DVDVR Message Board

SDL: DOA - 5/16/2017

Burgundy LaRue

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

If Vince hires Marty Scurll because of you I will find you and I will hurt you.

Well, Vince allowed for Anderson, Gallows, and A.J. to pick up paychecks.

I like the idea of some lower card guy getting a huge push out of nowhere, so I should be all over this Jinder thing. But his matches with Sami and AJ over the last few weeks have been nothing matches by the standards of those guys. Doesn't bode well for his match against Orton.

Then again, Vince is allegedly really personally invested in Jinder and his character. So we may be stuck for a little while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Then again, Vince is allegedly really personally invested in Jinder and his character. So we may be stuck for a little while.

This is one of the least surprising things I've ever read. I would have been more surprised if you said Vince wasn't involved in the Jinder push.

• Like 1

The sad part is that Jinder really is giving his all.  His promos are solid if not spectacular, and he tries to project a strong physical presence. It doesn't quite click for him.  If they had taken a couple of months to build him, maybe Jinder could duck and run his way to a good spot.  But he's been given no cover and he doesn't have enough cache on his own to make things work.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The sad part is that Jinder really is giving his all.  His promos are solid if not spectacular, and he tries to project a strong physical presence. It doesn't quite click for him.  If they had taken a couple of months to build him, maybe Jinder could duck and run his way to a good spot.  But he's been given no cover and he doesn't have enough cache on his own to make things work.

This about sums it up. I don't think many people have a huge problem with Jinder himself, it's the build-up. He was a comedy jobber and cannon fodder not too long ago and now we're supposed to buy him as a world title contender? I could maybe even sort of buy a quick ascension up the ranks if he was a great wrestler, like a guy who was technically sound or whatever but always fell just short just all of a sudden putting it together and getting a shot. However, he's average at best in the ring so that angle is taken away. Same with the mic skills. He's ok on the stick but he's not saying anything we haven't heard about 784 other foreign heels say.

• Like 2

Jinder's issue is that his push was so out of nowhere that he's kind of boned either way. If he wins the title, it'll look like a fluke and that he doesn't deserve it. If he doesn't, then it just proves he wasn't ready for the push in the first place. It'll take some masterful booking to make him seem legit in a hurry.

Even the out of nowhere JBL title push wasn't as "huh?" inducing. At least he was established as a successful tag wrestler. Jinder basically never won a match until the #1 contenders thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Even the out of nowhere JBL title push wasn't as "huh?" inducing. At least he was established as a successful tag wrestler. Jinder basically never won a match until the #1 contenders thing.

Exactly. JBL at least had won multiple tag-team titles and had been a pushed singles guy at various points. Jinder was best known for being "the funny one" in 3MB and for Cena cracking a joke about him.

• Like 1

Just finished the main event on Universo and boy that was a whole lot of punch-kick and boredom. Does Corbin do anything but that skin-the-cat? He did that three times. It was kind of funny when those two tiny restaurant hosts ran in though. 

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

What's even more frustrating is they had an easy out with the Andre at WM.  Have Jinder win instead of Mojo Rawley, who they've done exactly zero with. Use that as Jinder's means to demand more respect, he finds himself traded to SDL, becomes even more infuriated at what he perceives as being snubbed, and then parlay that into a few wins leading into the #1 contenders' match. Literally three minutes of pre-planning and they've covered their bases with this.  But NOPE.