DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Golden Truth, RIP - 5/15/2017

Dolfan in NYC

Just watched Roman-Balor.  Is it just me or did Roman's shoulder ram into the post look extra nasty.  I flinched when he hit.  Thought he legit hurt himself.  No need for the guy to murderize himself.  Crowds still won't love him.

Other than that, it's mostly a blur.  Granted, I ff'ed through most of it this morning, but it's only been an hour.  Something should have stuck.  Titus was amusing.  Not sure this is going to get Crews over though.  Alexa was ok on the mic.  Couldn't quite figure out why Bayley would be upset over Kurt changing the PPV match to a regular wrestling match.  Bayley insisting on an extreme rules match seems to be trying to manufacture something that isn't there.  Snickered at the idea of a kendo stick on a pole match.

Speaking of which, that kendo stick looked ridiculously large in Alexa's hands, since she's ridiculously tiny.

Goldust stopped Truth from singing.  He may have been the biggest babyface on the show.  They sadldle Truth with some ridiculous angles when they put him on TV.  Dustin should have attacked him when he was costing the team matches while he played Pokemon Go.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Alicia/Sasha again and nice to see Alicia pick up the win. It's almost like they remembered that "hey, if we want these wins against Alicia Fox to mean something then she's got to mean something" Because reminding us that she once held the dead Divas title ain't it lol 

I wasn't too big of a fan of the Bayley/Alexa segment. Maybe I've gotten desensitized to the impact of a kendo stick but I felt like Bayley was out of commission too long just from one hit lol At least the ppv match should be good. Bayley has easily been the woman Alexa's had the best chemistry with in-ring wise since being called up. 

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You really can't help yourself can you?

These jokes and observations are all right there for the taking. If nobody else is going to go for the kill, then I will. I gave ample time for my fellow board members to get that in. If I couldn't help myself, I would have posted that around 11:20 last night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Roman might be Finn's best dance partner ever. Still think it was ridiculous to have it as a throw away rematch and have a clean finish. 

Roman is AJ's only competition for best in the company right now. I also think Roman was Styles' best opponent in WWE so far. I think that performance he had against Braun was a new level for him, and he seems to be getting better. The smarks who say "Roman sucks and doesn't know how to work" are looking more foolish by the day.

• Like 1

Has the argument against Roman ever really been about his ringwork? I think it's mostly his Hogan/Cena superpush because of Vince's undying love for him, while others seemingly get nothing to work with. Plus, while Ambrose and Rollins have evolved from The Shield, Reigns has kept the same music and gear. He's like the guy that's 26 and still wears his high school varsity jacket. He's gotten some god awful material written for him like sufferin' succotash and tater tots, which wouldn't help anybody.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Has the argument against Roman ever really been about his ringwork? 

Oh yeah it has.  Maybe not so much on here, but elsewhere.  I saw one of the smarky recappers recently bitching because Reigns' moveset isn't diverse enough.

You could've made a case that he was a bit green right after the Shield broke up, but at this point the problem with Roman is that WWE (and by WWE I mean Vince) has booked itself (himself) into a death-struggle with a significant portion of its fanbase over the fate of Roman Reigns. WWE (again, Vince) is determined to make Roman into the new Cena, and that portion of the fanbase is determined to boo Roman, no matter how many monsters he slays or obstacles he overcomes.

• Like 1

The funny thing is Roman was getting the kind of reactions they wanted as an ass kicking let my fists do the talking baby face at the end of The Shield's run. Then they started giving him the Cena material and it was just a terrible fit. Then they chickened out of putting him over Brock at Mania because of the fan backlash, but he was so good in the match he had the crowd ready to accept him beating Brock by the end of it.  I get why people thought he was over pushed, and I get why the fan base doesn't want another Cena, but to deny that Reigns is a good worker at this point is just silly.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Victator said:

Think Truth should have fought back some.

This bothered me too. They had him sell the shit out of what was basically just a forearm and look around dazed trying to sell the angle and the "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?" factor of it. Thought Goldust's attack should have been a lot more vicious, especially if they're really trying to get him over as a heel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

This bothered me too. They had him sell the shit out of what was basically just a forearm and look around dazed trying to sell the angle and the "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?" factor of it. Thought Goldust's attack should have been a lot more vicious, especially if they're really trying to get him over as a heel.

I was surprised he did not do a finisher on the floor or something. 

I was at a SmackDown in August of '14 and Roman was over man it was when he was feuding with Orton and Orton was heel. The place loved Roman it was right after The Sheild broke up and Roman was doing the lone member still true to the cause gimmick and the crowd loved him. Fast forward 5 months later at the 2015 Royal Rumble Roman Reigns was like the most despised person on the roster and they hadn't even turned him heel. It's unreal that they haven't turned him heel yet.