DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules IX

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

She shouldn't be at the top face of that division.  That's not her character.  

Just for point of order

In your belief, as the roster is currently constructed - who should be the top face of that division?

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just for point of order

In your belief, as the roster is currently constructed - who should be the top face of that division?

No one, as the roster is currently constructed.  Just because she would be the top face by default, doesn't mean that her character *should* be.  That is on them for not having a better face on deck.  

That's a shitty gotcha.

Wasn't meant as a gotcha

I legit was thinking to myself "are there any other women's faces on RAW that I am forgetting?"

I mean Meltzer legit was saying on the radio show last night that he is guessing Alexa's next feud is with a quasi face Nia Jax - which again is WWE booking for you

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wasn't meant as a gotcha

I legit was thinking to myself "are there any other women's faces on RAW that I am forgetting?"

I mean Meltzer legit was saying on the radio show last night that he is guessing Alexa's next feud is with a quasi face Nia Jax - which again is WWE booking for you

That's what Nia was building to on the pre-show and on Twitter. I mean, good luck with that everyone involved.

Nobody other than Alexa should be booked as the top woman on Raw right now since they've all been booked to look like shit.

Is someone sabotaging Bayley? I don't know about that, but there's certainly someone, possibly a 70 year old man that doesn't get her or really get anyone else on his roster. 

The women, cruisers, and anyone else worth a shit belong on Smackdown, and just let Raw be Vince and Kevin Dunn's Super Terrific Happy Hour. 

• Like 4

So can Aries go to the back of the line, now? I appreciate that they've built a long feud, but there's at least two or three other guys on 205 Live that they can give title opportunities to...right? I miss the show some weeks but I'm sure there's other matches than just Neville and Aries?

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Boy, there are some really shitty takes from people not ready to admit that Bayley just isn't that good and was largely a product of 15-16 NXT's Smoke and Mirrors.

My friend, wrestling is all smoke and mirrors, my objections arise from incorrect usage of same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

How was it for you, @NikoBaltimore?

It was an overall good time, thanks for asking.  My wife and I liked a good amount of the stuff though there were some definite logic holes.  I was pleasantly surprised that the Baltimore crowd wasn't shit and were generally pretty hot most of the night.

We were sitting toward the right and looking down at the Raw pre-show panel.  We can at least say we kinda saw Nia and Kurt though I wish she was on the show.  She is gorgeous in person and when not on camera seemed like the sweetest person around.  I'm hoping they turn her face as she would do very well.  Just let her be her and that will do wonders, plus she can inspire people more than she already is just on social media.

The Kalisto/Crews was a tremendous first match for the preshow.  The crowd was super hot into the moves and it was a damn good match to boot.  There were more people going for Miz and the match was generally awesome.  Still can't get over how many steps it takes Dean to run though, yeesh.  Maryse's outfit was shining a ton with all the stuff she had on her.  But glad Miz won.  I won't go too much into Bayley losing, but will say there were some awfully confused Bayley fans.  They wanted her to use the kendo stick and couldn't figure out why she didn't swing for the fences.  I'm hoping she snaps and goes all murderdeathkill on Alexa, because if it's just her moping about about she's done for.  All that's left to say about it is the whole thing with Bayley on the MR makes me incredibly sad, but I'll still root for her despite the dumb-as-fuck booking.

The Cruserweights should just move to Smackdown, especially since they're on both shows anyway.  But as good as the title match was it died a death.  Two idiots were trying to get beach balls batted around but it didn't last long before security got them.  And even though people loved Swann/Sasha and popped huge for the hometown love he didn't get much reaction while doing his thing.  Considering they've had at least one segment and usually two on Raw if people don't know/care about the Cruserweights by now then something needs to be done.  Thankfully they came alive for the main event which was pretty fun.  Roman's awfully hated there but they sure loved Finn and Seth.  Joe and Bray should form a team as I loved them working together.  The crowd was not expecting Joe to win but were pretty happy all the same, anybody but Roman I guess.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wasn't meant as a gotcha

Ugh.  I might be willing to pay money to not see that,  I dig Nia well enough - and her social media stuff makes me think she's quite likable outside the ring - but she's pretty green.  Her best use right now is probably as a monster heel, though the writers haven't done all that well on that score either.  One thing I don't want to see is her selling a lot for tiny Alexa.

They teased Nia as Alexa's henchman. That seemed like it would get over fairly well.  Wish they had followed up.

• Like 2

Aries is doing some of the best work of anyone on the roster, but it's totally time for him to stand back and let Gallagher, Tozawa or Swann get next. I like the idea of Gallagher eventually succeeding where Aries failed and Aries losing his shit on him. Those would be some good matches. I like the Cruiser Division even though there's some obvious problems with consistency. Don't know why anyone would want to see it disbanded. It's not hurting anyone by existing and it's getting Brian Kendrick a decent pay check.

I don't think Miz is that great a heel. He does some things that are dickish, but the Daniel Bryan ripoff is having the opposite effect as intended. Because fans are stupid trained dogs. Thought his match with Ambrose was one of his better performances overall though. The finish with the referee was fucking dumb. My sonw as pissed. Why act like you're going to DQ a guy, then basically fuck him over after distracting him? Same problem with the submission match. Can't win by countout if the only way to win is by submission. THE RULES.

I dug the cage match except the announcers spent almost every second saying the wrestlers were stupid for trying to escape because it would leave their partner by themselves. I get it was there to set up Jeff coming back in, but they killed the whole rest of the match with it.

The Bayley match sucked. I don't care that she lost but that was awful.

The Sasha/Swann match was forgettable until METEORA OFF THE THE TOP TO THE OUTSIDE. That was cooler than ANOTHER PHOENIX SPLASH. I feel like that move is everywhere.

My favorite part of the main event was Lil' Finn getting punched in the face by Roman Reigns A LOT. Any time Finn would get hot, Roman with an uppercut. Made Finn going off at the finish really nice.

My god I want Samoa Joe to go ham on Brock Lesnar.

• Like 2

I have very little to add to this discussion, other that anytime someone uses the "If they were so special, they'd be getting over even with bad booking" talking point, I don't even pay attention to the rest of there post, cause it's already clear I won't be able to take there opinion seriously.

• Like 12

I haven't bothered with Raw since the roster change, so I wasn't too invested in any of this, so maybe that's why I thought this was a pretty shitty show. But then, I really can't stand Alexa Bliss and "midget with no offense" is a fine descriptor for me. That match was god awful. I don't think I cared for any of the results tonight outside of the main, because Joe/Lesnar is still dream match to me and they better not fuck this up.

1 minute ago, El Dragon said:

I have very little to add to this discussion, other that anytime someone uses the "If they were so special, they'd be getting over even with bad booking" talking point, I don't even pay attention to the rest of there post, cause it's already clear I won't be able to take there opinion seriously.

Yes, because no one get's over despite bad booking.

Spoiler

wwe-raw-april-7-recap.jpg

b627a02be081f420-600x400.jpg

• Like 1

I could've went further than Bryan and Bray, but those were the two most recent examples.

I'm more finding a parallel about people getting bent because their favorate isn't on track to set the longest title reign record.

4 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Hide contents

So you're going to hold up arguably the best wrestler in the world over the last decade and a weird gimmick guy as your examples of getting over despite bad booking? Really, really? 

4 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Bryan is a MAJOR exception for whom the stars aligned and Bray is deader than roadkill.

There's also that little thing I mentioned about being arguably the best wrestler in the world for most the past decade before his retirement... Even the WWE fanbase recognizes greatness when they see it over and over.

6 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Hide contents

Bryan is on the short list of best wrestlers of all time, and Bray would be one of the main guys I'd point to (With Rusev) that booking can kill everyone. And I fucking love Bray, but he's been in purgatory since the Cena feud with only temporary glimses at what might have been.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

So you're going to hold up arguably the best wrestler in the world over the last decade and a weird gimmick guy as your examples of getting over despite bad booking? Really, really? 

Because we're all moving goalposts:

List of Big time guys that had early bouts of absolutely shitty booking, burials, and/or were almost out of the company before using their own merits to get over:

The Rock

Triple H

CM Punk

John Cena

Miz (recovered)

Eddie Guerrero

That's off the top of my head.

Seriously, you're the people touting Miss Adorable as the greatest women's wrestler alive and should be World Champ forever, either she's in that company, or she's not.  Pick one.

I'm probably not the best person to argue, because I don't believe she's the best alive or she should be champ forever. But I do think that if they booked her character a little differently they could make a lot more money off her. Which is what happened to most of the people you named on your list.

• Like 5

Now son, let's not get testy here... Dragging in a list of fifteen+year veterans to compare to someone who has been in the business less than five years isn't just "moving goalposts", it's being absurd. Have I ever once said that Bayley is the greatest women's wrestler? Not in the World, not in North America, not in WWE, not in NXT... However, she may well be the most marketable in the world and WWE is blowing that big time.

I would love some examples of John Cena, Rock, or Punk being booked so poorly as being a complete moron. Fuck, the biggest booking blunder Cena ever had to deal with pre becoming a main eventer was, what, the Carlito feud? What was Punks god awful booking? Rock and Miz were kinda shitty then got good, not bookings fault they were not over when they were shotty.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

So can Aries go to the back of the line, now? I appreciate that they've built a long feud, but there's at least two or three other guys on 205 Live that they can give title opportunities to...right? I miss the show some weeks but I'm sure there's other matches than just Neville and Aries?

I was thinking about this the other day, and I almost think they should introduce Cruiserweight Tag Titles.  On the one hand, I like that 205 Live has had plenty of feuds that weren't for the title but increasing the number of tag matches would allow them to get more people on the show.  They either need to do that, or learn from NXT and not have the same people on the show every single week.

18 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Aries is doing some of the best work of anyone on the roster, but it's totally time for him to stand back and let Gallagher, Tozawa or Swann get next. I like the idea of Gallagher eventually succeeding where Aries failed and Aries losing his shit on him. Those would be some good matches. I like the Cruiser Division even though there's some obvious problems with consistency. Don't know why anyone would want to see it disbanded. It's not hurting anyone by existing and it's getting Brian Kendrick a decent pay check.

My god I want Samoa Joe to go ham on Brock Lesnar.

The Cruiser division exists to serve a more hardcore audience and to provide programming for the Network.  I've enjoyed getting to watch guys I wouldn't otherwise find the time to watch.  I kind of hope we either get an Aries/Kendrick feud or team in the coming weeks.

As for Joe, I popped when he yelled "Bring Me Lesnar!" at the close of the show.

• Like 1