DVDVR Message Board

RIP Roger Moore (1927-2017)

odessasteps

Damn.  Part of my childhood is gone.

Wasn't a big fan of elder statesman Moore campy gadget heavy 007 movies, but The Saint ruled and Moore's early 007 run starting with Live & Let Die was chock full of awesome ruthlessness in the name of Queen and Country.

RIP.

I think For Your Eyes Only is actually a good throwback, relatively speaking, with less gadgets and campy stuff. 

Live and Let Die is certainly an interesting juxtaposition of Bond Movie and blaxploitation genre. I really like certain parts of it. 

Growing up as a kid with this movie constantly on made me love Roger Moore.  He was one star my parents and I could bond over. (no pun intended) :)

RIP Sir Moore.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Growing up as a kid with this movie constantly on made me love Roger Moore.  He was one star my parents and I could bond over. (no pun intended) :)

RIP Sir Moore.

It's kind of funny how important these scenes in this movie were to me. Like I get that the whole movie was famous people "breaking character" but most of them weren't really from my generation and most of them I knew were comedians anyway.

Roger Moore was different. I knew James Bond. He was the one and only James Bond to me at that time (there was no "'d rather watch a Connery, let's stream Goldfinger instead." You watched what was on now and that was Moore).

And so seeing him take the piss out of Bond and himself in this dumb movie, was this huge demystifying moment for me. Back when you saw "stars" in two places...in their movies and on the tonight show...and you couldn't pester them on twitter and shit...and you had no idea about the "business" this was like the first time I understood what a big put on the whole damn culture could be.

I guess maybe SNL was doing that already, having stars play parodies of their characters. But this was, like, out in the wild. I was so proud that I now had this information that James Bond was really just this dude who was kind of a dipshit. It was like the world was decoded.

Meanwhile Sean Connery hasn't decoded jack shit for me.

• Like 3

Still my favorite Roger Moore movie

and yes, For Your Eyes Only was dialing it down as far as the Moore era of Bond goes. Broccoli realized thy kind of went over the top with Moonraker so they went ahead with a movie that had more of a FRWL style than the Moonraker and TSWLM (though TSWLM was still awesome!)

James

Fuck, I loved Moonraker!. Of course, I was 12 at the time and, damn, Lois Chiles.  Until the VHS revolution, that didn't reach my house until the early 80's, the only way I was seeing a Connery Bond was whatever edited one showed up on network TV. So, yeah, Sir Roger was my guy. As much as I've enjoyed the Craig era, Live and Let Die is still my #1. Because, damn, Jane Seymour.  I remember liking Ffolkes at the time. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere.   

While I'm not a huge Bond guy I always found Moore's take on it to be my favorite.  And finding out more about him it seems like he really one helluva great guy.  I'm sure some have seen this story but it's still worth sharing in here.  http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/entertainment/roger-moore-marc-haynes-post/index.html?sr=twcnni052417roger-moore-marc-haynes-post/0515AMN/ALink&linkId=37946384

• Like 3

Everyone should read the Roger Moore fan encounter story linked above in Niko's post.  Many people meet their heroes or just someone they admire, and the person fails to live up to your ideals or lofty expectations of them.  Mr. Moore exceeded expectations both times and I am envious of Marc Haynes.

• Like 1

It's funny, my Dad was never able to buy Moore as Bond because he'd always be Beau Maverick to him.  Meanwhile, I've seen a lot of James Garner Maverick and at least a little of Jack Kelly as Bart, but I'm pretty sure I never saw any of the later Beau or Brent episodes. Meanwhile, for me Roger Moore is "my" Bond because, while I was too young to see the movies in the theatre, I must've seen Moonraker a half dozen times as an ABC Movie of the Week; as a result, it's kind of my definitive Bond 25 years later, despite being one of the weaker ones.

He's not my favorite Bond, but The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only* are two of the very best Bond films.

*Except Bibi. Oh dear God Bibi how I hate you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happjack said:

Outside of the JW Pepper stuff and the slide whistle during the car jump why do people hate The Man with the Golden Gun?

I like Golden Gun, but i could see issues with ...

britt eklund as a bond girl

Herve as the heel sidekick

The Moore movies set a wonderfully silly precedent of ending with Bond being caught having sex in inappropriate places by important diplomats/generals/royalty that I find sorely missing from the later films. 

MWTGG suffers from looking... cheap? Is that right word?
As opposed L&LD, which was trying ot be a blacksploitation film that just happened to have James Bond, Golden Gun has paper thin plot even for a Bond movie.

As far Moore as Bond, TSWLM , Octopussy and FYEO are the best of his run for me

James