DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules IX

Dolfan in NYC

51 minutes ago, CastleVania Rey said:

I bet Bayley wishes she was still in NXT.

Congrats to Samoa Joe, who I was rooting for.

FIFY

• Like 2

I dug Dean/Miz and the latter half of the main event.

Bayley/Bliss was meh but unsurprising. The build and story was crap in the first place so I never expected much. Pretty much knew Bayley was screwed the second Bliss won the the no. 1 contendership.

Enjoyed parts of the cage match though it would have been better with the normal pinfall/submission stips.

I'm just happy Joe won. He was really the only guy in this aside from Reigns who I was interested in seeing face Brock.

• Like 1

Going back to NXT isn't going to help Bayley.  You will all have to make due.  Hopefully, things will balance out.  

But it makes you wonder if some of the guys who thrive on NXT can still make it on the main roster.  As much as I like Roode on NXT, I'm concerned what the story will be for him after he moves up.

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Yes because going to NXT did wonders for Emma's career

Ahem, just for the record, Emma is not, was not, and never will be the phenom that Bayley was in NXT. Apples and durian as it were. 

• Like 1

NXT did wonders at hiding the fact it took Bayley years to get over and even then Izzy (who was in B'More for the show) was a good part in why she got over. 

That main event was awesome for how they continued to build up Finn. I figure we're gonna get Finn/Joe at SummerSlam. Did the crowd chant anything other than "Let's Go Roman/Roman Sucks"?

• Like 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

Going back to NXT isn't going to help Bayley.  You will all have to make due.  Hopefully, things will balance out.  

But it makes you wonder if some of the guys who thrive on NXT can still make it on the main roster.  As much as I like Roode on NXT, I'm concerned what the story will be for him after he moves up.

You're partly correct, going back to NXT in and of itself will not help Bayley. Writers who understand the character and can book her well will make the difference. Sadly, she ain't getting that on the big stage, she is easily the most star-powered female wrestler since Wendi Richter. I'm not saying that she's the best, because she isn't. but she IS damn good and connects big-time with all sectors of the audience. By that token alone, she's worth a million Alexa Blisses.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Brysynner said:

NXT did wonders at hiding the fact it took Bayley years to get over and even then Izzy (who was in B'More for the show) was a good part in why she got over. 

That main event was awesome for how they continued to build up Finn. I figure we're gonna get Finn/Joe at SummerSlam. Did the crowd chant anything other than "Let's Go Roman/Roman Sucks"?

Revisionist flapdoodle. Izzy was such a minor factor in Bayley being over that you might as well credit Hat Guy for Eddy and Malenko getting over in ECW. 

• Like 9

Just now, OSJ said:

Revisionist flapdoodle. Izzy was such a minor factor in Bayley being over that you might as well credit Hat Guy for Eddy and Malenko getting over in ECW. 

Yeah, I would agree it's hot garbage to say she only got over because of Izzy.  I recall people going gaga over for the whole hugging thing alone.  Also the time she mimicked Balor's entrance.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Izzy was shown as the unnamed Bayley super fan for months as they tried to build Bayley up as the girl who was a big wrestling fan growing up inspired by Lita and now she's inspiring little girls. Without Izzy they don't have that narrative. 

Then Bayley spent a lot of time losing to Charlotte and Sasha and Becky. Then after about a year she finally wins the big one against Sasha, has a lackluster reign for 7 months till Asuka chokes her out, gets "injured" by Nia Jax and her last thing of note in NXT is getting her head kicked in by Asuka.

Bayley was built up by constantly losing the big one only beating Charlotte and Sasha after they had been called up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

@Smelly McUgly

Are you ready to concede?

Funny, but I just heard about her segment with Alexa Bliss last Monday and remembered this bet. I was ready to concede then, tbh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brysynner said:

Izzy was shown as the unnamed Bayley super fan for months as they tried to build Bayley up as the girl who was a big wrestling fan growing up inspired by Lita and now she's inspiring little girls. Without Izzy they don't have that narrative. 

Then Bayley spent a lot of time losing to Charlotte and Sasha and Becky. Then after about a year she finally wins the big one against Sasha, has a lackluster reign for 7 months till Asuka chokes her out, gets "injured" by Nia Jax and her last thing of note in NXT is getting her head kicked in by Asuka.

Bayley was built up by constantly losing the big one only beating Charlotte and Sasha after they had been called up.

Odd how two people can look at the same thing and see something so different...

They have the "girl who was a big wrestling fan growing up" narrative with Izzy, without Izzy or with any of a dozen enthusiastic fans. 

Bayley was built up as the lovable underdog, if you can't understand how this is a license to print money, you probably didn't get La Parka*, either.

*Another case of the bookers not understanding what they had. If you can't get over a guy in a skeleton costume that dances and hits people with chairs, you have no fucking business in the wrestling business.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, OSJ said:

You're partly correct, going back to NXT in and of itself will not help Bayley. Writers who understand the character and can book her well will make the difference. Sadly, she ain't getting that on the big stage, she is easily the most star-powered female wrestler since Wendi Richter. I'm not saying that she's the best, because she isn't. but she IS damn good and connects big-time with all sectors of the audience. By that token alone, she's worth a million Alexa Blisses.

The booking has been the pits for Bayley, much like it was for Sasha. Luckily, the crowd hasn't turned on either yet but I'm not sure how much longer Bayley's good will can last. 

I think Sasha is a different case because she's never been beaten down to the point where she is losing repeatedly week after week. She even got a win back on Nia after being squashed a few times. She can also turn heel at some point and do that for a while. 

So Sasha has some stability.  I can't say the same for Bayley, she is supposed to be a super likable babyface who young people can root for and be inspired by and I don't see how they can get back to that point without completely starting over.  They've really fucked this up. 

• Like 5