DVDVR Message Board

Question regarding Steam Link

So admittedly I am kind of a dinosaur when it comes to Steam. I've always hated playing games with a keyboard and mouse. My nephew told me about the Steam Link after I grumbled about having to buy a PS4 just to play the new Fire Pro. What I'm wondering is do Steam games accept mods? Say if I were to download Fallout New Vegas via Steam, and had the Link, would I be able to install mods on it and still play it on my TV via the controller? And for anyone that's used it, how is the controller to use? I'm talking size wise, how easy is it to program, etc?

As far as I know using it through the Link should not affect modding whatsoever. It's basically just routing your existing Steam account to your TV. Anything that has a Steam Workshop access on your PC should have the same on the Link.

If you're getting mods off a site like Nexus, there should be a "install non Steam software" Nexus Mod Manager for that.

I haven't used the controller so can't comment on its comfort.

Steam Link is basically just a streamer between your PC and a TV, so it's using your PC for everything, including running it.  So as long as the Steam launcher will also kick in the mods (which for the most part, is anything in your game's MODS folder), it'll run it.  So yeah, stuff like Skyrim, Fallout, and whatever that auto loads the mods in, or as long as you have the proper mod launcher commands in the "launch with" properties in Stream, you're good.

The Steam controller is really weird. I get what they were going for, but it's tough to compete with a Dual Shock or an Xbox controller.

As for the Steam Link, everything Raziel said is correct, but I want to add that you need a good machine to make sure you have as few hiccups as possible with streaming. You don't need to best computer to do it, but it helps to have something pushing enough power. And even then, the Steam Link has various issues depending on your video card, CPU, or the rest of your setup. I borrowed a friend's Steam Link because he thought it was a waste of money. His computer had a newer AMD chip and a newer Radeon GPU. My computer has a 1st gen (I think) core i5 and a GTX 560 Ti. Despite my computer being significantly older than his, my computer was able to stream content to the Steam Link better.

It also helps if your computer and the Steam Link are both connected to the internet with an ethernet cable as opposed to wifi.

The issue with the Steam Controller is that they had to find some sort of configurable middle ground for playing PC games with a controller - and a lot of them don't support controllers in any way.  As usual, a good compromise leaves everyone angry.

And yeah, I wouldn't even try streaming on the Steam Link if you're not on Ethernet.

Yes you can, with both standard Steam and Steam Link.  I don't know if Steam Link has the same little bug that has the right stick and dpad working wonky on some games.

20 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Can I use an xbox controller to play Steam games?

Yes, that's what I do. I have the wireless 360 controller.