DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Golden Truth, RIP - 5/15/2017

Dolfan in NYC

33 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

There is absolutely no reason to turn Roman heel when there's not a single face on the main roster that can currently stand up to him.

And don't try to convince me Braun is a face or something else dumb along the lines.

The problem is that he's already the defacto heel. There isn't any logical reason why Brock, AJ, Seth, or Braun all got face reactions in their battles against Reigns.

3 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

People who bitch about Roman only doing two moves and not being able to wrestle, seem to conveniently ignore the fact Finn Balor outside of punches, kicks and stomps...literally only did a Slingblade as a wrestling move last night.

Roman has more variations of the sitdown power bomb than Balor has moves on the main roster.

10 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I only turned it on right at the end and I think Rollins and Wyatt were having what appeared to be a slumberjack match. First one to put the crowd to sleep wins.Or loses. I didn't stay around to find out.

That means it was a draw.

• Like 3

So I got word that the Roman vs Finn match was good so I peeped that. I can't be bothered with 3 hours of bullshit, I am sorry. Just get me to the good shit, fuck the presentation.

And the match was solid. Finn and Roman have some great chemistry and this is one of Finn's better matches. Finn Balor works great with physical guys like Nak, Samoa Joe, and etc because they force him to sell. Balor has this very clean and precise style in which yeah, it is impressive, but Finn remains plain because of it. So he was great. And Roman loves working with little guys because it means that he gets to expand his arsenal and try some cool shit like that nifty spin out powerbomb that was not as nifty as Sami, but fuck it, Roman is a big guy. The hesitation also sold the fact that he is injured so good on him.

Now, I have to ask who in the fuck is giving the commentators the material to bury Balor like that? On the Smackdown side of things, sure, JBL is an asshole in character and out, but they usually don't immediately discredit guys. In fact, they are doing a great job lifting up Jinder in spite of his clumsiness. It felt unnatural in how they immediately discredited everyone else in the five way(especially Samoa Joe who I feel would fuck up Brock Lesnar), and say that Roman has the best shot at Lesnar. And they kept harping on the fact that Balor is too small like the dude just has no shot at Lesnar and I am like....what? I don't understand the booking logic here. 

First, I do not think a wrestling character like Lesnar should exist. The appeal of Lesnar runs a little thin because it literally buries the entire roster. Lesnar goes beyong Braun Strowman or literally any character that has ever been in the WWE. We are talking about Kurt Angle(an Olympic Gold Medalist), Ken Shamrock, the undertaker, and pretty much any guy that was physically superior than your above average wrestler. Lesnar should have never had a string of matches in which the story revolves around how long can they endure the Beast or taking Brock out of the picture first and deal with everyone else. I do not believe Roman can beat Lesnar with a spear. Shit, Roman could have an actual spear and I would not believe it. My suspension of disbelief has been raised because of Lesnar's booking and allure. In the same vein, WWE has booked even more physically impressive guys than Lesnar in a much more tamed role in which they are at least beatable.  

Lesnar just becomes another obstacle for Roman to overcome and the booking makes it forced. 

I mean wrestling should be a character driven story in which you can follow a character, any character, and feel attached to it. Roman's character has the story unnecessarily gravitate towards him. He beceomes Billy Badass and he is the most badassiest of badasses and he beats everyone without a struggle or problem. Only he can do this thing because he is so badass. Never telling why he is so good. Never showing us why he is so special. Like the commentators said that Roman is by far the most physical wrestler in the WWE and I am like, "More physical than Cesaro, Sheamus, Samoa Joe, Big E, and Braun Strowman?" It's these unnecessary platitudes that the prescribe to his character that seems like the WWE keeps wanting the fans to believe that he is awesome and what they are selling does not match up.

I like Roman as a wrestler and I dig his presence in the ring. But the booking is not doing him favors.

• Like 2

So glad someone must have realized that splitting Alicia and Noam was a bad idea. It's given Fox something to do and it's helped make Dar more recognisable than just another 205Live guy. I'm just hoping that Cedric's imminent return doesn't signal an end for them, feel there's more that can be done with them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

The idea that people want Roman to "turn heel" so they can cheer for him has always sounded so dumb to me. It didn't work when they used that logic for Cena and it doesn't make sense now.

I want him to turn heel because he would be awesome at it.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I want him to turn heel because he would be awesome at it.

But everyone else on the face side kinda sucks at that, which is sort of a problem. Either way, Roman is kind of a tweener as it is and fights both faces and heels a lot. His match with Balor last night for instance. 

Roman should be a heel because fans wanna boo him anyway, silent asskickers work better as heels and he desperately needs someone to do the talking for him. Heel managers work better than face managers.

I know it won't happen, but imagine Heyman doing the talking for Reigns instead of Lesnar.

After a little while of kicking ass as a heel, the fans will turn him and he'll finally be the face Vince dreams of. But he's not gonna get there without a full-fledged turn.

Lowkey last night?  Roman and Finn, seen as the two bad talkers in the group, were by far the best on the mic during the opening promo.  Clear, concise, and dealt with what was in front of them.  Joe and Wyatt were spouting nonsense, and Rollins has become a total babyface cliché when speaking.

6 hours ago, Kyuubi said:

So I got word that the Roman vs Finn match was good so I peeped that. I can't be bothered with 3 hours of bullshit, I am sorry. Just get me to the good shit, fuck the presentation.

And the match was solid. Finn and Roman have some great chemistry and this is one of Finn's better matches. Finn Balor works great with physical guys like Nak, Samoa Joe, and etc because they force him to sell. Balor has this very clean and precise style in which yeah, it is impressive, but Finn remains plain because of it. So he was great. And Roman loves working with little guys because it means that he gets to expand his arsenal and try some cool shit like that nifty spin out powerbomb that was not as nifty as Sami, but fuck it, Roman is a big guy. The hesitation also sold the fact that he is injured so good on him.

Now, I have to ask who in the fuck is giving the commentators the material to bury Balor like that? On the Smackdown side of things, sure, JBL is an asshole in character and out, but they usually don't immediately discredit guys. In fact, they are doing a great job lifting up Jinder in spite of his clumsiness. It felt unnatural in how they immediately discredited everyone else in the five way(especially Samoa Joe who I feel would fuck up Brock Lesnar), and say that Roman has the best shot at Lesnar. And they kept harping on the fact that Balor is too small like the dude just has no shot at Lesnar and I am like....what? I don't understand the booking logic here. 

First, I do not think a wrestling character like Lesnar should exist. The appeal of Lesnar runs a little thin because it literally buries the entire roster. Lesnar goes beyong Braun Strowman or literally any character that has ever been in the WWE. We are talking about Kurt Angle(an Olympic Gold Medalist), Ken Shamrock, the undertaker, and pretty much any guy that was physically superior than your above average wrestler. Lesnar should have never had a string of matches in which the story revolves around how long can they endure the Beast or taking Brock out of the picture first and deal with everyone else. I do not believe Roman can beat Lesnar with a spear. Shit, Roman could have an actual spear and I would not believe it. My suspension of disbelief has been raised because of Lesnar's booking and allure. In the same vein, WWE has booked even more physically impressive guys than Lesnar in a much more tamed role in which they are at least beatable.  

Lesnar just becomes another obstacle for Roman to overcome and the booking makes it forced. 

I mean wrestling should be a character driven story in which you can follow a character, any character, and feel attached to it. Roman's character has the story unnecessarily gravitate towards him. He beceomes Billy Badass and he is the most badassiest of badasses and he beats everyone without a struggle or problem. Only he can do this thing because he is so badass. Never telling why he is so good. Never showing us why he is so special. Like the commentators said that Roman is by far the most physical wrestler in the WWE and I am like, "More physical than Cesaro, Sheamus, Samoa Joe, Big E, and Braun Strowman?" It's these unnecessary platitudes that the prescribe to his character that seems like the WWE keeps wanting the fans to believe that he is awesome and what they are selling does not match up.

I like Roman as a wrestler and I dig his presence in the ring. But the booking is not doing him favors.

I don't know, a good pop to the gut would probably drop him. 

On 5/16/2017 at 0:17 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

g5oOxG.gif

Uh, it's the "Armpit Of The Nation," Alexa.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I like how the WON recapper couldn't figure out why Apollo attacked Enzo.

Clearly he is not familiar with Occam's Razor.

Since when has the simplest answer being the best one ever been an essential ingredient of WWE booking?

It seems like playing ME:A multiplayer was the correct decision on Monday night.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 11:55 AM, Burgundy LaRue said:

In short: yes. Or at least a big part of it. People often suggest he has two moves and Braun Strowman calls their matches.

People actually think Braun calls their matches? It's not like Roman is a grizzled vet or anything but Strowman probably has less than 100 matches under his belt while Roman's been wrestling for 7 years.

I love how there's a gif for Alexa's assessment of New Jersey.  But to really show how the crowd is even if she made a comment to shut down the "What?" chant there were many that still did it.  She is a wonder on the mic and it's hard to believe she was terrified about turning heel in NXT.  Once she found her groove she's been on fire.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

When the simplest answer is "Kick Enzo in the face." I approve

No arguments here.  I am good with Enzo being kicked in the face.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, cwoy2j said:

People actually think Braun calls their matches? It's not like Roman is a grizzled vet or anything but Strowman probably has less than 100 matches under his belt while Roman's been wrestling for 7 years.

You'll be surprised.  A few snowflakes out there think Strowman carries Reigns in their matches.  It's crazy. Roman is still learning himself, but he's got more than enough knowledge to work with Braun and make them both look good. It just comes down to hating the guy to the point of irrational.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

You'll be surprised.  A few snowflakes out there think Strowman carries Reigns in their matches.  It's crazy. Roman is still learning himself, but he's got more than enough knowledge to work with Braun and make them both look good. It just comes down to hating the guy to the point of irrational.

There's actually a whole wiki page devoted to the audience's reaction and perception of Roman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_and_reception_of_Roman_Reigns

• Like 1