DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA Finals Thread(Also, a Semi-final, but whatever.)

Ryan

20 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not expecting Cleveland to outplay them at this point, I'm thinking Cleveland will hit a bunch of threes and the Warriors will miss some open shots.  

They missed open shots in this game and had 20 turnovers on some really bad passes. 

If they don't shut down Durant and Curry and stop the Warriors from getting second chance shots, it won't matter how many threes they hit. Trying to flip the math work is a bit illogical. Golden State has made JR, Korver, Deron Williams, Shumpert, and Tristan Thompson complete nonfactors. On the offensive side, they are making them hit really tough shots. Korver started this game 0-3 from behind the arc before he hit his first one. LeBron is trying his best to get them involved and does at many points but as soon as Cleveland gets within striking distance, Golden State lights them up again because the defense is so horrendous. Even when they do play good defense, Curry is pulling up and hitting 28 footers and Durant is making circus shots. 

They just have a multitude of problems, and I have no clue how they fix most of them by Wednesday or Friday.

I will reserve judgment on the demise of the Cavs until the Warriors are up three wins and are leading by fifteen points or more in the closing minutes of the deciding game.

I give the Cavs a 2.18% chance of winning the series. This is based on nothing. It just sounds like a low enough number to piss someone off.

I haven't watched a complete game yet partly because, as I said all season, if this incarnation of the Warriors is healthy, they shouldn't lose any series this season. I'm definitely rooting for the Cavs to win it but I'm not blind and I've seen the Cavs defense against lesser teams. Not good enough.

I will tune into game 3 because if the Cavs reserves(and TT/JR) are ever going to play above their averages it's likely going to be a home game. Also, refs are human and I think the refs are more likely to favor the home team especially if the home team plays with energy their 1st game back. Take all the advantages you can get at this point. Warriors should still win though. Just hopefully in more entertaining fashion.

20 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

I haven't watched a complete game yet partly because, as I said all season, if this incarnation of the Warriors is healthy, they shouldn't lose any series this season. I'm definitely rooting for the Cavs to win it but I'm not blind and I've seen the Cavs defense against lesser teams. Not good enough.

I will tune into game 3 because if the Cavs reserves(and TT/JR) are ever going to play above their averages it's likely going to be a home game. Also, refs are human and I think the refs are more likely to favor the home team especially if the home team plays with energy their 1st game back. Take all the advantages you can get at this point. Warriors should still win though. Just hopefully in more entertaining fashion.

Wait..the absolutely insane circus shots in the 3rd and 4th quarter last night wasn't enough? Steph hit like two threes from damn near half court.

I don't know if that will necessarily be entertaining because GSW lets them come back within 1 and then all of sudden, up by 12 or 13 four minutes later. They've done that in every series in just about every game except for the ones that are blowouts from the start.

Minus the Kawhi Leonard injury game, which was an entertaining comeback imo for a bit in the 4th.

I just like to see this Warriors team in a close 4th quarter game against a healthy opponent with legit offensive weapons. The Cavs in Game 3 will likely be the best chance so far to see the Warriors face a little adversary near the end of a playoff game.

The thing about this, the Cavs are a really great team. Not got on defense, but a legit all-time great offense that won ten straight playoff games this year (and a just broken record of 13 straight dating back to last year), went 12-1 in the East (which while not a terribly tough conference is still better than all but a handful of teams have ever done) to get here, and scored at a frankly incomprehensible rate 120+ points per 100 possessions. I honestly think they'd take the Rockets or Spurs in six, max.

Golden State just happens to be the best collection of in prime talent the NBA has seen, at least in the modern era if not ever. 6 of the 9 best players in this series are Warriors. Unless injuries, foul trouble, or just surprising lousy play, or likely a combination of those, occur, the Warriors aren't going to drop a game.

But... We are basically where we were last year. It looks even more impossible than it did last year, but maybe stranger things have happened? Maybe?

• Like 2

If Cleveland wants to get back in this series, it has to be all hands on deck offensively and defensively. It can't be LeBron + Kyrie like GM1 or LeBron + Love in GM2. They can beat virtually everyone with just LeBron plus anyone else but not Golden State. Golden State is getting everyone involved, and the Cavs are so worried about getting out on Durant and Curry that it makes it that much harder for stop them. If you're going to let David West, Livingston, and Igoudala get easy shots off beautiful passes from Durant and Curry, they will take that because you will have to stop double teaming Durant and Curry as a result.

Hell, Klay might as well drive to the basket because it ain't a soul on him.

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I like the Warriors, but I also really want to see what the internet would do if they blew back-to-back 3-1 leads.

A LeBron victory would make Skip Bayless very sad and that would make me extremely happy.

Thanks to all the suckers obsessing over a game where we all know the end result in advance I was able to get a ticket for Iron Maiden on Wednesday for $15 on SeatGeek.

• Like 6

I said Cleveland had to be perfect to win these games and for oh 46 minutes they were there with the one exception..  Kevin Love did some things on the boards but 1-9 is not going to do it. He missed so many open shots.  LeBron and Kyrie can play this well and last year it probably would have been enough but they need a 3rd guy and they haven't had it. 

My conspiracy theory: Robyn Fenty is the great great granddaughter of Mackandal and Cecile Fatiman, cut open the throat of a pig, and put roots on the Cleveland Cavaliers prior to Game 1.

I refuse to believe anything else.

• Like 1