DVDVR Message Board

Twin Peaks

Casey

I don't care if Coop is Dougie for the whole season at this point, this show is just so good that if Lynch keeps making episodes like last night I'm fine with this being the end.

The last fifteen minutes with the Dougie meeting the Mitchum brothers segueing into the cherry pie scene was as good as anything on television. That Bobby/Shelly/Becky scene at the dinner and that nightmare screaming woman/puking kid scene were great too.

This episode was just packed with great scene after great scene at a frenetic pace for all the people complaining that the show is slow and dull.

• Like 2

Well, unfortunately it wasn't the cherry pie that woke Coop up! We're getting trolled so hard by Lynch it's hard not to laugh.

I don't mind the lack of time we've  spent in Twin Peaks because what we have had has just been a nice amount of nostalgia 

• Like 1

Rewatching Sunday's episode and Candie is acting very similar to Dougie in the final scene when both are looking at the piano player. I'm wondering if

Spoiler

Candie ends up being where Laura's went when she disappeared in episode 2. Candie is very off like Dougie and the old waiter from the original series that's the Giant's host. I'd really like it if that's the direction they go in.

Also, Dana Ashbrook was so good in that diner scene. He's really going for it this season and his acting has been great.

• Like 1

Even I can't defend that one. The Sarah Palmer scenes were fantastic and I really enjoyed the Ben Horne's scenes with Truman and Beverly, but the rest of that was filler or dull. The first episode I did not like. Hopefully, next week is back on track.

Spoiler

That Audrey scene was pretty cringy. I don't remember Sherilyn's acting being that bad on the original series.

My biggest problem with this episode was how much time was devoted to characters we just met talking about characters we've never seen. We're introduced to some deformed nebbish Audrey inexplicably married, and all they talk about are Billy, Chuck, Tina and Paul. Who the hell are they? Then we go to the Roadhouse, where new characters Natalie and Abbey talk about Clark, Angela and Mary. WHO?! Why the hell should we care?

I'm guessing Billy is the guy Andy talked to whose truck Richard mowed down the kid with. But they said it was Chuck who stole the truck, not Richard. And the truck owner was credited as "Farmer" in episode 7. Maybe they just didn't want to reveal his name was Billy yet? At the end of that same episode, someone runs up to the Double R and asks if anyone has seen Billy. I hate that I care enough to try to make sense of this bullshit.

This show seems glacially slow now that I'm watching Game of Thrones on the same night.

• Like 1

Speaking of that, I think starting next week they are moving up an hour so they aren't airing at the same time as GOT.

That last scene was excruciating. Maybe it will make sense down the line as there are still six hours left (the equivalent of watching Inland Empire twice), but it was so dull. The last scene with unnamed characters talking was at least memorable because one of the girls had a rash and the sound design was disgusting. Basically redoing the Jacoby scene from episode 5 was stupid too. The last twenty five minutes gave me middle of season 2 vibes.

I'm still loving the show but unless all these new characters add up to something, the second half of this episode will be skipped over on rewatch.

Yeah, what purpose did rehashing that Jacoby scene serve other than filling up the excessive amount of airtime Showtime gave Lynch? Is the slow pacing even a stylistic choice as many seem to think or is it something they had to do when they realized they didn't have enough story to fill 18 hours?

• 2 weeks later...

Janey-E being Diane's half-sister really feels like one of those storytelling decisions that seems cliche and like a soap opera. But that's what Twin Peaks originally was anyway, so I don't know. I'm on the fence about that one.

Sarah Palmer being a conduit for Black Lodge forces makes perfect sense if you think about it.

I want to know more about the jail cell scene, personally. What was up with "Drunk" guy? Was that garmonbozia (like DoppleCoop in one of the first few episodes, vomiting it out) or blood that was coming out of his mouth? I know the Lady with No Eyes was in Episode 3, but what's her significance to all of this?

And why is the Giant now called the Fireman? Only four more episodes and there's still not enough time to answer all these questions and wrap up everything, even if the season (series?) finale is 2 hours long. Every week I'm more convinced that Showtime has already greenlit S4, but they're just playing dumb in the press until the finale.

• Like 1

Wouldn't Diane recognize how Dougie Jones looks exactly like her old boss?  

The guy in the cell, it looked like he was suffering from a gun shot wound and bleeding blood and puss, but no idea really.  I'd call it weird, but it's Twin Peaks.  It seems illegal they are letting a prisoner sit in a cell with that type of wound.  Also, if the woman is danger, shouldn't they have round the clock law enforcement there keeping an eye on the holding area?

At this point, I don't get how they wrap this all up with only 4 more episodes left, but oh well.  

Well, Diane did say they had been estranged for years and she hated Janey-E, so it's entirely possible that Janey-E has gotten married and given birth within the time since her and Diane last spoke. I wondered that too, and that's what I'm chalking it up to since it's the easiest answer.

I don't think that dude was suffering from a gunshot, he was communicating or something with the Girl with No Eyes and I'm pretty sure that puddle of liquid on the jail floor wasn't red, but a dark green/black color. He's labeled as Drunk in the credits, unless that's referring to the guy that Sarah Palmer MDK'd in that bar, so I'm going with the idea that he's from one of the Lodges or something. Plus, he kept repeating whatever Chad would say, kind of like what Dougie does.

,Has David Lynch ever been apart of anything that wrapped up cleanly with all questions answered at the end of it? If it was up to him, Laura's killer would never have been revealed and now he's in full control. I know that's kind of a cop out, but that's what he does. He made some vague comments at Cannes about this being the last thing he's going to direct but went back on that. He's starting to act a lot more as, according to IMDB, he's in three films this year. I could see this being the end.

There are theories on reddit about how the bleeding man in the holding cell is Billy who was one of the people Audrey was rambling about. One of the ladies in the roadhouse at the end was named Tina (Another name Audrey said) and she described Billy as having blood pouring out of his mouth like a waterfall. He also could supernaturally jump over fences, so he has some kind of lodge powers. 

One of those bugs crawl inside of him maybe? They haven't really gone back to that yet, have they? 

Monica Bellucci dream was 10/10 for me. The scene about the glove was also fantastic and I'm sure we all wish we could've had more stuff like the scenes in the forest. Second best episode so far outside of the 2001 A Space Odyssey tribute. Vox reviews/analyses have really been hitting it out of the park bringing together seemingly disparate moments in the show. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Janey-E being Diane's half-sister really feels like one of those storytelling decisions that seems cliche and like a soap opera. But that's what Twin Peaks originally was anyway, so I don't know. I'm on the fence about that one.

I pitched a proper fit about this last night.

Realistically, what are the chances of fourth season?

I've had four cups of strong coffee and I'm still trying to figure out who "We’re like the dreamer who dreams and then lives inside the dream. But who is the dreamer?” is referring to. Laura? Found the juxtaposition between faceless Sarah Palmer and faceless Laura Palmer quite interesting, I guess that answers who the little girl was in episode 8!

I'm very interested to know of the importance of the eyeless woman and what she's saying, and whether 'Mother' banging on her door way back in episode 3 was the Creation or something else.

Why is the Giant now called the Fireman? Because he puts out fire (walk with me)

Loved that it was Andy who went to meet with him, I guess because he's purest of heart

Very much looking forward to doing a full and complete rewatch when they release it on DVD, just hope I don't have to buy ANOTHER 'complete' boxset, I swore Missing Pieces would be my last one!

"DAMMIT WILSON, THAT'S WHAT WE DO HERE AT THE FBI!!!"

On 8/14/2017 at 6:41 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I pitched a proper fit about this last night.

Realistically, what are the chances of fourth season?

Both Lynch and Showtime have said they'd be up for more. Nothing official yet. It would be nice to have another season that actually has Dale Cooper in it.

A whole season of Dougie Cooper has been a fucking nightmare and borderline unbearable.  And the people defending it, shame on you.

First it's like:

* Oh, it's going to happen soon and it will be aces!

* Oh he just needs to drink the coffee!

* Oh he just needs to eat the cherry pie!

* Oh he just needs to eat the real cherry pie from the Double R

* Oh now he just needs to make love to a woman he has genuine affection for

They will gobble up anything David Lynch feeds them and call it art.  And it's not that I don't enjoy really pure heroin David Lynch like episode 8, but it's mainly the Dougie Cooper aspect I can't deal with.

Now maybe Lynch and Frost are more clever than I've realized, but they've introduced so many plot threads that they just ignore for several episodes, I'm not sure how everything gets tied together by the end. 

That's not it at all, it's been a charming and funny touch that has subverted what people expected coming into this. Has it been borderline infuriating in parts? Yes. Has it been important to the grand scheme of things? TBD.

The whole Dougie thing is starting to feel more and more deliberate to me in the sense that ‘The Return’ is more than just a title signalling the return of the show or a return to the town of Twin Peaks, it’s a show completely about returning.

I get some viewers are frustrated with the patient, deliberate awakening of Dale Cooper but I’d argue now that the long chapters of Cooper shuffling through Dougie’s life aren’t a distraction from the story – they are the story. It's totally about Agent Dale Cooper’s lingering return from a quarter-century on another plane.

While we may have wanted the show to be about Dale Cooper breaking free from the Waiting Room and confronting his Doppleganger and righting those wrongs perpetrated in his name, it’s more about the odyssey of trying to return to the past—to a youthful vigour long lost, to a once razor-keen mind now clouded, to a world left behind. No matter how fully Cooper recovers from his current state, no matter how much of his crisp professional shine or his piercing intelligence or his charming eccentricity he regains, he will never be the Dale Cooper he knew, or the Dale Cooper we knew, because that man existed 25 years ago.

When we visit Twin Peaks in the brief scenes we’ve had it is death, age, and loss looming all over the town with this searing, sweet honesty, and it’s beginning to feel that Dale Cooper’s journey is a microcosm of that – no road, however mystical, can take him (or us) back to the past. No map can guide us into our youth again. We can only go into the future and do our best.

• Like 3