DVDVR Message Board

NJPW G1 Special in USA 7/1 - 7/2

Raziel

My only thing about Omega winning the US Title is that the finish from Dominion suggests that he's getting another high profile match with Okada, so I don't see him getting locked into the US Title if he's possibly winning the G1 or the belt between the G1 and WK.

• Like 2

I thought Gedo knew enough about the US wrestling scene to know better when Billy Gunn claimed he was a huge name in the US and still main-evented all over.  Guess i was wrong.

Tana's one of my all-time favorites, but I'd have to think long and hard to come up with a less exciting matchup for US fans.  I guess Billy Gunn.  I guess 65-year-old Greg Valentine is booked elsewhere that day?

On 6/12/2017 at 8:32 AM, Raziel403 said:

My only thing about Omega winning the US Title is that the finish from Dominion suggests that he's getting another high profile match with Okada, so I don't see him getting locked into the US Title if he's possibly winning the G1 or the belt between the G1 and WK.

My thoughts exactly. I think he repeats the G1 and wins the title at the Dome. Hopefully he re-signs later this year and we avoid the free agency stuff this time around. I think it would be wise to keep Okada/Omega in separate blocks for the G1.

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

My thoughts exactly. I think he repeats the G1 and wins the title at the Dome. Hopefully he re-signs later this year and we avoid the free agency stuff this time around. I think it would be wise to keep Okada/Omega in separate blocks for the G1.

Nope- they were in opposite brackets last year so I'd be shocked if they weren't matched up this time.

Hey a few years back well maybe 5 but some time ago on this board a full blown argument over Billy Gunn as a worker and I think I remember his punches being the central argument for Gunn being a good worker.

I thought Billy Gunn was a legit great worker c. 1999 with a main-event look, but would never be main event because of his weak promos and decidedly midcard gimmick. That said, it's been 18 years since what I'd deem his in-ring peak. If Tana drags a good match out of him, it will sentiment The Ace as the best in the world of this generation. 

Meet & Greet schedule.

Below is a list of stars appearing Saturday, July 1, 2017 from 12:00pm to 2:00pm

BULLET CLUB
“The Cleaner” Kenny Omega
IWGP Jr & ROH World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks

CHAOS
Roppongi Vice (Beretta & Rocky Romero)
“Aerial Assassin” Will Ospreay

NJPW
Hiroshi Tanahshi
IWGP Junior Heavyweight & Ring of Honor Television Champion KUSHIDA

Below is a list of stars appearing on Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 12:00pm to 2:00pm

CHAOS
IWGP Heavyweight Champion “The Rainmaker” Kazuchika Okada

BULLET CLUB
ROH World Heavyweight Champion Cody
Bad Luck Fale
G.O.D (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)
King Haku

NJPW
The legendary Jushin “Thunder” Liger
YOSHITATSU

The $10 ticket for the M&G gets you one of the people. If you choose another, it's another $10, which is a ridiculously low price. I'm going on Sunday, and my first priority'll be Liger. 

• Like 1

Holy shit that's quite a list.  I'd love to Meet Omega and Okada, but I'd be thrilled to pieces to meet Haku and Liger.  Considering it's only for 2 hours each M&G session good luck getting to meet more than one wrestler.

I am super hyped for this show. The crowd is going to be rabid. If Okada can't get a great match out of Cody, that says all you need to say about Cody. Omega/Elgin and Ishii/Naito.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I feel like Juice is a real darkhorse to win this thing.  He's worked his butt off and made the most of some big opportunities that Gedo has thrown his way this year.  I could definitely see this being his reward.  Plus, they might think it wise to have the US title on an actual US guy who can work here without visa concerns and whatnot.

It might be risky putting him over guys like Naito and Omega, who the crowd will clearly be more excited to see, but if he steps up and delivers, he's a made man in one night and NJPW has their next big American star lined up when Omega leaves.

Okay I am stupid,  is the show tomorrow night available only on AXS TV or can I get it on NJPWorld.   I know the show on Sunday night (or sometime Sunday) is available on NJPWorld.   I have no problem listening to the Japanese version of the show if Kevin Kelly and Don Callis are still calling things

In the States, you can only watch tomorrow's show live via AXS but Sunday's show is available on World AFAIK. I think you can watch it on World shortly after it finishes. In Canada it's on Fight Network but also World live.

I agree with Juice being a legit threat to win. He's taken big strides this past year and this'll be the payoff to his rise up the card.  

Edit: another thing that may lean Gedo towards Juice going over is if either Naito or Omega win the title to give it a strong start it suggests the champ will not win the G1. This way it leaves the G1 wide open.

I am more fired up for this show than I was for Wrestlemania. Unfortunately, I have to settle for watching on TV, but I'd have been disappointed with the meet and greet since the best heel of my lifetime isn't participating. ;-( 

It's absolutely wonderful that AXS is showing NJPW all day to set the mood. This is heaven!

Well, at least that's out of the way, and hopefully we've seen the last of the British buffoons for the evening. Shouldn't the guy named "Ospreay" be the one to do the bird thing? Just sayin'...