event. He says Johnny Gargano wouldn't hesitate to replace him. If Ciampa was going to miss time, he'd make sure Gargano misses time. He's not an afterthought.  He notes that he is injured, but that when he comes back, he'll be the most dangerous man in wrestling

- Pete Dunne def. Danny Burch

Post match: Dunne says everything in the UK really started when its owned by the Bruiserweight. 

- Cezar Bononi def. Andrade Almas

- Roderick Strong and Kassius Ohno dev. Sanity (Wolfe and Young). No Way Jose returned to neutralize Dain

Week 2

- Heavy Machinery def. Lars Sullivan and an unnamed partner. Lars beats his partner up after the match 

-Peyton Royce (w/Billie Kay) def Sarah Logan  (aka the former Crazy Mary Dobson)

- Hideo Itami vs. Oney Lorcan has no decision. Itami keeps hitting the GTS until Kassius Ohno comes out to confront him. They shove each other and then Hideo leaves.

- Killian Dain def. No Way Jose

- Roderick Strong comes out and says he opened up about his life and thanks the fans for accepting him. He says it's no longer Roddy  vs the world, but Roddy, Marina, and Troy vs the world. He's never been more driven to be NXT champion. Bobby Roode comes out and insults Strong's family  He says opportunities are earned and Strong isn't good enough.

- Drew McIntyre def. Rob Ryzin

Week 3

- Ember Moon returned from injury, defeating Peyton Royce 

- The Authors of Pain win a squash

Post match: Paul Ellering calls Heavy Machinery as foolish as they are large. He says AOP has been undefeated for a year. Heavy Machinery comes out and gets in AOP's face. AOP walks away.

- The Velveteen Dream def. Raul Mendoza

- NXT Women's Championship Triple Threat Elimination match ends in a no contest. Nikki Cross eliminates Ruby Riot. Asuka and Nikki battle outside of the building

- Sanity (Wolfe and Young) def. The Ealy Brothers 

- Sonya Deville def. Rachael Evers (Ellering)

- Aleister Black def. Kassius Ohno 

Notes:

- During Week 2, Sanity and Killian Dain came out to new music. In Week 3, they were back to the original theme.

- Speaking of themes, there was new NXT music for the opening, but reverted back to the current theme as the tapings went on.

- Tickets for the Mae Young Classic were put on sale for the Full Sail crowd after the taping, ahead of Friday's on sale.

- Seating for the Mae Young Classic will be set up like a regular NXT show. It is NOT the same layout as the Cruiserweight Classic.

- There was no Bobby Roode championship celebration filmed for the audience, so it will likely be a pretape. 

- As always, some of these matches may air out of order or even used as dark matches. 

Spoiler boxes used due to size of each text block

I like what I'm reading about Ciampa's turn. Also looking forward the TakeOver Chicago rematch for the women's belt. It sounds much better and like we will finally see things boiled down to Nikki vs. Asuka. I assume Ember still gets the big Takeover match match with Asuka later.

My three takeaways from the spoilers:

1. Ember is cleared to wrestle, so unless she does the Florida loop we get her in Bel Air after all.  Awesome!

2. Itami and Orcan beating the snot out of each other with Itami being heel just has to be good.  I'm pleased they're giving us heel Itami and hope this is as wonderful as I imagine it'll be.

3. Black vs. Ohno in a very good match?  Ooh, fuck that sounds like it's going to be tremendous.

16 minutes ago, Cleavy said:

maybe I'm missing something here, but...

Reveal hidden contents

how can a triple threat elimination match end up in a no-contest, when they're no DQ and no countout?

Spoiler

BecAuse the elimination stip adds a DQ/NC stip into the mix  Easy cop-out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cleavy said:

maybe I'm missing something here, but...

Hide contents

how can a triple threat elimination match end up in a no-contest, when they're no DQ and no countout?

Pro wrestling is a lot more enjoyable if you don't try to apply unnecessary concepts like logic.

• Like 6

I feel like Ciampa really fumbled his promo.  Like, we're talking a "Matt Hardy shoots on Edge and Lita" caliber dropping of the ball.  A rambling mess that clearly had to be edited into something watchable.  Probably a good thing he's going away for a while.  Maybe he can get a mulligan when he comes back.

I feel like Ciampa didn't really convey his emotions properly, which can work, but not if you've waited almost 2 weeks after the incident. The rest of the show was pretty good. The roster is really stacked but I'm not sure how they're going to get people ready for the main roster.

That and when it's time to do the Gargano/Ciampa feud the highlight videos will only shows selected soundbytes anyway so we won't see him go all over the place.  By then it'd be a moot point.

The DIY turn really needed a killer promo from Ciampa to make it work for me. Ciampa just turned on him from out of nowhere. They didn't build to the turn. The turn was the start of the story. Why did Ciampa turn? 

He made it into this "you wanted him to replace me" thing. It could have been great if he came off as a paranoid maniac like Eddie when he broke up with Rey. But Ciampa doesn't have anywhere near those chops. It could have been a simpler "Every match we lost is because of you and I'm sick of carrying you around" thing -- Gargano tapped against The Revival, and it's a great heel lie to blame your partner for losing in a ladder match. He could have maybe carried that.

I think DIY are pretty maddening. They've had some really great matches. But they can't talk for anything. Any sort of acting they have to do in-ring -- selling emotion to the audience -- is ham-fisted.

They're great at executing their spots. They're always crisp and the like. But just communicating emotions through facial expressions and physical gesturing and pantomime isn't what they're good at.

Yeah, the whole thing reeked of them executing the turn, then having no idea what to do once they did it.  I agree with Gregg, this should have been a simple quick "less is more" promo with one bullet point and then get out.  But he was all over the place saying a bunch of stuff that just felt like even he didn't know why he turned.  If you don't sound like you believe your own actions, I sure as hell am not going to.

And while I think the feud could still be great, I can't help but think Ciampa is going to flounder against pretty much anybody else.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

The DIY turn really needed a killer promo from Ciampa to make it work for me. Ciampa just turned on him from out of nowhere. They didn't build to the turn. The turn was the start of the story. Why did Ciampa turn? 

They've been teasing the turn seemingly forever, at the very least since their CWC match. You can argue motivations, but to say it was out of nowhere is flat out wrong.

Yeah, that dropped huge hints of if literally a year ago. I'm not following this "it was out of nowhere" line of thought.

He was kinda all over the map in the promo. I like the central idea of paranoia about being replaced, but he danced around it quite badly for awhile before kinda sorta hitting it.

I just the eventual match is as violent as the angle was, and not just a wrestling match.

• Like 1

Count me in for not digging the turn out of nowhere reasoning. Like Brian said, there were more than a few hints of Ciampa eventually turning. His paranoia over being replaced could have been the catalyst for it, in that all of the other elements were there, it just needed that spark. 

As bad as the promo was they might be able to cover it up by saying he was still processing everything and almost can't believe he did that.  Even when beating up Johnny he had moments of "Fuck, am I really doing this?"  In real life some people can have moments like this, whether it's breaking up with a friend or a loved one.  If they spin it like that they might have a chance to salvage this.  If not then it's just a bad promo that they'll hope people will forget.

And I'm not going to harp on the whole "Dude, whatddya mean outta nowhere?" mentality here since everybody else has it covered.  Instead if you want to see key moments check their Takeover tag title matches.  Then look up their match in the CWC and especially the post-match.  That should be a solid start to show how they've been building to this.

I think Gregg and I were the ones bringing up it being out of nowhere, but as Craig said, it was the spark.  There were hints and teases of dissension, but until they lost and it dawned on him he was going away and was about to replaced, he had no intentions of turning on him.  Not speaking for Gregg, but at least that's what I mean by "last second decision".  I think not necessarily having the best, most well thought out explanation and instead being kind of rambling and even contradictory works given that.  To me, it seemed more natural and real.

• Like 2

Right, because while it was teased for so long after a certain point they put it behind them and all you saw was them being super close.  From being a best man at a wedding, to the Gloriousbomb videos, to their public displays of really digging each other.   All that was them forging a brotherly bond, and in the process put the fans in a sense of security where no way would they have a rough patch like they did before.  But at Takeover with the injury and everything Ciampa thought back to the past and snapped.

Granted, this is my interpretation of it and I'm filling in the apparent logic holes.  Might be unnecessary to do that, but it works for me.

I think the truth is that they intended to split them much sooner and there was never a long-term angle planned. Then they realized how weird it would be to have a tag team division without a face team.