DVDVR Message Board

RIP Chris Cornell

Liam

Right? It's wild. It's like, there's two outcomes for 60s/70s stars; you either die while at the height of fame or somehow outlive everyone. No middle ground.  

**edit** 

...ugh... 

Sources tell Local 4 Cornell's wife called a family friend and asked him to check on the singer. That friend forced open the hotel room door where Cornell was found dead in the bathroom with something around his neck.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/rocker-chris-cornell-has-died-at-age-52-in-detroit 

---

Okay so, I don't mean to pile on something that is awful, but I will for the sake of speculation...

...this is terrible. 

Been blasting Badmotorfinger for old time's sake the past few weeks in the car for my commute.

I suppose that's going to keep happening for a while.

God.

Damn It.

Cornell was both a rock star and a quiet, sensitive soul. It was a unique dynamic. When he was using his pipes and letting out that primal scream it felt like he was letting loose that raw emotion that lies within all of us. When it was just him and a guitar he could toy with you. He could make you sad and longing. He could make you hopeful and optimistic. He will be missed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

It's kind of amazing that everyone from Jane's Addiction & MOST of the RHCP are still with it when you think about it. 

Ozzy, Keith Richards, and Iggy Pop just keep on going, like the Energizer bunny.

• Like 3

For people who follow grunge/metal/whatever, was Cornell really that influential?  Wife and I heard this on the radio this morning and she asked me who he was.  And I had to think a minute before saying "he was in one of those grunge bands like Nirvana, I think."  Driving into work, I discovered the local hard rock station was playing Cornell's music all day except when they break in to have dj's reminisce about losing their virginity during a Soundgarden song (too much information, for me),  Basically got the impression Bruce Springsteen passed away and Elvis was found dead underneath the corpse.

I only know Cornell as Soundgarden front man (I think), but college alternative/metal/90's rock were never my thing.  Wife and I listen to a lot of jazz, country, etc.  Wife's current favorite band is the Piano Guys.  Mine is still Springsteen, so the last couple music revolutions have obviously passed us by.  I was 22 in 1990 and working in Europe for one of the largest accounting firms in the world, so I was slightly too old and grunge was basically something that I read about in Rolling Stone more than listened to.

Just curious.  Local stations making more of this than I would have guessed, so I'm thinking I missed something.  I couldn't name a single Cornell song (I can name a total of one Nirvana song, for the record).

21 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

For people who follow grunge/metal/whatever, was Cornell really that influential?  Wife and I heard this on the radio this morning and she asked me who he was.  And I had to think a minute before saying "he was in one of those grunge bands like Nirvana, I think."  Driving into work, I discovered the local hard rock station was playing Cornell's music all day except when they break in to have dj's reminisce about losing their virginity during a Soundgarden song (too much information, for me),  Basically got the impression Bruce Springsteen passed away and Elvis was found dead underneath the corpse.

I only know Cornell as Soundgarden front man (I think), but college alternative/metal/90's rock were never my thing.  Wife and I listen to a lot of jazz, country, etc.  Wife's current favorite band is the Piano Guys.  Mine is still Springsteen, so the last couple music revolutions have obviously passed us by.  I was 22 in 1990 and working in Europe for one of the largest accounting firms in the world, so I was slightly too old and grunge was basically something that I read about in Rolling Stone more than listened to.

Just curious.  Local stations making more of this than I would have guessed, so I'm thinking I missed something.  I couldn't name a single Cornell song (I can name a total of one Nirvana song, for the record).

Check out Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger, and Superunknown. That should answer your question. Arguably, the best vocalist to come out of Seattle. It's him and Layne Staley in my book. Cornell had a vocal range like very few others. Cobain was the poster child for Seattle, but I'd put Staley, Cornell, and Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone) well ahead of Cobain as a vocalist. I think the media loved Kurt because he gave off that tortured poet vibe and it was easy to peg him as the voice of a generation.

• Like 2

It 'helps' the media that he is the latest in a line of guys from that era who have passed in an untimely or tragic fashion. He was an amazing singer, but the story kinda starts to write itself when it comes to the guys who were at the forefront of this style.

Soundgarden has a weird place in rock because they were the 4th or 5th most popular group (arguably most talented) of a scene that completely took over pop culture. I would bet my mother knows that Soundgarden exists.  I don't know that they were many peoples favorite acts but I can't recall anyone ever having a bad word to say about them. For whatever reason they never had people worshiping them like a Springsteen or even a Pearl Jam.

Post-Soundgarden Cornell continued to evolve as an artist and actually has an interesting body of work.

10 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I would bet my mother knows that Soundgatden exists. 

Lol, I hope you're about to tell us how young and hip your mom is.  Otherwise, I'm going to feel really old and out of touch.

I think Cornell was generally recognized as the best rock singer of the 90's, and Soundgarden have a fairly good claim on being the band that actually started the grunge wave (at bare minimum, they were the first of the defining acts to sign with a major)

They were probably my second favorite of the grunge bands (behind Alice in Chains) but without question they were the most musically diverse.

• Like 6