DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in USA 7/1 - 7/2

Raziel

Perfectly good show to just kick back and watch. Yeah, JR didn't do well but that's on New Japan for putting him there. He's an old man who has been through a lot. Hopefully they learn for next time.

I'd have to go with Naito/Ishii has my favorite match followed by Omega/Elgin and Cody/Okada. I actually thought Cody did pretty well all things considered. I wonder if he winds up costing Omega the US Title and we get a big breakup angle on tomorrow's show?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I wonder if he winds up costing Omega the US Title and we get a big breakup angle on tomorrow's show?

That's my guess. Lethal winning is a nice bone to throw ROH after Cody lost; ZSJ already works the USA a ton, and is a bigger star here than in Japan anyway; Ishii, well, they don't seem keen to put any major title on him, so the US belt would be a good gesture. Omega is the only one left with other--bigger--things to do in the company.

• Like 2

I ended up having to do stuff which made me miss damn near all of Juice/ZSJ, so I'll be giving that a look. Honestly, I find Okada dull and Cody is even duller, so I was fighting pretty hard to stay awake during the main. Oemga/Elgin and Naito/Ishii were pretty entertaining, at least. Neither 10-man stuck around long enough to mean anything, IMO. Tag title match was meh until Evans ran in and I spent a good two minutes wondering who the fuck it was. Less said about the production is probably for the better. Yeesh.

I feel like Ishii/Naito lost me after a really fucking great opening segment with Naito continually disrespecting Ishii and using his speed and technique to avoid too much damage and a good middle third portion. I was almost nodding off in the ending stretch because it felt like just another by-the-numbers New Japan epic match with nothing really unique about it. This can't be said about the Omega/Elgin match. That home stretch was fucking ridiculous and I'm sure it was way too much for many on here. Kicking out of the avalanche splash mountain following that naaaasty apron German suplex was God-level Misawa stuff. Oh, and the big Kobashi-sized lariat Elgin landed on Omega was gross. Outside of bad production/commentary, the show had five good-to-great matches on it, including Cody's best singles match I've seen to date. Juice/ZSJ almost stole the show. This was a much better GOD/War Machine match than the first title switch too.

I love the Bullet Club friction. I hope it leads to a splintering of the Elite and BC or an outright Omega babyface turn. 

The stage made it seem like New Japan was just sponsoring a ROH show. They even had the bad commentary and production issues to match ROH shows. I hope they learn from this moving forward. And the whole relying on American outsiders too. Billy Gunn getting booed was pretty fucking funny though, I gotta say.

1 hour ago, Peck said:

The "reporter" asking the questions at the Okada "press conference" sounds like a 6-year-old boy. This is slightly awkward. And then very little translation on top of it..

If we're talking about the same thing, I believe it was a Japanese woman translating questions. That's the least of their worries.

• Like 1

Watching the replay. Team CMLL vs. Ingobernables was really fun but they could have used another couple minutes for sure. At least more Liger. Give the people what they want! Titan has some crazy athleticism.

I think I'll pass on commenting on the ROH match they decided to put in the US title tournament

HE PUT A CRAVATE ON HIS DREADS

I repeat

HE PUT A CRAVATE ON HIS DREADS

ZSJ/Juice was the best match of the night. Flat out. Zach is such a nasty, wily little skinny prick and Juice is a great young wide-eyed babyface. I'm ashamed to say that the match between two non-Japanese competitors was the best match on a New Japan show, but it was. That was a blast.

I was backstage for most of the press conferences, and I couldn't hear almost what any of the guys were saying.  Cody Rhodes and Omega had a confrontation.  I'm not sure what it was about, but it ended with Cody flipping the table.  

I didn't see the broadcast yet, so I don't know if they were showing these on TV.  

For the issues with Jim Ross, can anyone go over what the problems were?

Haku and Stone Cold Steve Austin were both in attendance.  Kevin Kelly was also there.  I saw Stone Cold once in the press conference room earlier in the night, but he disappeared not long after that and I didn't spot him again.  

Organization for the show wasn't super great, but my hope is that with all the tickets sold, NJPW will come back and be a little more prepared and maybe get a bigger venue.  Maybe a smaller coliseum so it's not all just fold out seats in a convention center.

• Like 2

ZSJ/Ishii is gonna be one weird ass match.  They have a tough hill to climb convincing me ZSJ can hurt Ishii at all.

ZSJ did have his best match in a while tonight, thanks mostly to a great performance by Juice.  The crowd was way into Juice, too.  Which was cool and surprising.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

ZSJ/Ishii is gonna be one weird ass match.  They have a tough hill to climb convincing me ZSJ can hurt Ishii at all.

ZSJ did have his best match in a while tonight, thanks mostly to a great performance by Juice.  The crowd was way into Juice, too.  Which was cool and surprising.

This is potentially one of the good things about tournaments, weird ass style clash matches :D

I thought both Sabre and Juice looked really good tonight.

Those who weren't there missed the most hilariously pathetic bit of the night.

The merchandise table had a 45 minute long wait for the entire night. 

Seperate from the merch table, Yoshitatsu had his own table selling t-shirts and 8x10s... to nobody.

Sightings:
Before the show, Okada, in a suit, was wandering around in front of the parking garage.
I saw Ross and Barnett going backstage, and Kevin Kelly in the cordoned off area.
I saw Ron Funches hanging out after the show outside. 

Overall, I enjoyed it. Even the cheap seats were good. No match seemed bad to me and I had a lot of fun. I also apparently enjoy GOD-v-War Machine more than anybody.

• Like 4

Disappointed to hear about all the production errors.  Would've figured AXS TV would've brought their A-game for this.  No matter what anyone says, these events are a big deal.

And yeah that setup for the merch table was terrible.  I feel really bad for anyone who had to wait in that line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

This can't be said about the Omega/Elgin match. That home stretch was fucking ridiculous and I'm sure it was way too much for many on here. Kicking out of the avalanche splash mountain following that naaaasty apron German suplex was God-level Misawa stuff.

I do feel like Elgin ultimately kinda buries himself in these big matches.  He did the same thing in the Naito match: hit this insane death march of offense for a 2 count.  Like JR said tonight in his one moment of cogent thought after the super splash mountain, if he can't win with that, what can he win with?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

For the issues with Jim Ross, can anyone go over what the problems were?

I've only seen the first two matches so far, but he couldn't pronounce "Scurll" properly (he kept saying "Shurll") and he didn't know which Briscoe was Jay and which one was Mark, despite them having wildly different hairstyles.  

• Like 1

I fucking hate Sabre but I have to admit, I really enjoyed his match with Juice Robinson.

Omega/Elgin was my favorite match of the night, but I need to watch Okada/Cody tomorrow. I fell asleep right after Omega's match (thought for sure he'd lose, since every single person I thought would advance in the tournament ended up losing).

Bad Luck Fale deserves better than these 8 and 10 man tag matches. He should be the first US Heavyweight Champion, damnit.

Awww, I feel bad for Yoshi. I'd have bought an autograph. 

2 hours ago, Ace said:

I saw Ron Funches hanging out after the show outside. 

Now speaking of autographs, I'd at least get a selfie with him if not that. And now I'm wondering who in NJPW gets high...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I've only seen the first two matches so far, but he couldn't pronounce "Scurll" properly (he kept saying "Shurll") and he didn't know which Briscoe was Jay and which one was Mark, despite them having wildly different hairstyles.  

The other things I have seen on Twitter was him calling ZSJ Will Ospreay (or the other way around)

And it probably wasn't the best night to be comparing people to Jim Breaks

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

Not sure why people are surprised by JR terrible commentary.  I mean the last live thing he has done was probably WM and do you really need to have to prepare for a Underaker vs Roman Reigns match.   The UK stuff wasn't live commentary and the Mae Young stuff won't be live commentary either

This is super nit picky but he called the UK Title match at Takeover Chicago live and that was about 6 weeks ago

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Barnett admitted on Austin's podcast that he doesn't do any research before the recorded shows so I assume it wouldn't be too much different for the live show. I assume JR is not doing any research at this point either.

JR tweeted a photo of the US title bracket in the days before the show, and he said he was doing research.