DVDVR Message Board

2017 NBA Finals Thread(Also, a Semi-final, but whatever.)

Ryan

If there's any knock on these Warriors, it's that the union of Durant and the Warriors was consummated out of a mutual pity party both had over blowing 3-1 leads in last year's playoffs. I would've liked to have been a fly on the wall for the actual pitch to hear how much of it was "fuck Westbrook, he's holding you back" and how much was "let's fuck LeBron over." 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The NBA and the other franchises don't only care about the finals. They need people to care about the regular season and most importantly their own teams. 

Are you on freebase? Because we can get you the help you need.

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yawn.  The Raptors are already thinking about blowing up their team. 

I think the NBA will survive the Raptors imploding. Drake will just follow one of the other 15 teams he roots for.

5 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

If there's any knock on these Warriors, it's that the union of Durant and the Warriors was consummated out of a mutual pity party

You do know that the Heat thing imploded and the Cavs weren't going to win jackshit without a bonafied top player? LeBron wrote a letter and sent it out for everyone to read.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think the NBA will survive the Raptors imploding. Drake will just follow one of the other 15 teams he roots for.

Maybe so but they do have very good attendance. The logic is why overpay for a couple stars when you are competing against all-star teams. 

Just now, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe so

MAYBE SO

MAYBE SO

IT'S THE FUCKING TORONTO RAPTORS. IF DRAKE DIDN'T MENTION THE RAPTORS (REALLY LOU WILLIAMS BECAUSE HE WAS ON THE TEAM AT THAT TIME AND FUCKING HIS TWO GIRLFRIENDS) NO ONE IN THE LOWER 48 WOULD GIVE A SINGLE SHIT ABOUT THE RAPTORS!

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You do know that the Heat thing imploded and the Cavs weren't going to win jackshit without a bonafied top player? LeBron wrote a letter and sent it out for everyone to read.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with super teams, however they're formed. Also nobody's made the point yet that the Mavs team LeBron originally failed to get the Heat over in the Finals weren't anything close to defending NBA Champs.

2 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

To be clear, I don't have a problem with super teams, however they're formed. Also nobody's made the point yet that the Mavs team LeBron originally failed to get the Heat over in the Finals weren't anything close to defending NBA Champs.

The reason I left Houston and Dallas (and the Sixers team that won a title) out was because they were outliers. With the Rockets teams in the mid 90s (as good as they were) and certainly the Mavs, they were transitional champions. That 2011 Mavs team was just keeping the trophy warm for the Heat.  The whole point being that a ton of teams don't have a legitimate chance to win a title in any given year. You could make an argument that the league was more competitive underneath except...those teams didn't beat the team that ending up being champion. This whole integrity of the game argument doesn't work simply because no one gives a damn. It isn't adversely affecting the game one bit. You're going to complain....and continue to watch. So why even bother?

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

Butthurt that Durant followed the template laid out by Wilt Chamberlain, Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and LeBron himself is not a good look for you, Counselor. 

At least those assholes waited until late in their career for mercenary ring hunting. They at least tried to win for themselves in their prime.

and LeBron going to Miami was more like Garnett and Allen going to Boston than Durant to Golden State. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

At least those assholes waited until late in their career for mercenary ring hunting. 

James Harden and Dwight Howard went "ring hunting" in Houston in their primes.... only to just embarrass themselves on multiple occasions in a new zip code.

Well, this was fast...

The Warriors have unanimously declined the White House invitation to celebrate their title. 

http://www.ajc.com/sports/warriors-unanimously-decline-white-house-visit-per-reports/i7uecqAhFfD8e2pj8KAqKK/

Shields up for incoming hot takes from the usual sources.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, this was fast...

The Warriors have unanimously declined the White House invitation to celebrate their title. 

http://www.ajc.com/sports/warriors-unanimously-decline-white-house-visit-per-reports/i7uecqAhFfD8e2pj8KAqKK/

Shields up for incoming hot takes from the usual sources.

Yeah, this will be happening for the next three years at least.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

MAYBE SO

MAYBE SO

IT'S THE FUCKING TORONTO RAPTORS. IF DRAKE DIDN'T MENTION THE RAPTORS (REALLY LOU WILLIAMS BECAUSE HE WAS ON THE TEAM AT THAT TIME AND FUCKING HIS TWO GIRLFRIENDS) NO ONE IN THE LOWER 48 WOULD GIVE A SINGLE SHIT ABOUT THE RAPTORS!

To be fair, Lilly Singh lives in LA now, so there's one.

Sounds like the sources on the White House snub story are iffy.  Which doesn't mean it won't still end up happening.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/13/will-the-warriors-give-trump-a-cold-shoulder/

The headlines were everywhere, with this “report” quoting this other ”report” about the team’s decision. None included quotes or attribution. Contacted by this news organization Tuesday morning, the Warriors issued a statement: “We have not been invited to the White House. Today is all about celebrating our championship. We will make those decisions when and if necessary.”

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

James Harden and Dwight Howard went "ring hunting" in Houston in their primes.... only to just embarrass themselves on multiple occasions in a new zip code.

Big 2 ain't nothing on a big 3. Much less a big 4. And it might have worked! 

40 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Big 2 ain't nothing on a big 3. Much less a big 4. And it might have worked! 

Yeah, I don't think you can establish degrees of "ring hunting". Everyone is trying to end up with the same exact outcome. The person cheating on a test who only copied the first few answers and failed can't get mad at the person who passed by copying the entire test. Copying only a few answers doesn't make it meritorious.  

Okay, all the free agent talk can all go in the off-season thread.  

Congrats Dubs, your genius move of having Steph Curry be hurt during a contract year paid off again. 

Here's Drake to close the season. 

anigif_enhanced-26781-1414176510-2.gif?d

• Like 3